My surgeon didn't remember me at post op!

Beckmo
on 12/31/07 7:47 am - Mesa, AZ
I have Dr. Juarez and when I went in for my post op, he didn't remember my name (pretty normal, I guess) but then he didn't know if he did surgery on me, when he did surgery, what surgery, etc.  It was a little unsettling.  You would hope your surgeon remembers you in some way... it had only been two weeks.  I don't know if someone wasn't entering information into their computer systems or what... but no one had it down that I had surgery and when it was.  That is kind of scary.  Has anyone had that experience with Dr. Juarez?
pwrightt
on 12/31/07 10:35 am - PHOENIX, AZ
If a doctor did not have your chart in front of them I believe this would happen all the time. They see so many patients. I know it hurts your feelings but don't let it. Just be glad you're on a brand new exciting journey. As for your weight post its very common to plateau and then your weight will start dropping again. You've lost 22 lbs in two weeks. That's huge. Give your body time to catch up. Your well on your way.  Good luck Pam
ginau
on 12/31/07 4:16 pm - mesa, AZ

I am not a big Juarez fan .. I am not surprised to hear  this at all !  and it really doesnt say much for him ... But it should be clearly marked in your file.    I am so happy your down 22 lbs  already and I am sure  he will make a point to know you the next time you go in for a check up .

Beckmo
on 1/1/08 3:55 am - Mesa, AZ
He had his laptop with him but as I read other things in the forum, it sounds like he had 4 office people quit and maybe one of them were suppose to enter my information in the computer so he had it when I had my visit.   I am hoping the next visit goes better. Thanks for the encouragement of the weight loss.  They tell you that the first 6 months is the fastest weight coming off and I thought that I had just wasted a week with no loss. Thanks, Becky
20candy07
on 1/1/08 7:16 am - Tolleson, AZ
Twenty - two pounds is great!!  Keep up the good work....I lost 24 in 3 weeks so I believe you are on track...I'm almost 12 weeks post op and 40 pounds down.....so you're doing great!!  I just bought a scale yesterday.  Dr. J's office is a mess.  His files sound like the office staff is not updating the online charts.  When I went for my release back to work check up he had just started using that new laptop.  I don't think they ever filled out my disability forms.   If you feel you are not on track for weight loss, call the dietician.  She returns calls the same day.  She also has email.   Happy New Year, Becky!!
kimcropable
on 12/31/07 1:50 pm - Tempe, AZ
It depends what kind of relationship that you have with him.  If you only had seen him one time and then at surgery, and he is a busy surgeon, then maybe he would forgoten, but still it didn't sound like he handled professionaly, you take the situation and handle it differenly and the pt doesn't feel so bad. I had heard a lot of neg things about his office, are you happy with the staff there? Kim Tempe
Beckmo
on 1/3/08 2:48 am - Mesa, AZ
I think Dr. Juarez is nice.  He takes time to answer your questions and helps you understand... the staff?  No, I am not happy with his staff.  They don't really return calls and I have heard it is even worse since I have had to work with them to get clearance and a surgery date.   You are right, though... I just saw my surgeon in May when I talked to him about getting surgery and then never saw him again until December when I had surgery.  It wasn't so much he didn't recognize me it was more that he didn't know he did surgery on me, or what surgery... he had no notes to keep him up to date.... then again it could be the absent staff that would have input them into the computer/laptop for him. Becky - Mesa
kimcropable
on 1/3/08 4:34 am - Tempe, AZ
It sounds more like the staff wasn't keeping him infomed that anything.  I wasn't really worry about it.  After a few visits he may/may not remember you.  Surgeons are really well know for that (lack of bed side manner or lack of personality) and in fact unusally the worse they are, they better the surgeron.  LOL Anyway, just keep up the good more and not take it to heart.  I beat he will take note for next time and felt pretty bad about it. hugs, Kim
huskerfan85
on 1/2/08 10:58 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I think that is scary...I have run into my surgeon outside of the hospital, and he always calls me by name.  I hope that everything else is going well with you.
Gayle  6'2" 

jschlechty
on 1/3/08 12:40 am - Mesa, AZ

Well, I guess that helps explain my problems the last month or so with Dr. Juarez's office.  I think I must have got my clearances all done about the time Angelia quit.  After that it took forever to get ahold of the new schedulaer - Nicole.  I can never seem to get anybody to return calls from the office no matter how many messages I leave - I always have to call them.

I finally got ahold of Nicole yesterday after trying since Dec. 10th.  When I mentioned that nobody had returned calls, etc. she said "Dr. Juarez has been out of town for the last week and a half" as if that explained everything.  Nothing about losing 4 staff people, etc.  I know they are probably shorthanded, but to not return over 10 messages over 3 weeks?  I've dealt with a lot of dr's offices in my 48 years, and this one has defintely been the most difficult one to work with. . .

Most Active