I'm an open book!

JRinAZ
on 1/1/08 9:44 am - Layton, UT

Just delete this long borring e-mail unless you are one of the folks who have sent me an e-mail recently…….

I can’t sit at the puter long enough to do all the personal replies being sent……I’m sorry!  Since many of you asked the same or similar questions; it’s easier to just consolidate but very rude of me!  Please continue to keep in touch; I’m really not so grumpy when I’m feeling better!  I promise this will be my last mass "answer reply"!!!!

Some Answers to some  e-mails:……..  (I’m not a doc so if I start talking medical stuff then make sure you find out the “real” answer!  LOL!) 

1. Not all WLS post-ops will have a bowel blockage.  You can help prevent it by not allowing constipation, drinking your fluids, making “moments” available for regular routines.  Other illnesses, diseases and body types can contribute to the tendency.  You’d do best to run it past your own doc if you have concerns.  For me, it was a case of having some adhesions, focusing on protein and not countering it enough to flush my system regularly=constipation too often!  (Yikes…dat was naughty potty talk!)

1. I did not have plastic surgery.  I had Exploratory surgery and a Revision from  Proximal Rny to Distal Rny.  (That’s not a DS=Deudenal switch but the results and length of my common channel is similar)  ………..I did however have a cosmetic “procedure” at the same time as the above.  It  was a Phenyl Chemical Peel on my Face.  ….I’ll give those details when the report can be on a happy note!  LOL!

1. Many asked why I was revised to Distal instead of the DS.  The reason is because I was already routed as an Rny and didn’t want to put my body through additional risks to achieve basically the same results.

1. NO, I was not approved for a revision with my insurance.  I didn’t even try it.  I knew I wouldn’t qualify.  My BMI was way too low for any insurance to even open my file!

1. I chose the Revision  option over a stomaphyx because I was already needing to have the exploratory done and the mouth is not in the same area as the lower intestine.  I went the path that made sense to results and my needs. 

1. No, I am not saying the stomaphyx is not successful; just because I have not had it.  If the scenario were completely different and I just needed to find an answer to my regain then I would have definitely gone with the stomaphyx  But I saw it as buying Nike’s or Reeboks.  They’d both get me to my goal but I was going to be in the Nike store anyway.  (o.k. I’ll think of a better analogy sometime!  LOL!)  The main thing is that I still think stomaphyx is a possitive solution to some situations and should I need to find something in the future then it will most likely be my next step!

1. My hubby doesn’t work for Dr. Gitt.  I do.  My DH just hangs with me at events and helps anyone there who needs a hand; including Dr. Gitt.  Although DH does answer his phone on occasion “Dr. Gitt’s, Help Desk, may I help you!”  …….That’s usually after I’ve called him 3 times already for computer help!!!!

1. To give you the exact differences between a DS and a Distal are more confusing than my scrambled brain can handle right now.  I would suggest “Googling” it.  Or if you can give me a week or 2 then I’ll see if Dr. Schlesinger can explain it to me in “my terms” so that I can pass it on to you.  Of go to his website.  I think he talks about all the differences in the surgery options there: azwls.com

1. I didn’t return to my original Bariatric surgeon because Dr. Zahn is retired and because Dr. Schlesinger is a General Surgeon as well as a Bariatric surgeon and takes care of other emergencies such as bowel obstructions.  Besides he has an excellent reputation and lots of experience in Revisions.  I didn’t go to Dr. Simpson because I didn’t want a band over my Rny.  Dr. Simpson is a fabulous Lapband surgeon.

1. The reason I had the Chemical peel done on my face at the same time as my exploratory/revision surgery is because Dr. Schlesinger was using one of the North Valley Outpatient Surgery O.R.’s to my surgery and Dr. Gitt was able to arrange his schedule so he could slip in right after Dr. S was done.   Dr. Gitt also uses the O.R.’s there.  (It was great so I wouldn’t have to repeat I.V., anesthesia, etc. all over again!)

1.  Chandler WLS Support Groups meet on the 2nd Weds and 4th Tuesday from 6 to 7:30 pm.  They are held at Chandler Regional Hospital on Frye and Dobson in the lower level conference rooms.  EVERYONE is always welcome.  Di Pinion from our group will be coordinating the first 3 months worth of meetings so they will be amazing!  I will get back there as soon as I can.

1. Yup!  I’m still looking for invitations to support groups around AZ.  It’s my 2008 Walk About AZ for Getting to Goal!

1.  I belong to L.A. Fitness but am considering moving to Lifetime so I can workout by my office.

1. Recovery for Revisions is generally 3 to 8 weeks if done open.  A few days if done lap.

...15.  I LOVE facial hair on men but I'm not the one that is kissing you!  Your pics are fantastic!  Kudos 2 both of you on your 2008 goals and your 2007 success!  You are a hot hot hot couple!

