Sleep Study?

teacherspet
on 6/22/07 1:44 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hello All,      I just went for an initial visit with Dr. Trish Schwartz.  She is ordering a sleep study.  Can anyone tell me what their experience with this study was like. Ticia     
jenncarson
on 6/22/07 1:55 pm - AZ

Hi--- I had my sleep study at Tempe's St. Luke's. I checked in at the hospital in the evening and was taken to the sleep center. The room looked like a 2 star hotel room. It had a queen size bed, a tv, a chair and a bathroom. Before going to sleep, a nurse tapes little probe things to your head, chest and legs and then you are plugged in to a thing at the top of the bed. There is zero pain involved but it is not comfortable with all of the probes and wires. It took me a long time to fall asleep but then I finally fell asleep. They woke me up in the morning and unplugged me and I was off on my way. I went to a follow-up appointment with a neuologist who went over my results. -Jenn C. in Chandler

M. clarke
on 6/23/07 9:21 am
My sleep study was pretty much a breeze too like Jenn described. A nice suite. Nice comfy bed. They do hook you up to lots of wires. Every where. Even under your nose which kinda tickles. They tell you before you go to sleep that they might wake you half way through. I went in at 11 p.m they woke me at like 2 a.m. Fit me for a breathing mask. Then they did different pressures and calculated which ones I got the best sleep and least amount of sleep apneas with. Once I got a good hours worth of sleep they woke me up and sent me home about 5 a.m. Then my doctor ordered my sleep apnea machine which took about a week. It is really quiet there. The one I went to only had like one other person there I think. I was a little anxious about doing it, but it really wasn't a deal. And I was surprised that I actually fell asleep pretty easily. Only problem I had is that they wanted me to sleep on my back and I'm a side sleeper. They do let you come in on your own schedule. So if you go to bed at midnight, that is when you can go in. And they have a tv and stuff for you to watch if you need to. My brothers sleep apnea was so severe they didn't want him to leave the clinic without a machine . Because they couldn't get one there soon enough he had to sign a waiver form to leave so they wouldn't be held responsible if he died or fell asleep at the wheel. But they had him a machine the next day. But his was an extreme case.       Great luck to you! Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get a clean bill of health!  
Most Active