Calcium

Arizona_Sun
on 2/28/07 11:48 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Sarah - what is the brand name on it? I wil try to get over there this next week and take a look at the bottle. If it is in elemental calcium amounts, you do not want to take it all at once - divide up the dose. If there is a manufacturer number on the bottle give them a call and ask them how much elemental calcium is in each serving (not calcium citrate, but elemental calcium in the form of calcium citrate). Or check to see if they have a website with the info. I can look for that if I have the product name. I have a dog show that I am preparing for this weekend and don't have time to run to Sprout's today, but I will about mid-week next week. My personal preference is to do more than one brand for my calcium. Try adding a good quality chewable to your daily regimen as well. Hi-Health has some nice citrus tasting chewables that I use as one of my calcium doses. Bariatric Advantage has great cinnamon chewables too. Citracal creamy bites are not bad, but they really constipate me. I recommend doing at least 1800 mg daily of elemental calcium in the form of calcium citrate if you are pre-menopausal. Then, having a Dexa Scan done annually to monitor what your bones are doing. I just think that with our malabsorption issues we will not pick up enough calcium via food and probably not all that we need from our supplements if we are doing too little. I have stayed away from the liquid vites because I think it would be hard to get the same measurement in each dose because of how hard it is to shake up the bottle. It always seems the liquid gets thicker as we get into the bottle and this would be because we are not getting all the good stuff mixed enough when the bottle is first opened. Anyway, that is just my theory. Sandy
Sarah C.
on 3/2/07 3:57 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Sandy, The brand is called LifeTime, and there is a variety of flavors, and they all seem to be very thick in consisteny. That is the only calcium that I have used and to date all my labs have come back normal. I do like the idea of not trusting just one company though. I wil look into buying another type of calcium. I do not see a web-site on the bottle, no phone number either, but they do have an address. Again, thank you so mch for all of the great info you have on such an important subject! Good luck at your dog show!! Sarah
Arizona_Sun
on 3/2/07 8:21 am - Gilbert, AZ
Is this the product? http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=LIF-40002 Here is the company website where you can email to find out if they would describe their product as being 750 mg of elemental calcium in the form of calcium citrate. http://www.lifetimevitamins.com/retail/liquid.htm I find their wording a bit unusual calcium (from citrate elemental), but would interpret this to be elemental calcium in the form of calcium citrate. I just do really recommend doing more than one manufacturer when it comes to calcium. If you take 2 servings of this product it would be 750 mg, but it is quite possible that you will not be absorbing that much. You might try adding in a good chewable during the day. Also, be sure to do annual DexaScans. Sandy
Sarah C.
on 3/5/07 8:01 am - Mesa, AZ
Yes, that first link is the product that I use. I will e-mail them and see ifthey are talking about the citrate, but using the word elemental. Thanks so much for your help, I have really appeciatd it. Sarah P.S. How was the dog show?
Most Active