OT - potential relocation to Scottsdale area

Renee_J
on 12/17/07 12:25 am - Shakopee, MN
Hi.  I have a potential relocation opportunity (job) in the Scottsdale area.  Can anyone give me any idea about the economy, housing market, quality of life in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area?  I've read conflicting things online, but would love to hear some opinions from OH folks.  Thanks for any info you can provide!
JRinAZ
on 12/17/07 1:14 am - Layton, UT

Hi Renee, Scottsdale is high end for AZ but is possibly much less than where you are coming from.  ....We are a laid back bunch for the most part with a wide open countryside.  Outdoor recreation is available year round but some of us treat 3 months in the summer like you may treat your 3 months of blizzard conditions.  We stay indoors!!!  LOL!  Around July and August you'll want to live just about anywhere else.  Around Feb, you'll think you are in Heaven! Good luck!  We would probably be a grand adventure for you!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

quiltz
on 12/31/07 4:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Coming to Arizona from Minnesota is a learning curve in itself.  It gets hot here!  You hear people say "Oh, it is dry heat".  Let me tell you, 115 degrees is hot wet or dry!  We still had temperatures in the 90's in November!  You will be giving up 4 real seasons.  That being said....Scottsdale is a very progressive city with lots of fun things to do.  It is also expensive here.  The housing is probably the main expense, but I find the gas in stations here high when compared to the rest of the city (Phoenix).  Transportation in this area is a bit of a headache.  There are frequent tie-ups on the freeways so I would strongly suggest finding a home near your job.  There are many opportunities to do outside sports...climbing, etc.  One of the neatest things living here in my mind is the close proximity to Sedona or even a bit further north into the mountains and cooler weather.  The medical community is great including a Mayo Clinic.  There is a very active bariatric community in this area.  Dr. Robin Blackstone is in Scottsdale and works in a Center of Excellence, but there are other very good doctors in the area as well.  Shopping is great...lots of choices to pick from.  There are several large shopping areas where all stores can be accessed from the parking lot rather than having to mess with malls.  If you have any specific questions, please pm me and I'll try to help.
Most Active