Tennage Obesity - Any Help?

Candi Y.
on 9/27/07 3:08 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Hey everyone, Was wondering if anyone might know of a program (If possible FREE) to help with Nutrition and obesity with/in Teenagers.  My son has battled weight like myself and I really thought with Mom having had this surgery and not havng any JUNK in the house would help the whole family, but my son is now licensed and goes and gets the junk himself now, normally during football season he'll loose anywhere from 10-15lbs cause they practice so much, had him weigh here yesturday and hes GAINED 10lbs, as a mom this is KILLING me and I dont want to fight or argue with him, but I really think I need help here and was just wondering if ANYWHERE in Phoenix there might be some type of program or class I could take him too, I'm gonna also ask my Doc about it as well, I just need some help with this.  Thanks you guys!!
jenniebr
on 9/27/07 4:11 am - queen creek, AZ
Candi,  I have a teenage daughter in the same boat.  She plays HS softball, during the season she is in shape and doing great.  Then post season, its a struggle.  I ended up speaking to the pediatrician and he recommend taking her to a nutritionist and get her to the gym.  So I did that, well worth our time and money.  As a person that is pretty good control of what I eat and what I buy for the family, its hard to control what they do outside of the house.  We now have family workout time, we joined the YMCA years ago and are now finally using it! We get the kids walking to visit friends and taking the smaller kids to the park.  We live in rural area as I think you do so its not realistic to have them walk to many more places.But now our daughter is making better choices when she is with friends and feeling better about herself.  Discussing weight issues with teens is hard to do, but as a loving mother I know you are only trying to lead him down a different path than what we took.  I am happy to see you taking the reins and doing what is best for your son and family.  You can check with your insurance to see if they offer nut consults, he should be able to workout at the high school if he is an athlete.  Check with your sons football coach too, often they are willing to work with the kids on working out and establishing a routine.  Or maybe have him take up another sport during the off season.  Keep your head up and know you are doing all you can and he will respond to your extra efforts!   Awesome job your loss!  I am always stoked to see patients working that band!!  You go girl! Keep us posted on everything! Jen
Candi Y.
on 9/27/07 8:26 am - Cottonwood, AZ

Thanks Jen,

Tomm I will make some phone calls to insurance co and also local offices about nutriton.  He works out EVERYDAY lifting weight s for football, so his activity level is HIGH during season and him and I already discussed a qym for the off season, what hes real problem is is his eating habits, thats why I'm thinking let him met with someone other then myself to give him advise!  Thanks for your important as I'm sure you know the pain we feel when they feel pain!

quiltz
on 9/27/07 12:46 pm - Phoenix, AZ
FYI..one of my sons played both high school and college football.  There was a constant push to keep their weight up!  Of course, they talked a lot about muscles, etc., but unless the player was becoming really obese to the point he couldn't play, it was not a negative.
Candi Y.
on 9/28/07 12:53 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Yes I am dealing with the coaches NOT telling him he should shed some pounds and I wish I could get their help with it, right now they are too into the season, but they train all year round and I thought I would speak with the coach after the season, but yes they want their lineman big, but my son knows he would still be big if he shed 40-50lbs!  Its about strength!  Thanks for your input!
poohspal
on 9/28/07 4:29 am - AZ
I have this same problem but my kids are still little..  I really hoped the same thing. that with the sugery and no junk they would just amazingly not have the probelm anymore.  My Pediatrican takes one look at me and says it starts at home.  yeah thanks.  I hoping with the cooler weather, we get out and about much more.  Good luck with yours.  I am so not looking forward to Teens!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
Candi Y.
on 9/28/07 7:33 am - Cottonwood, AZ

Thanks Pooh,

And really make it a point to work on changes while their younger, cause just like us, its even harder as they get older!  Been thinkin about you, hows that 2 fill working for you?  And I'm sorry for all you went through, I meant to write to you.  Hang in there and try to change something up and see how that might help, I am at a standstill for about 2 weeks, actually thik I've gained this week, we'll see, but it MY FAULT cause I'm starting to feel good about myself and think I can eat crap!  Crazy what a fight this is!!!  keep in touch!

poohspal
on 9/28/07 8:40 am - AZ
Hey you.  The fill itself is pretty good. I feel restriction and I get the 'reminders' when I eat to fast or too big a bite, but I still have not lost any weight.  its crazy. I'm tryin to stay upbeat, but its hard. At least there is any crap to eat in the house, now all I have to do is not eat too much.
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
Candi Y.
on 9/28/07 2:30 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
Hang In there Pooh, I'm sure that is FRUSTRATING, but I'm sure your loosing inches!!  HANG IN THERE and we're all here for ya!
poohspal
on 9/28/07 4:08 pm - AZ
Inches?  yeah, that was my hope too.  Nope not a one.  But I'm hangin. I paid too much not to right? 
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
Most Active