Doctor ? PHX area

kimcropable
on 1/2/08 9:06 am - Tempe, AZ
I don't know anymore what I will have done! When I first come to the site, I knew I wanted Lap-Band.  But, now--I am looking into everything. I have been really impressed with the DS.  I think the best for me to do know if to set down with a doctor and talk about my health, weight, and needs.  Talk about the risk of Lap-DS, Band, RNY, etc and what would be the best for me.  I want to make sure I make the right decision and not have to have a revison.  I need to lose around 115-130 lbs.  Close to 115--but according to the weight scales it is 130--which is way to thin for me. Anyway, I live in Tempe and have United Health Care, I would appreciate any doctor recommendations that you have.  I would like a doctor that has a awesome aftercare program and a nice staff, I like a personable doctor. Mostly like everyone else.  I went to the DS website and they didn't list any doctor is AZ., but I know tons of people have had this DS.  I don't want to leave the PHX area if at all possible. Thank you for your help! Kimberly Pervez Tempe, AZ
quiltz
on 1/2/08 1:34 pm - Phoenix, AZ
You need 2 things to get started on this journey.  First, talk to your insurance company to see if they cover DS.  If not, can you pay out of pocket for it?  It may not be fair or what you want, but that is a reality we all face.   Secondly, go to the seminars the doctors in this area offer.  It is a wonderful opportunity to see the doctors and get a feel for the one that best suits you.  You will have many questions answered and leave with a much better understanding of the process.  Each doctor has his or her own differences.  Good luck.
kimcropable
on 1/2/08 2:15 pm - Tempe, AZ
Thanks Quiltz, I had just learned a few hours earlier today that some insurance companies will not pay for the DS, so, we will go that route first.  1) If my insurance will pay for RNY/Band, but not DS, then I will go with what they will pay for, it just part of life, sucks, but life.  2) I don't want to travel out of the area, I want to stay local as I have four children and don't want to leave town for surgery, it would be to hard on my family.  It is me, the kids and my husband, we don't have any other family in the states. Thanks for the insight.  I have seen Dr. Blackstone listed on a lot of people profile, have you been happy with her?  I guess I can look at your profile and see if you have info on her also! Thanks, Kim
Cassi J.
on 1/2/08 3:48 pm, edited 1/2/08 3:48 pm - AZ
Hi Kim! I had Dr Juarez, who does all of the surgeries, or a least that's my understanding.  He is a very experienced abdominal surgeon who began doing primarily (exlusively?) bariatric some years back.  The hospital he uses (St. Luke's Phx) stinks, but that is just two days.  You just have to be VERY proactive and insistent to get nursing attention (typical response time was 30 minutes to bring meds, etc.)  However, my main concern was the skill and experience of the surgeon!  THAT is the thing you have to live with for the rest of your life! Make sure you check everything out.  Every procedure has it's pros and con, of course.  I used to teach childbirth classes, and my mantra was "know your BRA", as in "benefits, risks, and alternatives!" I had RNY, although I started out wanting a lap band.  I realized that it probably wouldn't help me get as far as I needed to go (needed to lose 220 lbs).  And I didn't like the increased malabsorption of the DS and it's potential long term consequences.  So far, I've been very pleased, but I'm still new, so I wouldn't listen to me on that.  Check out lots of websites, go to several docs seminars (they are free, and you get to learn more about the surgeries offered, their practice, their personality, etc.), and talk to people who are at least one year post-op on the different surgeries, if you can. Good luck!  It's a huge, life-long decision.  Don't ru****!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

