Really need help to decide!

Mikkilynn
on 2/2/07 3:03 am - Mesa, AZ
Hello All - I can't decide what to do about staying with Dr Blackstone or switching to Dr Fang. My surgery has been rescheduled for May 30th with SBC. However, I have an appt next Thursday with Dr Fang which I made last month due to the UHC deal. It's been weighing on my mind so much that I haven't really slept the last 3 nights. My husband is no help, and I could really use someone else's insight or opinion. Here's the issue, I really like everyone at Dr Blackstone's office. They have been very helpful and pleasant from the beginning. I guess I feel kind of guilty for wanting to switch to a doctor that can get me into surgery sooner. I know that I shouldn't feel guilty, because it's not my fault (or hers) that she's so backed up on surgeries. But can you blame me for not wanting to wait 4 more months! I've tried writing down all the pros & cons for each doctor/hospital. I guess it comes down to a few issues either way I go. Dr Blackstone's cons - waiting so long for surgery and no guarantee that my surgery will not be postponed again! Dr Fang's - Office is known for having a problem keeping track of patients paperwork/clearances, doctor's office/hospital is not as convenient as SBC and poor reviews of hospital/nurses. If I go with Dr Fang, then there is a good chance that I can get surgery 6 to 8 weeks sooner. If I go with Dr Blackstone, all pre-op and post-op appointments, classes and support groups are already scheduled. Plus SBC is just down the road from my work. I know that the decision is ultimately mine but I would really, really appreciate any feedback, opinions, commments. I'm also very interesting in hearing from Dr Fang's patients on their surgery/hospital experience. Do they have the recliners in the rooms, or the special beds that make it easier to get out of, etc... Thanks, Michelle
JRinAZ
on 2/2/07 3:31 am - Layton, UT
Michelle, Maybe prioritize your choices a little differently. Obviously the timeframe and the sureon's skill is important to you. "If" all things are farely equal with sureon's skill then consider~~. 1. time frame? 2. follow-up care? things I wouldn't worry about that much: "office staff"....having been part of an office staff with 2 different programs....I know that though we like to think we are important *winks*...it is really the suregon that is the main deal. Office staff comes and goes...paperwork is just paperwork....hospital stays are for 1 to 3 nights in the big scheme of thing and become very insignificant after you are home! ...maybe worry less about "loyaltY' and warm fuzzies and go for the total package that will help YOU achieve your best long range results; when YOU want to achieve them! Good luck! Joyce
Darlene X
on 2/2/07 3:37 am - Maricopa, AZ
Im a Dr Fang patient (1 hospital stay for me, 2 for EJ) St Lukes is an older hospital (So not as fancy and new as the Scottsdale one), but very clean. There are recliners, but not in every room-- you have to ask for one. We had one when EJ was back in hospital for his stricture/gall bladder issue. The day staff were awesome, never had any complaints on our 3 stays there! The night staff was so-so... depends on who you got. We really had no complaints. Dr Fang is a sweetheart, love him to death. He is an excellent surgeon, and I feel 100% safe with him. Also to note--- Myself, EJ and his sister Donna had no issues at all with the Bridges center staff and paperwork. Everything was quick and very smooth..... but of course every journey is not the same. Ummm... it's hard, because SBC is much closer to you-- that is a plus... Im just around the corner from St Lukes for work, so it was very handy for us. Really it's like chosing apples from apples LOL. Either way you'll have an awesome surgeon.... doesn't matter what you chose, your in good hands.
Mikkilynn
on 2/2/07 4:26 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Darlene - I'm so glad to hear that you adore Dr Fang. I have read wonderful reviews on both him and Dr Juarez and feel that either doctor would be a great if I decide to switch. Do you have any info on the ABC classes? I know that I would have to complete them before surgery. But I believe that everything else has been taken care of. I forgot to mention in my first post, that I need to get the bariatric surgery done asap. As I am also needing a hysterectomy and won't be able to get the second surgery until I have healed from the gastric bypass. Thanks so much!
M. clarke
on 2/2/07 4:57 am
Michelle. I am sorry about your situation. I can imagine that is very frustrating. As a Dr. Blackstone patient myself I would always recommend her and say that she is absolutely worth the wait, and I would have waited for her myself. Her aftercare classes and support groups are wonderful. That said... May 30th is a really long time to wait! Especially if you have another surgery pending. I would do what your doing and make appointments with other doctors and go with your gut feeling on it. We have instincts for a reason and we never listen to them anymore. I would be hesitant to go to any hospital that had bad reviews. Even if it is for a few days those are the days you feel the worst and will want the best care. However every hospital is going to have their bad nurses. For the most part all of the nurses were wonderful at Shea and it is an exceptional facility when it comes to dealing with heavy people; however there was one nurse that my mom had to ask to step outside the room. The nurse was really nice after that and even apologized to me later on. I made sure I had someone with me 24/7 just in case I had problems because I knew I wouldn't be in the state to deal with mean people. Great luck with your decision. I'm sorry I know it is a difficult one. Try to talk to your primary physician also. They may have some recommendations for you as far as another doctor.
Nicole W.
on 2/2/07 5:05 am - Cave Creek, AZ
One of the decision that also helped me stick with Dr. Blackstone is the closeness of the center and the hospital. I knew how good the hospital was because I was a patient there years ago. But, since your insurance is one major concern, I would go to a different surgeon. I would hate for you to wait months and then god forbid something happen and then you are postponed and you are out of luck. I personally, being scheduled 6-9 months out, I would go to another surgeon too. Good Luck with your decision!
vquigley
on 2/3/07 1:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Michelle, I can't really address the doctor issues you are having because I didn't go to either of the doctors you are considering. However, I did have an issue with the hospital that I was referred to, Phoenix Memorial Hospital. If you are uncomfortable with the hospital, think about taking a tour of the facility. I did and after taking the tour it eased my mind about having surgery at PMH. And, I also decided that I could stand anything for 3 days. It ended up that my stay at PMH was a good experience, I had good care and the nurses were great. Good luck to you, Virginia
Most Active