Things not going down smoothly

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/07 3:55 am - AZ
Ok I have heard of the dreaded stricture, and I hope I am not going down that road.. For about 6 days now it has gotten increasing harder to eat. Things are getting stuck, I guess, right above my pouch. Yes I am chewing and trying my best to relax when I eat(no kids, no stress) I have thrown up 4 times, and 3 of those times have been in the last 6 days, and the other times I eat is not as comfortable as it was in the begining. I pretty much eat stuff with liquid in it. I am waiting on a call back from SBC and my one month class is tommorrow. I am discouraged because I want to eat protien, so I don't lose muscle mass, plus when I can start working out you really need to eat. If anyone has had similar experiences or any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you so much!!...On the flip side I am down 28 lbs. Thanks guys, Erin
Darlene X
on 1/16/07 3:58 am - Maricopa, AZ
It does sound like the symptoms of a stricture... but don't stress, it's a quick easy fix. let us know.
carolem
on 1/16/07 4:25 am - Austin , TX
I hope they get back to you today, they are up to their ears in "what to do" because the Dr. won't be in all week. I would think Randy can advise you. That must be terrible, hope it get' s resolved right away for you.
M. clarke
on 1/16/07 4:44 am
Erin, I never had a stricture so I can't tell you on that. Nicole is the expert on those! I started throwing up about week three and didn't stop. So it all sounds normal to me. I throw up 3-5 times a week. I am able to eat 1 time a day since the surgery on an average. I have actually had a very good week this week I have only thrown up twice and that was taking to much water with medication. Then again I have cheated and eaten chicken nooodle soup all week and not much protein. I also only lost 2 pounds. Not sure if that was because I was eating noodles, or not throwing up. LOL. But it was my lowest weight loss so far. I also didn't walk because it is soooo flipping cold outside. What is with this weather? I feel like I'm in Michigan! Try pusing your chin to your chest when you swallow. You could be swallowing to much air. That helps me some. I swallow air and that causes pain and makes me throw up sometimes. If you throw up wait a day to eat again so that your pouch isn't irritated. Make sure you are drinking your protein and water and you should be fine. I was worried about it also as I sometimes would go days without eating because of the throwing up, but I always drank my protein and I was fine at my checkup.
M. clarke
on 1/16/07 4:50 am
p.s. Again. .i meant drink your protein and your muscle mass should be fine at your check up. As long as your getting your protein in. It dosen't have to be in the form of solid food.
M. clarke
on 1/16/07 4:48 am
P.S. Erin they always get back to me the same day when I called in so if you don't get a call back before five I would call back.
Nicole W.
on 1/16/07 7:04 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Yep... sounds like a stricture. Randy will probably call you back. He will tell you to reset your system for 24 hours and do fluids and protein shakes only for all day tomorrow... to decrease the swelling of the stoma. They will work with the gastro doc to have your procedure done. Dr. Blackstone does not fix the stricture! Dr. Rigberg or Dr. Mellon (not related with SBC) will do the dilation of the stricture procedure. It is pretty simple procedure, the worst part is the IV! It takes a total of 1.5 hours, with the IV and then recovery. It is done at the hospital in the outpatient and it is not painful. You will feel so much better after its fixed.
Nicole W.
on 1/16/07 7:35 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Oh... another thing. You are right at the timeframe of a stricture also. Dr. Blackstone they usually appear around 3-6 weeks. I got mine fixed the day or two before my 1 month class. I was reading some studies... strictures are more common in fair skinned people also. Interesting huh? Feel better soon!
M. clarke
on 1/16/07 8:26 am
I had heard that also Nicole, about the strictures on fair haired persons.
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/07 9:49 am - AZ
Hey guys thanks so much for the great support, Randy did call me and said to stick to liquids and soft foods. He said I may be headed in that direction but not yet. I hope not but we'll see. Tonight a little bit of broth and jello. I hope to see you both at Support soon. Nicole I think you are going, so see you tommorrow, and once again you guys are the best!!! Erin
Most Active