Really ticked off with Dr. B

carolem
on 2/2/07 1:34 am - Austin , TX
That's too bad Marcia, I can totally understand. A week before my surgery and the afternoon of my pre-op appt. they cancelled that appt. and couldn't reschedule me at that time. I and some other people were left hanging about a week. I thought for sure my surgery date would be changed. It all worked out and she came back in time to see me a couple of days before surgery and they kept my actual date of the 26th. I had checked out some other doctor's The people at Bridges were the most responsive. I don't think anyone should have to wait months once they have gone through all their tests. The uncertainty of the date being moved would drive me crazy over that much time. It's a very emotional time anyway and the closer you get to your date the more certainty you want that everything will happen as it was scheduled. Don't jump too quic****il you know for sure what's happening. I assume you still have some medical tests to go through, I would get all that done and get copies of everything for your own file. Once you have all your clearances to change surgeon's is pretty easy as I found out. One surgeon himself from Bridges called me in the evening to assure me if things didn't work out with Dr. B. they could get me to surgery within 2 weeks. When there's more than one surgeon things run a little smoother with back up doctors on staff. I'm glad I didn't jump too quickly from Dr. Blackstone, she is a wonderful person as well as surgeon and she's got a very comprehensive program as you know. Post-op I'm even more amazed at what's available for us to ensure our sucess. It seems like they are more together now than ever, so I'm surprised you've been scheduled out that far. At the hospital some of the nurses were excited that she was having more surgeons coming on so the entire ward would be filled with her patients. They like how she does things. In pre-op they told me she required them to do everything at a certain time to pre-pare us for surgery, they said not all surgeons that carefully prepare their patients so they really liked her. When it came to discharge, she's not that anxious to release people if she doesn't think it's safe, I liked that, I didn't feel like I was on an assembly line or some pre-determined schedule that was not specific to me. Good luck with whatever you decide, it's always good to have options and then make your decision when the emotion is in perspective, and that can be a challenge!
gawump
on 2/2/07 6:09 am - Farmington, NM
Marcia, I totally agree with you, and I think it is unfair. We both got bumped. I was in total shock when they told me I had to wait 5 months to have my surgery and now they want me to wait almost 10... I have had family issues arise in my life and you know what, I had to work through them. Then again I am not a Doctor, and couldn't afford to say "to hell with work"... As for looking at another surgeon do so if your insurance will allow it. Mine is telling me I may not have a choice but to stay with her... Good Luck. Richard I
Wendella
on 2/4/07 6:53 am - Mesa, AZ
Just a thought... I never even met w/ Dr. Blackstone, but had her partner Dr. Kieran. I was really impressed with her. She was excellent. Best of Luck.
auntnanan04
on 2/5/07 12:36 am - Tucson, AZ
Although you cannot do anything about Dr. Blackstone and her family emergencies that delay your surgery. You can do something about her office staff not responding properly to you in a professional way. You can contact her office manager Diane either by phone or email. Her email is [email protected] . She may not know exactly what is being said or how it is being said to you. She has not been there very long but how I understand it she is working very hard to improve the conditions there. Phyllis P.
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 3:27 am - AZ
Hi Marcia, I am so sorry for the major delay in your sugery. I think the world of Dr. B and SBC, but waiting until July 16th, that is rediculous. I would contact their office manager and demand an explination, and if they can't give you one. Then you should consider finding another surgeon. Best of luck to you... Erin
Most Active