Trying to decide

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/07 4:30 am - AZ
I'm having such a hard time trying to decided what to do. Do I want to have the Lap Band or the RNY? Did anybody else have a hard time deciding. If so I would like your opinion on what made you pick the type of procedure you had done.
carolem
on 2/12/07 4:57 am - Austin , TX
I think it depends on a lot of things. How much you have to loose, is there a medical necessity to drop a lot of weight fast? There are many more. I think the main reason my husband and myself choose lap-band was because it was so much less invasive than RNY with fewer complications. The long term results are about the same with either, you'll just get to your goal faster with RNY. We liked the idea of the band being permanent but adjustable as you need it. I guess just read all you can about both and then talk to whoever you want for your surgeon to make a final decision. Some surgeon's are now only doing Lap-Band. Just make sure your surgeon has a lot of experience with either and that the long term care is there for you. That's really as important. Good Luck with your decision.....
M. clarke
on 2/12/07 5:00 am
Lorrie you should try to attend some seminars. They will give you the statistics on both the lap band and RNY as far as sucess rates, dangers, and tell you what to expect of the surgery. Also your doctor should guide you and help you to make a decisoin on which surgery based on how much you need to lose, you health, eating habits, and how much control you need. Dr. Blackstone's seminar goes over both the lap band and the RNY and her seminar is very informative. I would recommend going to a few different seminars of the different doctors around the valley or your area that offer both lapband and RNY. The seminars are free and its a good way to get a feel for that doctor, and the facility. I personally chose the RNY because it showed the best results for someone in my situation. Statistically it had proven to have larger weight loss. However it also has more side effects, and complications. So you have to risk the bad with the good. On the flip side the lapband is much less envasive, much less complications, but statistically results in less weight loss. In the end it just depends on you no matter what surgery you choose. You can fail with either surgery, or succeed with either surgery. You have to be mentally ready for the commitment as the surgery (i'm sure you've heard) is just a tool to help you. Great luck in your decision And congrats on taking a step toward a new future.
vquigley
on 2/12/07 8:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Lorrie, For me, it was a decision about whether or not my insurance company would pay for the procedure because I did not have the funds to self-pay. I did have the RNY because that is the only procedure that was covered under my insurance. I don't know if that policy has changed or not. Like others have said, do your research, attend some seminars and see what will work for you. I felt that the RNY was the best option for me because I did not want to have to go in and get fills every few months. Good luck Virginia
K B (Tucson)
on 2/12/07 10:19 am - Tucson, AZ
I chose the lapband for many of the same reasons as the first poster. The adjustability factor at first scared me off of the band, but it really is also the beauty of tis wls. It is not a "one size fits all" wls. It works JUST AS WELL as all other wls's. Don't let others tell you that you will not be able to lose all your excess wirht with it. The stats do suggest that you may need 2 years as opposed to 1 year to lose all the weight, but this is not eveyone's expereince, certainly not mine. In 13-14 months, I have lost more than 120 lb and am at goal weight. I love my choice of wls. Find the one that is right for you. Good luck.
Nicole W.
on 2/12/07 10:29 am - Cave Creek, AZ
K B, what was your average weight loss a week or month. Just curious. My friend is looking into it and was asking me and I do not remember. Thanks!
jenniebr
on 2/12/07 11:10 am - queen creek, AZ
Lorrie, I have a few thoughts for you... All WLS is only as effective as YOU make it. Statisics are about the same 3 years out for either procedure. You can expect to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I was told by a doc that I would be lucky to be down 50 lbs in 1 year with the band.... I lost over 90 lbs in 6 months. I never let anyone tell me I can't do it!!! i averaged 3.5 during my losing phase. I am down 117 total 13 months post-op. 10 lbs below my goal and very happy in my choice. I noticed the you will be self pay. Lapband is less cost. But ultimately you will need to figure out what will work for you. Do NOT make your choice solely on cost. This is your life and it doesnt pay to be cheap now. My insurance paid for everything. Some docs include fills in the cash price. I had 3 fills and an slight unfill. My hubby has had 4 fills and lost over 100 lbs since April. Support is key in all WLS. Make sure you are comfy with your program and Doctor. I would do what the other post suggested... attend a few seminars. It may take a few to see what you are looking for. Each Doc has their own method and it may make a difference in your choice. Its kinda like buying a car, you want a good deal but you want to know that you can live with your choice. I decided on the band for many reasons, the main one being it is reversible should I encounter any problems. (being diabetic left me with many infections and hospitalizations). I also enjoy food, the band works with solid food so yucky protein shakes aren't on my menus! Good luck and if you have any questions please fell free to ask, thats what we are all here for. Keep us posted
Sandi F
on 2/13/07 11:43 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi Lorrie, I have not had my wls yet but selected RNY because I have a lot of weight to lose. If I had less to lose (ie. 100-150 lbs.) I may have considered the band but I have more than that to lose. I also know myself and I know that I need the greater restriction of the RNY. One thing that concerned me about the band was having a foreign object in my body. I know that sounds strange and if I needed an artificial heart or disc replacement in my back I would be all for it but the idea of having a port that had to be accessed for fills didn't sound appealing. I know the RNY drastically changes my inner anatomy and is a more invasive procedure but it is a change I am willing to go through. Additionally, I read the forum where some people have had to have more than one WLS (e.g. band removal and RNY or band over previous RNY). One of the girls shared her story of how she had the band and found a way to get around the control it provided for her. She would go to get a fill, decide that it was too restrictive, and found a way to access the port and drain it. Once she found out she could do that, she fell back into unhealthy eating habits and self-destructive behavior (ie. feeling guilty about it and eating more as a result). I know that you can eventually stretch out your pouch with the RNY but it seemed like it would be a problem further out. I hope by the time I reach that point I will have dealt with the food addiction, the head hunger, and will have developed healthy eating and exercising habits. I certainly don't want to be naive about it but I am also planning to and already doing some of the emotional work needed to be able to use my "tool" in the most effective way possible. I wish you the best in selecting the surgery that will work for you. Take care, Sandi
Most Active