Meeting w/Dr Blackstone and Possible Surgery Postponed

Amburmist
on 1/15/07 12:34 pm - Phoenix, AZ
While I am hoping that Dr Blackstone's family is ok and worried for her that something tragic has happened, I cannot help but feeling a bit discouraged by the cancelation of my meeting (pre-op) with her and the possible postponement of my surgery (1/31) . I'm nervous that I wont be able to keep up my diet to lose 10% of my excess or that the surgery will be cancelled for some reason. I guess that's been what I've been feeling all along since getting my surgery date, that something is going to happen for me not to be able to get the surgery. Probably goes along with my feeling of "I'll be the only one this will not work for". Has anyone else had their appt's/surgery postponed due to the recent emergency events in Dr B's life? Does anyone even know what happened? I sincerely do hope that her and her family are ok. Just wanted to post this and open up a dialogue with some folks to see if they're having some of the same feelings, questions, and thoughts
Amburmist
on 1/15/07 12:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
of course after posting this, I read some of the other posts and saw others posted who had the same thing happen. Thank you for posting, as I'm glad I'm not alone - as crappy as that sounds. I don't know what I would have done if my actual surgery scheduled for the next day was canceled. I'm upset that my preop appt was canceled, let alone my actual surgery; though, who knows at this point, right?
alligatorpgr
on 1/15/07 2:41 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Tiffany, don't feel bad about being discouraged. You have every right to feel disappointed. I can only hope for your sake that you will still have your surgery as scheduled. As for losing 10% of your excess weight, there have been several other people who have had surgery with her, who didn't lose any weight at all, and it wasn't a problem. My surgery is much farther out than yours, but I have the same fears of cancellations and re-scheduling. Dr Blackstone won't be taking UHC after June of this year, and my surgery is scheduled for March, so if something goes wrong, and it gets re-scheduled I will be out of luck and out of time. I wish you the best of luck, hopefully you will still have your surgery as scheduled, and you will have a quick and speedy recovery. Best Wishes Alli
Kathy S.
on 1/15/07 3:51 pm - PHX, AZ
Tiffany, I am sorry your surgery got rescheduled ......she cancelled me at my preop appointment and I was SO discouraged. She wanted an extra test(colonoscopy) first. I have to tell you though that I was rescheduled on a Friday and I was the only surgery she did 5/05/06. She will make sure your surgery happens...... Would you want her operating if she had the strain of a family emergency/problems? I don't know what happened ...I hope she is well and her family is OK too. Keep us posted. Kathy 315/199/160
carolem
on 1/16/07 1:46 am - Austin , TX
I know how you feel. My pre-op apapt. was cancelled and not even re-scheduled last Thursday. I understand emergencies also and hope that all is well, but not knowing if our surgery is going to be as scheduled is another story. I don't like to be left hanging. If I do not hear by this afternoon that my date is good (the 26th) then I have to make a call to another surgeon's office. I just won't be left hung out for who knows how long. Too many people have been affected by all this and no one seems to know what's going on. That's the sad part. I'd say her office isn't doing a very good job....
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/07 3:45 am - AZ
I am so sorry for all of you that are having issues with surgery being postponed, I didn't have any issues with SBC and I'm sure as soon as everything is sorted out you will be back on her schedule.....Best of luck Erin
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/07 6:12 am - avondale, AZ
Tiffany, I fully understand how you feel. I got the call Thursday at 2pm that my surgery was being cancelled which was the next day at noon. It is so frustrating, and has turned my entire world upside down. I too am worried about the weight lost requrired before sugery. When i went to my pre-op I lost 8 lbs, not quite the 10% but she was very happy with it. Since the cancellation of my surgery, I am sure that i have put the 8 back on and then some. Nothing makes me feel better than a BIG bowl of ice cream!! I am feeling so sad and depressed over this whole thing. I wish someone could tell us what is going on and how they intend to deal with it. Thanks for listenin, Danielle
Amburmist
on 1/16/07 12:07 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks everyone for replying. I called Stella today to see if they'd heard anything and she said no, nothing yet. I'm going to call her back tomorrow, then the next day, etc. Of course, I'm out of pocket and have already paid due to the 20 days in advance rule, so I'm a bit concerned about that too - if they decide to cancel or postpone for a long time. I, too, have lost about 8lbs and I'm with you, I just feel like eating eating eating. It's torture! I can't believe no one knows anything. She just left and didn't say a word? Must've been tragic and I do agree, I wouldn't want her operating with a family emergency taking her thoughts away. That wouldn't be good either. I do understand, though, that this has turned a lot of people's world upside down - especially you Danielle, with your surgery scheduled for the NEXT DAY!!! HO---LY! I think I would have barfed first , then eaten everything under the sun! So what are you guys doing now? What can we do really, right? That's all Im thinking about though. I feel a bit obsessive about it, but how can we not be? This is a major decision in our lives and it's been changed w/o further word - as quick as a phone call.
Most Active