Help I am 3 days post op lap band and don't know if I do protein

Bobbienew
on 12/15/07 1:53 pm - AZ
I have two different  print outs from the office. One says clear liquids and broth. The other one states the same and 3 days and more out add protein shakes. If I do shakes how much and how often?
JRinAZ
on 12/16/07 12:48 am - Layton, UT
Programs differ but the standard is to add 3 or 4 protein shakes; using them as a meal supplement in your very early days.  Later, you may want to have just 1 a day as a meal supplement or as a healthy nutrition supplement since lapbanders don't have malabsorption issues; the additional protein grams just keeps you healthy and helps with the losing.  .....High protein grams daily can benefit everyone who has had ANY major surgery because it promotes healthy healing.  Since you'll be in a stage for a while where you can't get what you need from lean dense protein, the protein drinks will provide the much needed nutrition.  It may also put your body into a state of ketosis which is fat burning.  Signs that you are in ketosis might include a headache early on that eventually leaves as your body adjusts as well as nasty breath and a reducton of cravings for carbs. (a good thing) You can still have the broth or soups but may want to add one scoop of the flavorless protein to add an additional 17 grams of protein to your daily count. (Unjury brand or Any Whey....both available on-line) Just use this as yiour weekend "holdover" information and get in touch with your doc's office tomorrow to get your exact instructions.  Programs vary.  You may also want to check out lapbandcentral.com  I think they have oodles of info. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss surgery! LOSER'S ROCK!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Bobbienew
on 12/16/07 12:53 pm - AZ
Thanks for your great direction. Your revision is fast approaching. Blessings and Health, Bobbie
Most Active