back to square one

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 8:40 am - AZ
Well I feel like I want to cry a whole week of things going down ok, then Friday all weekend and today, heave ho.....At about bite#5 today at lunch it got stuck there then I couldn't take it anymore and threw it up. Even liquids are not going down as smoothly. It was like it was before................Do you guys think maybe my stoma is swollen from something I ate?? I don't know. Honestly, I cannot face another hospital visit. So I guess I'll live with this, it does discourage me from eating. There is a little good news, I am dumping a little less then before. Anyways thanks for letting me vent, having a terrible day, and lunch did not help.....Normally I am a positive person but I really have had enough. Erin
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 8:49 am - avondale, AZ
Hey Erin, Did you end up having a stricture? They fixed it and still your sick? That's horrible. Call the office and see what they reccomend. Maybe just some hot tea and until your "little tummy" is feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers, I remember how horrible it was. Keep your chin up!! Danielle
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 11:41 am - AZ
Hey Dannielle thanks for your support. You are missing our little heat wave being in Colorado....It's been nice, I am cold all the time.
Nicole W.
on 3/19/07 11:36 am - Cave Creek, AZ
10 days after having my first stricture fixed I started having the same signs again... I called the office they told me to do 24hrs of protein drinks, yogurt, liquids to give the stoma a resting time and let the swelling to go down a bit. After another week I had the same problems again and told them I wanted another endoscope... I was down to 3mm!!! So do not rule out that it is another stricture. It probably is and as you know a easy fix. If you don't feel like driving to Scottsdale, see if it can be fixed at a hospital near you. But I would feel more comfortable getting it fixed at Scottsdale since Dr. Rigberg and Dr. Mellon work hand in hand with SBC. You dont want your stoma stretched. Don't live with it... you will be miserable. You will be 2nd guessing yourself on everything you eat. When you get the pressure behind your sternum, get up and go walk around. When I am at resturants or at work and it happens, I just go to the restroom and stand until it passes and I get the hiccups and the feeling is gone. That feeling should start to go away around 11-13 weeks, unless you take too big of a bite or eat too fast. Hope you feel better! Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 11:40 am - AZ
Thanks Nicole you are always such a big help. It's just frustrating thats all. Plus last week my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, just going through alot right now. Can a stricture really come back that quickly??? It hasn't been 2 weeks. Anyways thanks again for the advice.... Hugs, Erin
Nicole W.
on 3/19/07 11:45 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I am so sorry about your mom... how horrible! both of you will be in my prayers. Stricture #1 fixed (finally, after 2 weeks of waiting) 12/1/06... started having problems again on 12/10/06, dealt with it and then got sick of it again on 12/19/06 Strictures #2 fixed on 12/20/06 So, yup they can reoccur that fast... especially with vomitting, the stoma gets swollen and closes. Also we are both fairskinned and have light hair, we are predisposed to them.
M. clarke
on 3/19/07 2:35 pm
Erin, I was worried my sticture might have come back too. But I don't think it did. For me I had never learned to eat after having a stricture for 3 months, so I just had to learn to eat right. I'm sorry about your mom I lost my step dad to lung cancer 4 years ago, my boyfriends father is in end stages of lung cancer right now, my cousin died 2 years ago of cancer, and my mother had part of her lung removed last June due to lung cancer. So I understand what you are going through. If you need someone to talk to. I am here.
JRinAZ
on 3/19/07 12:58 pm - Layton, UT
Back to liquids for at least 24 hours? Call your doc for another peek? Try warm broth or tea or just plain warm water before eating to relax your stoma? Sooooo sorry you're having so many problems Erin! You deserve a break! Hugggzz your way and wishes for a better tomorrow Joyce
johnb_az
on 3/19/07 11:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your stoma. I had a episode where I irritated my stoma with dry chicken. It got better after 24 hours on liquids. Lets hope thats all it is. Take care, Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
ginaq56
on 3/20/07 5:58 am
Erin, so sad to read what you are going through. You and your mom will be in my prayers. Please don't wait long to contact your doctor. There is no reason for you to be suffering. I understand that your are depressed/anxious/worried/ and on & on but hang in there. I will be sending bright images your way! Hugs, Gina
Most Active