post opt lap bander. i need advise.

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/07 6:24 pm - AZ
I had my surgery Wednesday I haven't been able to keep ANYTHING down water, warm tea, saliva I have lots of slime I called the dr this morning (Thursday) and he had me go in get some meds, a steroid, IV fluids, and nausia (sp wrong) medicine. They have kept the needle in me I have to go back tomorrow for more treatment if I don't continue to hold fluids down. They even took an x-ray with that stuff you have to drink and everything looked good. He said nothing is stuck. Has anybody ever had this. Is there anything I can do to keep clear liquid down. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks, Lorrie
carolem
on 3/9/07 2:18 am - Austin , TX
Wow, I have no idea what could have happened. Sounds like your doing all the right things. I think your just extremely swollen from the surgery and around where the band has been placed. After a few days, like Monday you should be able to hold down some soft protein and for sure liquid. I'm about 6 weeks post-op lap band. You might want to post on the lap-band board and see if anyone there has had your experience. Keep in touch with the doctor's office, I'm sure this will get better.
JEAN-NA
on 3/9/07 5:12 am
Lorrie Have they ruled out the fact you might just have the Flu Bug ?? you know Hospitals and surgie centers are great places to pick up bugs .. Also you might aks about taking a tagament or Pepcid tablet - it may be a stomach acid problem .. Your tummy is maybe just over sensative right now and it's very angry. Give it a little time ...
M. clarke
on 3/9/07 7:39 am
Lorrie. So sorry you are having so much trouble I am an RNY so I don't have advise for you. I know you are feeling miserable I hope it is all resolved quickly for you.
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/07 8:21 am - AZ
Just got back from the hospital again. 3rd day in a row. They said my stomach is just irrated. They are giving me steroids but can take up to 72 hours to take effect. If I still can't hold down liquids by tomorrow I have to go back to the hospital for more fluids and meds. I feel like it is getting better because my spit is staying down longer. I guess the chance of this happening is 1 in 100. But on the bright side I am down 4.5 lbs.. Yippy!
M. clarke
on 3/9/07 8:24 am
Awe. Congrats on the weight loss! I had a stricture for the first 3 months so I know how miserable it is to not be able to keep things down, including your own spit. LOL. I'm glad you can look at the positive side of it. After a while I almost resented the weight loss because it came at the price of throwing up so much. But now that I'm fixed and everything is going down correctly I am able to enjoy the weight loss. Keep up with your positive attitude! And keep us posted as to your progress.
K B (Tucson)
on 3/9/07 8:34 am - Tucson, AZ
I am a bandster and yes, this happened to me within the first week post-op. I needed an ER visit and 2 liters of liquid in IV form to rehydrate me. After the rehydration, I never had problems with liquids. Hang in there, you'll be ok. Feel free to email me privately for more info. Good luck.
Candi Y.
on 3/9/07 1:00 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
Lor - hang in there GIRLFRIEND!! I think I met you staurday?? Were you at the Pre-op class 3/3? I go in 3/14, next wednesday, I'm gonna be prepared in case this happens to me, so gonna let my doctor know here in Cottonwood cause theres no way I'm gonna travel back to Phoenix, IF this happens. I'll say my prayers for you and you say them for me! OK FEEL BETTER and just think your losing weight!! Stay Well!
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/07 2:36 pm - AZ
Hi Candi, Yes that was me in the class. I'm trying to hang in there I just don't know how much longer I can take it. I'm not getting very much sleep and this is getting me very upset. I'm an emotional person anyways. Don't worry I'm the 1 in 100 this happened to. You should be cool. LOL!
Candi Y.
on 3/10/07 1:48 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Lor- sent you an EM, but just wanted to say I AM THINKING OF YOU AGAIN!! BE strong and you can catch up on sleep later!! Though being a mother of 2 boys myself (My boys much older now) I know it's not easy to catch up on anything! HANG IN THERE!! We are here for you!!!
Most Active