Blackstones office

flyrep
on 7/10/07 8:38 am - AZ
poohspal, Thanks for the info. I did call. I also set up a time to meet him.  Im concerned that he hasnt been in a valley too long, at least not this time around. And he is willing to undercut the others in price. I would also have to find my own phc. and thats going to cost a little more then Im willing to pay out of pocket.  I also have another appt. with another doc this week. My appt Eric next next week.  Im thinking on the 2nd doctor more. I may not even go with Blackstone. I post in the main board as too why. Ill let you know! :) Thanks so much for all the help guys!~

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Nicole W.
on 7/9/07 5:36 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Ditto, ditto, ditto on what everyone else said about Dr. Blackstone.  She is one of the best in the valley.  In speaking to many of my doctor's since I had the surgery, Dr. Blackstone has a excellent reputation in the field and they say nothing but great things about her.   She is a wonderful, kind and understanding woman.  She has a wonderful bedside manner and is a lifesaver. My friend is having surgery with her on the 18th and he waited out the 7 month wait... I told him she was worth it!

TinkerBell

alligatorpgr
on 7/10/07 8:26 am - PHOENIX, AZ

She is definitely worth the wait!!! Alli

ALLI 
246/140/127

carolem
on 7/10/07 9:19 am - Austin , TX

Not only is she probably the best surgeon in the country, her office staff is A+ and her entire program works.  Her success rate, regardless of which WLS you choose, if you follow her program you'll do well.  If you try to vary it to your own way of doing things, it won't work. 

I have never regretted waiting for her, and it really was a challenge at times, but in learning about all the things that go wrong and all the people that go through this surgery so unprepared for what's ahead, I feel lucky to have been with Dr. Blackstone and her program.  You absolutely will not be unprepared for life after surgery and I think that is so important.  You don't want to be one of these people who asks after surgery "now what am I suppose to be doing?"  There are way too many of those people from other surgeons that are excellent surgeon's but their programs leave a lot to be desired. 

Good luck with your decision.  She was my husband's surgeon also.

Carole M

Desertflower
on 7/10/07 2:31 pm - Mesa, AZ
I agree with all the other "posters" before me...Dr. Blackstone is a very rare type of surgeon.  I met with her a couple weeks ago for my pre-op visit and she immediately made me feel very comfortable and answered all of my questions. I also think she has a great staff.  They make you feel like family. Good luck on whatever doctor you choose and stay in touch, ok? Robin
jenniferlm
on 7/12/07 6:34 pm - AZ
Dr. Blackstone did my rny 4 years ago. She is an excellent surgeon and i made a great choice. Having said that though.... I did have some issues with her. The first issue was right after my surgery. Right out of surgery you have the pain pump which worked great but then the next day when that is removed you can only have the liquid vicodin. Well number 1, liquid vicodin in the past had always given me a horrible stomache ache and i was not wanting to test out my new, sore already pouch and number 2. I have fibromyalgia and have been prescribed tablet form vicodin by my rheumatologist off and on over the last 10 years. The tablet form does not hurt my stomache but my body has built up a tolerance to it. It's like taking an aspirin, doesn't help me with pain and is pointless. So on day 2 of surgery when the pump was taken out and i was in alot of pain still she said my only option was the liquid vicodin even though i had explained the above to her and we had even discussed my concerns about pain control in a prior office visit months before my surgery... She wouldn't budge on it and even said something along the lines of comparing my situation to that of a heroin addict. Which infuriated me cause while my body may have built up a tolerance, i have never in any way taken my prescribed vicodin to get a high or have abused it. So on day 2 after my rny I was in so much pain because she wouldn't budge on the pain med and give me another option and I wasn't budging on taking the liquid vicodin... I almost checked myself out a day early just so i could go to another hospital er to get some pain relief. My second issue occurred with her 2 weeks after my surgery. I started developing stricture symptoms although i didn't know it was a stricture at the time and I went to an er nearer to my home and was admitted,but then the next day I was transferred by ambulance over to Scottsdale shea where Dr. Blackstone had done my rny. After I arrived she came in to see me. An endoscopy hadn't been done yet and she was very abrupt with me, almost angry and I just got the impression that she didn't think that anything was wrong and that I was exaggerating my symptoms. Although after the endoscopy and tests were done and it showed that not only did I have one but two strictures and an ulcer, Plus i was severely dehydrated due to all that and I was very deficient on things like potassium and b12. After seeing my tests results though her attitude changed completely. Apologetic even. Even with those issues though, I'm still very happy with my choice in surgeons. Because my main priority in choosing a surgeon was their surgical skill and Dr. Blackstone is an excellent surgeon.That was more important to me than bedside manner.
M. clarke
on 7/12/07 7:30 pm
Hi Jennifer. You aren't alone on that one. I also have a tolerance to vicodin so it doesn't do much for my pain relief.  I didn't get a pain pump after throwing up the liquid vicodin, and then I only had it for like 12 hours or something. The it was chopped up pills in jell-o which I couldn't swallow. So I ended up not having much pain medication on the 2nd day as I was never able to get it down. Of course by then I was kinda pissed enough that my anger got me through the pain. I was kinda like screw you then I don't want your medication, I just wanna go home. I think Dr. get on edge today and assume everyone is drug seeking so they are afraid to give them anything strong. Unless they have had to live daily with chronic pain, or know someone who does I am not sure what would ever change there opinion on it. I image they will forever be incapable of having any real compassion for people in that situation. I am still very glad I chose her as my doctor. As she got me through the surgery, and I trusted her completely to do so. The following 4 months sucked LOL, but now all is good and getting better every day!
M. clarke
on 7/12/07 7:21 pm
Great luck with your decision. I know its a big one to make! I was also a self pay. It is a big amount of money to put out there; however it is absolutely worth every penny! Dr. Blackstone is a wonderful surgeon. I felt 100% confident in her capabilities as a surgeon. I do believe her heart is truly in her work and that she genuinely cares about those of us that are over weight, and really does want to help. That was what drew me to her to the most.
flyrep
on 7/12/07 8:17 pm - AZ
Thank you both for sharing your stories with me. I see the other doc in the morning. I wouldnt even think about making this move if he himself where not a center of excellence. I am just no too king on the hospital he does most of his WLS.  She does have more WLS (LAP) done then he has in a short amt of time. And has had only ONE lose in doing so. Even that wasnt about the WLS of her doing. It was a heartattack within 30 days after. A part of me feels like Im only going to do meet him because of my father in law. Though he did call me back got me in the same week and will work me into his Sept WLS. I think its just because he knows my father in law. He seemed very kind and really heard my questions. I cant really say one way or the other till I meet with him.  I always thought I would go with Blackstone. I love how easy her setup is! I mean you spend 4 hours in the 1st meeting getting everything done. Its not like that with the two other centers of excellence's. And I can already tell by some other people emailing me that her after care is WAY better.  So waiting till Jan 08 or getting the WLS in SEPT is where Im at. A few more months in the long run isnt going to hurt anything.  Just thinking out loud lol Sorry...

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Most Active