tips for pre-op diet

asugrad06
on 8/28/07 2:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am beginning my pre-op diet and can really use any all tips you may have..the dos and donts!! I am scheduled for surgery 9/19 and am so ready to be "loser"!
Candi Y.
on 8/29/07 3:15 am - Cottonwood, AZ
I can't really give you any pre-op diet advise because it was something I wasn't required to do (?), dont know why?? But what I can say is that you've chosen THE BEST DOC IN THE WORLD!  So you'll be in good hands!  Try and stick with it and follow Doc's guidelines!  Good Luck and keep us posted!
poohspal
on 8/29/07 2:07 pm - AZ
Hi   The pre-op diet was the hardest for me.  Its like I shouldn't eat but I can!  After you know  your healing and there is a reason for it. that being said,  stick with your Docs rules.  absolutley.  I did have my episodes where I just had to chew something!  Some people chew and then spit it out.  not for me thank you.  I did Tuna.  Plain, packed in water tuna.  its about 17 grams of protein, no fat so it works.  The reasons theyhave us do the pre op are very important.  one of them being to "shrink the organs.  when you loose weight you loose it around your organs first and they need to be able to move around in there and 'see everything" they need to.  Its a very important step.  you can do this.  try the protein drinks all different ways. my fav is unflavored with crystal light, you don't really know its in there and so I  am getting my protein and liquid all in the same yummy drink.
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
johnb_az
on 8/30/07 1:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
+1 on trying to lose weight to help shrink the organs, mainly the liver, before surgery.  If you drink soda or coffee I suggest you try to stop that before surgery.  It is stressful enough recovering from surgery.  You don't need the added withdrawl from soda and caffeine post op.  Good luck
redrum602
on 9/1/07 2:14 am - Chicago, IL
What I would say is if you are the least bit hungry - suck a protein shake down! Don't let yourself get to the point that you are starving - because if you do, you will eat something that you are not supposed to. Also - I would say day 3 is the hardest so if you are getting really hungry that day, just keep drinking the protein. Before you know it, you will be in surgery!!

-Good luck - I promise you can do it because I did!!
Most Active