kimcropable
on 1/3/08 12:43 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks Casie, I am just so upset right now, I just got off the phone with my insurance  company, WLS is not covered in any form or fashion.  I just don't know what to do right now.  Husband says it is just a tool and not the answer, so why am I so upseat.  Of couse, he is 5'5 and 145 since h/school and NEVER had a weight issue, if he is up 5-10 lbs, he just doesn't eat lunch for 4-5 days and he is back down to HIS WEIGHT. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Any Advice?  Maybe I'll see you at LIfetime someday! Kim
Cassi J.
on 1/3/08 2:07 am, edited 1/3/08 2:09 am - AZ
Hi Kim, I can imagine your frustration right now!  Some companies have riders that specifically exclude bariatric surgery.  Some won't even cover office visits for weight loss!  Mine would cover office visits, but not weight loss related prescriptions.  It is completely non-sensical, especially when there are co-morbidities involved! Don't lose your sense of hope.  You have a few options in front of you still.  One, you can look at self-pay. (Lap-band is the least expensive of the WLS options).  If the costs here in the states are more than you can handle, you might consider that it is far less expensive in Mexico.  I've heard that you can get excellent care if you do your homework and choose a reputable surgeon.  You can post on the boards about Mexican surgeons to get more info on that.  However, I'm not sure I would do lap-band in Mexico because of the intense aftercare involved (fills).   The other option is to check out the non-surgical boards here to get support for losing without surgery.  I also like Weigh****cher's because it is balanced and sensible, plus there is weekly support/accountability.  There are certain advantages to the non-surgical route--so try to focus on the positive!   I hope it all works out for you!  Keep us posted!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

kimcropable
on 1/3/08 4:43 am - Tempe, AZ
I will go the Band route most likely but do it in town, I agree with the fill issue also.  I was contact by a MX surgeon w/ a montly trip fee included from San Diego for fills, but I don't want to have to go that far anywya.  I have fibro and it is hard on me to travel plus I have four kids and my husband works long hours as he is a doctor. We will just have to finance or something.  I have dieted myself up to almost 270 lbs, If I keep on dieting, I will be 300, 400 lbs before I know it.  I have heard that Dr. Simpson is pretty resonable on his prices, I have an appt at his seminar on 1/8. Please keep me in you thoughts/prayers that this will still work out. Thanks, Kim
johnb_az
on 1/2/08 9:13 pm - Phoenix, AZ
  I only know Dr. Blackstone.  She has a good after care program.  Her office staff had a change over and it seems a bit unorganized the last time I went.  I need to call today to make my one year appt. for Feb.  She is a bit of a perfectionist and is hard on her staff.  She expects the same level of devotion to her patients.  It is great to be her patient, but a little tough being a staff member if your not driven like she is.  I don't know what she currently offers.  I had originally planed on a lap-band, but she encouraged me to have RNY due to my co-morbidities.  I am glad I made that change as I am off all my prescription drugs and feel better; I was up to $150 a month in co-pays pre-op.  Besides asking here, which is a great way to research, I say hit a few of the Doctor's free seminars and see what you think of the Doctor and the staff. Good luck
kimcropable
on 1/3/08 12:46 am - Tempe, AZ
John, Hey, I posted on your blog yesterday.  You look amazing.  I have the same concern with the band and co-mos.  The band has less chance w/ co-mo.  I have Sleep-Apena and have already have had the surgery to fix in (UPPP) and it didn't work, as mine is so severe.  I also have severe pain in my back and needing to have surgery but he doctor thinks it would be best to wait until after I lose my weight. My Insurance company just informed me that WLS is excluded on our policy.  We had no idea.  My husband doesn't have any weight issues nor have he ever have and doesn't unstand why I am upseat.  I could spit nails!  I just don't know what to do right now. Kim
Janette
on 1/6/08 1:20 pm - Peoria, AZ
Hi Kimberly, As posted everyone likes the surgeon they went to. My suggestion is take the time to call and schedule appts with all in surgeons in the area. My Dr is not one whos name you see often but he was wonderful with me and took the time you needed. You can read posts on the different Drs websites and even look them up on the Az medical board for further background and info. Doing your "homework" is very important!!!Best of luck to you... Janette Rny 7-13-04 366/135       - 230 plus lbs Steven Simon MD (Phx)
Most Active