I'm close to setting up Lapband surgery - Please help???

M. clarke
on 1/29/07 10:33 am
Judy, Congratulations on taking steps to resolve your weight problems. We have been there done that with the dieting also. I think the success rate of dieting is something like 1% or there abouts? Dieting doesn't work. And if you are a binge eater dieting will most likely eventually cause you to binge more. I was an RNY; however when it comes to either surgery you need to keep in mind that they are only tools. All of the emotions or triggers that cause you to binge eat will still be there. It is very important that you seek some type of emotional counseling before you go into the surgery. Most doctors probably require this, at least mine did. It was part of the psychological testing they did. I drank caffeine and smoked so I had to do 6 sessions with a behavioral physiologist prior to having the surgery. I still continue to see her even after my surgery by my own choice. She is wonderful and works a lot with gastric bypass patients and gives me invaluable information and mental tools to dealing with the dreaded food cravings and need to eat emotionally. I don't like to think that we are on a "diet" any of us. As we all know diets just don't work. We are simple improving our lives and taking better care of our bodies. And really caring for ourselves. You have to make those changes in your mind that cause you to binge. It isn't easy. I will be 13 weeks out tomorrow and I can already feel the "newness" of it wearing off and part of me desperately wants sugar! I want a coke like crazy! But I get through each day, and I do a lot of self talk. And I spend a lot of time on here with people who are going through the same thing. That all helps. I guess what I am saying is go for it (the surgery), but make sure you have a good support group, and are really ready and committed to make the changes.
JRinAZ
on 1/30/07 12:20 am - Layton, UT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20070128/bs_prweb/prweb500094_1 Studies indicating that WLS can save lives.... Check out that link Judy. None of us who have struggled with obesity are copping out by trying to save our lives! Good luck with your decision, Joyce
Most Active