the truth about drinking w\meals

sgirl
on 7/20/07 3:33 am - tucson, AZ
ok, question: So are we not allowed to drink with meals because it stretches our pouches? OR Are we not allowed to drink with meals because it robs our stomachs of nutrients we need? I have heard so many different reasons, but the doc. says that it is both.  Sometimes, when we are out and about, and I need to stop for a meal, I usually order a drink with my meal.  Always water or tea, NEVER SODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THAT WOULD BE DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I usually try to wait the 30 minute window, but sometimes fall short of that.  I know that I have been successful thus far because of my compliance to the program.  Any ideas, suggestions, complaints, whatever?
Arizona_Sun
on 7/20/07 5:20 am - Gilbert, AZ
We don't drink with our food because it washes the food on through and we eat more than we should and thus add in a lot more calories.  I will occasionally have a small sip with my food if my throat gets too dry,but try to limit my water drinking to before the meal arrives and don't drin****il 30 minutes after.  I usually use the pre-meal phase to get in a good size glass of water.  I was trying tea as a special treat to me, but now have calcium deposits in a kidney, so no more tea (the tannins in it can cause stones). 

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

nicoleaz
on 7/20/07 8:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
This is the same explanation provided by my surgeon - the liquid pushes the food through and makes room for more food. I have never heard that drinking during meals stretches the pouch or robs it from nutrients. I'm sure if you drink enough the former could occur, but I'm not sure about the nutrients - that doesn't make any sense to me. Bottom line - don't drink with your meals. If you want the tool to work as it was intended, ya hafta follow the rules!
Arizona_Sun
on 7/20/07 8:56 am - Gilbert, AZ

The drinking stretching the pouch myth has always mystified me. If it is a thin liquid it would just flow on through.  The only time it might not would be in the early stages when there is a lot of swelling.  I do wonder how some of these myths get started and then taken as truth.  Anyway, unlike you I have heard that particular "fact". 

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

JRinAZ
on 7/20/07 9:07 am - Layton, UT
Fluid swishes the food through the pouch!  .....When our pouch is full ....our pouch is happy!  ........Empty pouches look for more food and so grazing habits can run crazy..........before you know it you can have a gain!!!!  I don't see how fluids would ever stretch the pouch unless you have a lot of bread parked in there which could swell but bread shouldn't be parked in there in the first place and more than likely it would just be pushed through anyway. Nutrients?  I don't think we have any absorption in the pouch anyway?  IF that were the case then our liquid vitamins would zip through too quickly to do us any good. Water load before eating and then wait at least 30 minutes.  You'll remain a happy LOSER!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

poohspal
on 7/21/07 11:44 am - AZ
I thought you had to wait 30 minutes before AND 30 minutes after.  Am I wrong?  cause a nice drink before eating would hold me nicely plus!  I would thnk it helps you to feel full faster?  I'm a newbie what can I say!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
nicoleaz
on 7/22/07 2:47 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Yes, my doc says do not drink 30 minutes before, the 20 minutes during, and 30 minutes after meals. Ask your doc's office to be sure, but that's pretty much the standard.
Most Active