So here I am...3 days post-op

Megs515
on 12/14/07 1:47 am - Phoenix, AZ
So I'm am 3 days out from surgery. Dr. Juarez was absoutely wonderful! I got home from the hospital yesterday and am relieved to be someplace comfortable. I was relieved when I got on the scale yesterday and saw that I hadn't gained any weight from the saline or from the gases. That was very reassuring. I am VERY sore but it is actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. And so my journey begins. I've been having some trouble so far. It is hard for me to eat because I don't feel hungry. But I know, that in order to get the changes I wanted, I have to make myself do it. The same goes with the protein drink. YUCK!!! Anyway, I'm going to get going but I will keep everyone posted!!! And I wanted to say thank you to all of you that have offered words of wisdom and support. THANK YOU!
M. clarke
on 12/14/07 1:59 am
Congrats on your surgery!!! You poor thing that you have to start eating already!!  That has to be tough to do just 3 days post op!  Just keep trying. It will get easier. The protein drinks are yuck, but once your pouch gets a little stronger you can sample some different ones and find ones that taste a little better :)
quiltz
on 12/14/07 4:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the Loser's Bench.  This will be an incredible time for you.  Every day you get stronger and healthier and happier!!!  Remember to get rest, you did have major surgery and your body needs it to heal just like it needs you to get proper fluids, proteins and exercise.  I'm with you on the protein liquids.  Not good at all!  Won't be long before you can start using protein balls.  They get the protein in and don't taste like the bottom of a sock!  All the best.
beckiemclarty
on 12/14/07 1:34 pm - Pine, AZ
Hang in there - you have made the first stwp to a new you!  You will do fine, jut\st follow docs orders and the weight will come off.  Best of luck to you.  These message boards are helpful when you need a boost!
JRinAZ
on 12/14/07 3:17 pm - Layton, UT
How ya doin Meg????   Up for brunch tomorrow?  ..........Just a note to remind you that YOU come first and being a LOSER requires much TLC to oneself for a while.  If we don't see you tomorrow then we'll know you're getting the R & R that you need .....but, if you do feel like a little outing then I promise to only give gentle hugs!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 12/14/07 5:44 pm - Peoria, AZ
Welcome to the losing side.  I sure hope to meet you this weekend but if you don't feel up to it, I sure can understand.  It does get easier as the days go by and then it gets harder (after 12 months or so) because then you are responsible for what happens.  Take advantage of this time to learn the "new" way of living so that can be your goal for the rest of your life.  You've started on a journey that will bring all sorts of new and wonderful things.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Megs515
on 12/14/07 11:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you guys for all of your kind words!! The days are definitely getting easier. I tried to sleep in my own bed last night but I realized that after 3 hours that it was too soon for me. I woke up hurting so I decided to sleep in the recliner again. Joyce - I'm going to attempt to come this afternoon. I'm feeling up to it so far but I'm not sure how I will feel in a couple of hours... Thank you everyone for your support! You all are amazing!!!
pwrightt
on 12/15/07 11:33 am - PHOENIX, AZ

Glad everything went well. I have a question? What are you trying to eat. I know Dr.Juarez is pretty strict for his post op patients with regards to eating. Double check what you should be eating. I believe for the first two weeks its pretty soft stuff. Be careful your pouch needs time to heal. As for the protein YUCKS. I agree. But its necessary. And drink plenty of water.  Good luck and get plenty of rest Pam

Megs515
on 12/16/07 4:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Pam.  Yeah, right now I'm doing to "full liquids." So its cream of wheat, grits, soups, yougurt...stuff like that. This is actually harder than I thought it was going to be. Especially when the people around me keep bringing in all of the food that I used to eat. Oh well. This will definitely pay off in the end!! Megan
SisterMadly
on 12/19/07 12:37 am
This full liquids is sooooo hard for me too.  It is so frustrating to see the rest of the family enjoying Pizza, etc.  I don't even want to smell it.  It puts me in a really bad mood. 
Most Active