Whew!!!!!  Crazy!  I hope noone actually read all of that stuff but maybe you found your answer somewhere.

I promise I’ll be back into the free exchange of e-mails in a few weeks….

Happy New Years WLS Buds!

Joyce

Cassi J.
on 1/2/08 7:47 am - AZ
Hey Joyce, Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about Lifetime.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!  We have been members there for several years, and I love the variety--racquetball, rock climbing, lots of swimming lanes, etc.  Plus all the usual cardio and weight equipment.  It's a little bit more in cost, but worth it (to me, anyway!)
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

kimcropable
on 1/2/08 9:09 am - Tempe, AZ
We just joined lifetime also, it is very nice.  They have personal trainers (costly) and I like doing my Aqua Therapy in the pool there.  I am unable to walk on the upstrairs due to my back, and only allowed to go into the water there--but love the water. If you have younger kids, they have awesome childcare and a healthy cafe in the bldg also.  It is really nice.  It is almost like being at a resort.  I am the Tempe one and love it.  It is always very clean the the emolyees are always very professional to me and my family. Kim Tempe
Cassi J.
on 1/2/08 3:24 pm - AZ
Yeah, the child centers are awesome.  Of course, I'm biased on that point, since my daughter works there!  We are at the Gilbert location, though.

JRinAZ
on 1/3/08 4:53 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Cassi! You're on my side of town!  Too bad I'm always working on the OTHER side of town or maybe we could grab a workout together! I've been to Lifetime before.  It is definitely a place you want to stay at for a while.  I actually love my LA Fitness cuz it's just a mile from my house and I can zip in and out quickly.  They have oodles of each type of machine so there's never waiting.  It's for the no fuss person who just want a good workout which works for me.  They offer some fun spin classes and step combo's that I enjoy too.  But.....Lifetime is close to work and the office staff works there soooooo......I'll go enjoy myself with the group!  ....whatever gets me there, right!!!! You should hang with us at the Chandler Support group sometime! Kudos on your weight loss and your workout routine!  Weigh 2 go!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Cassi J.
on 1/3/08 5:29 am - AZ
I came for the first time in November--just days before my surgery.  I'm the one who sat next to you.  Of course, there wasn't one in December (unless I missed it).  I am planning to be there for January.  Second Wednesday, right?

JRinAZ
on 1/3/08 7:01 am - Layton, UT
LOL!  Cassi!  I remember YOU!  You totally rock!  I remember we had two similar names join us and I twisted the names/faces immediately!   Sorry sweetie!  Don't be offended when I ask your name each week for a couple of years!  LOL!  I stink with names!  It's a good thing I belong to a Church where we can call each other Brother and Sister and get off the hook! I'm not sure I'll make the 2nd Wedsneday.  We'll see.....I may be starved for some weight loss chatter and wander on over.  I had a little set back today with my incision area.  I guess I have to have my wound packed for a few days.  Bummer!!!!  .....I'm crossing fingers and toes that it doesn't need a wound vac!  I'm pushing protein but now that I'm Distal I absorb it even less.  Oh well......By March I'll be doing the wildflower hikes, right!!!!
Joyce 

Cassi J.
on 1/3/08 9:03 am - AZ
Don't worry, I'm the same way!  I remember faces/stories/etc., but for some reason, names have a hard time sticking! Our church congregation recently combined with another due to geographic realignment, and I keep saying that we should all wear nametags for the first year or so.  Noboday has taken me up on that yet!

Celeste R
on 1/2/08 9:55 am - Maricopa, AZ
WOW Joyce I had no idea so much was going on. I haven't  talked to yo much since my surgery. I hope all is going well for you. I am finally up and around but a lot of swelling in the stomach area. Well I hope you are feeling well soon. I look forward to seeing you at one of my post of visits.... Take Care!!!! Celeste R.
JRinAZ
on 1/3/08 4:46 am - Layton, UT
Hi there girlfriend! Yup!  I'm just a patient over there myself these days!  LOL!  I just found out I need to go in daily though to get my incision packed (bummer!) so I may bump into you.  If not, I'm planning on being back to work by the 3rd week of January.  I'll give you a call!  I hope you're feeling great and loving your looks!  ....  By the way....I think you need to update your pic on here sweetie pie!  You are like half the girl in that photo!!!! Talk to you soon and take care of YOU!
Joyce 

Most Active