Gallstones

badamczyk
on 10/12/07 12:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone: Just curious if anyone had issues with Gallbladders?  I went to the hospital yesterday, and got all my pre-op testing done. . .btw, my surgery is two weeks from today!!!  Anyway, found out yesterday during my testing that I have quite a few gallstones in ye ol' gallbladder.  I was just curious what treatment options there are?  Or is surgery the only way? Thanks! B
~Believe and Succeed!  There is magic in believing. . .PB~
KRISTIN S.
on 10/12/07 4:16 am - AZ
I know that my Drs said they would take it out at time of surgery.

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

badamczyk
on 10/12/07 5:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks!  It's what I was hoping for.
soon2bnewme
on 10/12/07 6:38 am - Chandler, AZ
I would insist that they take it out and then you only have one surgery.  I had gallbladder surgery almost 2 years ago and I am so glad that it's gone.  I was sick for a couple of years before that.  I didn't get two surgeries at once but 4 months later I was banded and now I'm doing great.  Don't wait until it flares up and then your really sick.  Good luck,,, Renee'

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  
314/282/156.4/135 (Heaviest/Pre-Op/Current/GOAL) 
Total lost since Banded on August 14th, 2006 "-125.6" pounds  
Total lost since 8/05 "-157.6" pounds

badamczyk
on 10/12/07 7:32 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the info. . .that is my sentiment exactly!  From what I gather, it won't ever get better, and it's just a matter of time before it starts acting up, in which case, the only alternative is to remove it.  So. . .if they are going in, why not do everything at once!  I am glad to hear you say that. Thanks a bunch.
westvalley
on 10/12/07 9:36 am - Glendale, AZ
I was having gallbladder attacks...YOU DON"T WANT THOSE! so I had no choice but to have it removed. I had HUGE stones and my gall bladder was severly inflammed. I think it's common for surgeons to remove it during WLS if there is a problem with it. And I did tell you they had to open me up but if you are able to have your surgery laproscopically then they should be able to remove it the same way, my situation was a little different so it was open but then again I don't think the doctor knew what the hell he was doing.... so anywho.......hope that helps BTW your having surgery in two weeks!!! You crack me up. LOL Julie }i{
badamczyk
on 10/12/07 12:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Oh, sounds bad!  I am glad they got it taken care of. . .and I will definitely be asking the doctor about it.  Glad to hear they can do it laproscopically -- guess they will just have to see once they get in there. . .and I crack you up?  Hey, I'm excited -- two weeks and counting.
Nicole W.
on 10/12/07 5:49 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I just had my gallbladder removed 10 months after my RNY surgery...  it was hell for me.  RNY was a piece of cake compared to the gallbladder removal.  My first attack lasted for 4 days, talk about pain!  2nd one was for 2 days. I really didn't want to have it removed because I didnt want to be down with a surgery, but the doctor told me what happens when gallstones get in the way and it is pretty scary.  It can back up your liver function, plus the pain sucks! Hopefully they will just remove it during your surgery and you won't have any problems.  Getting re-adjusted to food again after the gallbladder removal was tough. Good Luck on your surgery... I am sure it will be great!

TinkerBell

badamczyk
on 10/12/07 11:58 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, that's what I hear -- the pain sucks!  I honestly have not had any major symptoms, which totally surprised the t echnician doing my ultrasound because of the amount of the stones, and the size.  I did, however, feel excruciating pain when she conducted the exam.  So my concern is, do they leave it as is and wait for problems to occur?  OR, is the presence of the stones enough for them to get rid of it???  I put a call into my doctor's office, but have not heard back so now I will have to wait until next week.  I'm like you, I want to avoid another surgery if possible, so it makes sense to me to have it done all at the same time.  Since you have to readjust to food as a result of the bypass, it seems to me this would be the time -- but then, who am I???    I'm so sorry to hear you had to suffer so much -- eee gads, it sounds awful.  But I truly appreciate the information. Thanks again.
Lori M.
on 10/13/07 12:52 am - Queen Creek, AZ
I know that at my first appointment they told me that they would do an ultrasound on my galbladder because if it needed to be removed they would just do it while they were doing the surgery... It sounds like they probably did the same thing with you... they were probably doing the ultrasound for that specific reason.  I'm sure your doctor's office will let ya know for sure!
Most Active