Help me help myself!

JRinAZ
on 12/15/07 5:37 am - Layton, UT
Hi friends! I am having a revision on 12/26.  I'm giving myself a clean slate!  I am determined to be compliant and aggressive in my campaign for better health!  Soooooooooooo.......I've decided to dedicate 2008 as a period to "pump it up" with insipiration, education and support. I have long known the value of support groups and what I know the amazing part to be ....is that there is always something new or something inspirational at each one.  Defintely different personalities and experiences!  ..........Since I hang at the Chandler group all the time (and will continue to)....I am wanting to branch out.  My goal for 2008 is to attend a many support groups in AZ as possible! Since some of you are attending great support groups that are for your surgeon's post-ops only ....I'm hping that you'd consider letting me be your guest sometime?  I'm not too obnoxious and I promise not to talk too much!  If you would be so kind as to include me; i would absolutey LOVE it (and you!)..... Or...if your program allows open attendance, could you post that as well? Thanks ahead for your support!  I'm thinking this is something like an Australian "Walkabout"...only mine is a support group quest!  If you'd rather pm me than post publicly; my home e-mail is [email protected] pleeeeeeeez help me help myself!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

M. clarke
on 12/15/07 8:15 am
Wow Joyce. Your post was so inspiring it makes me want to go to a support group :)
cindy
on 12/16/07 2:57 pm - Mesa, az
Hi Joyce, I was just wondering why you are going with an revision instead of the Stomyahe (spelling)?  I had my open RNY in 2003 with Dr Zahn.  I have gained about 4o pounds from my lowest weight and was considering a revision or a stomyahe (sp). I am happy with my weight now and have been the same weight up or down 10 pounds for about one year now.  My primary care doctor is finding that my thyroid numbers are changing, so he wants to work with that, so I am not rushing into a surgery until that is under control, I do have thyroid issues and even though that has never affected my WLS, he thinks it may be messing with my weight, and my medication has not been changed in 12 years. But, if the adjustment of medication does not help, I will be researching a revison or the stomyahe, so I hope you feel comfortable letting me know why you choose revision. Thanks, Cindy Smith
JRinAZ
on 12/17/07 1:10 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Cindy! I am very comfortable talking about my journey.  I always hope that something i may share may help someone else somehow; whether it's so they don't do the same thing  or so they actually may decide to do the same thing. I'm having Dr. Schlesinger revise me from proximal to distal because he's going to have me open anyway.  "If" I were just shopping for something to fix my dilema, I would definitely have the stomaphyx and I may still do that in the future.   I'm having a bowel "tweaking" type surgery so he will be in ithe 'zone" and will be able to do the revision without a huge extra expense to me.  It should definitely do the trick for my 30 pound regain.  But....he won't be addressing my stoma/pouch at all.  I'll have the stomaphyx option available if I decide i need something in the future. Malabsorptive procedures are typically recommended for those who have 50 or more pounds to lose or "relose".  Stomaphyx typically helps those with under 50.  He will definitely do both at the same time if the patient has the diagnostics needed to prove medical necessity. I know he does complimentary consultations so you might want to give his office a call. (480) 419-2280 and visit with Kathy, his Bariatric Coordinator.  He specializes in revisions so is a good place to shop for grads like yourself!   Dr. Fang and Dr. Juarez at Bridges also do revisions and I think stomaphyx too?  (not sure on that one...last I checked, Dr. S was the only one in AZ) Good to see your face on the boards posting!  Good luck with your thyroid issues.....I just hate that some of our medical problems are weight related!
Joyce 

cindy
on 12/17/07 1:47 pm - Mesa, az

Joyce Thanks for being so open about your upcoming surgery.  I have heard that quite a few post (2-5 years) have problems with bowels.  I hope that your surgery goes well. I read the boards, but I don't respond alot, I may give a call to visit the office, but I want to see how the change in my thyroid medications works first.  I had my medication increased today, and they want me to use this new dosage for 6 weeks and then check my blood work.  The thyroid Ultra Sound showed some swelling in the gland on the left side.  Again, I was told that it might be messing with my weight. I called my insurance and the Stomaphyx is not covered, I wonder if it is expensive.  I have had a breast reduction, tummy tuck with hernia repair, and my arms done, some cost insurance paid, and some cost I paid, so having the stomaphyx done may depend on the cost. Thanks again for the information. Cindy Smith

JRinAZ
on 12/18/07 10:12 am - Layton, UT

Cindy, Stomaphyx is $8,000.00 with Dr. Schlesinger, $10,500.00 with Dr. Overcash and $9800.00 with Dr. Garber (gie or take a couple)........They were the first biggies in the Nation to be certified.  I understand there's a couple of others that have started in AZ but not sure about who they are or if they've done enough to feel "safe" with? Good luck with your thyroid testing!  Good to hear from you! Merry Christmas!

Joyce 

cindy
on 12/18/07 1:29 pm - Mesa, az

Joyce, Thanks for the information, the price with Dr. Schlesinger is not as bad as I thought it would be.  I will diffently keep that as a back up. I had my thyroid meds increased, and two doctors told me that I may lose some weight now that the thyroid has been adjusted.  I sure hope, if not I will call Dr. Schlesinger office for sure. I have about $10,000 set aside, sooooooooooooooooo that would be a good reason to spend some of that money.  Hope you have a good holiday. Cindy

Most Active