A little bit upset with Dr. Blackstone's office......

carolem
on 1/12/07 2:54 am - Austin , TX
I tried to post this earlier and for some reason, it didn't go through. What's happened is an appt. for my pre-op (my date for surgery is the 26th, 2 weeks away) was cancelled by the doc's office 45 minutes from my appt. Today is Friday, they still can't re-schedule that appt. because they don't know when she'll be back. It's some sort of family emergency. I get the feeling it's taken her out of the area. I understand an emergency, my problem is, they have no idea when she'll be back so I will have some assurance my surgery date will be kept. I'm thinking, this would be the 2nd time if my surgery get's re-scheduled. It's no easy task for her office. Her schedule is packed and I'm worried it may push me way out, it will push someone, there's not much flexibility with her. I want to know there is a plan B out there. I have all my clearances, including my recent labs done, ( a week ago) does anyone have a local surgeon that they love, and tell me why you would recommend him/her? Thanks in advance....
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/07 3:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
You can't really blame the office for not having set plans. Perhaps someone in her family is dying. How would someone schedule around that? With that being said, and this is personal opinion only... I wouldn't go to Blackstone anyway. When I did my research I had it narrowed down to two Phx docs and two Mexico docs. One Phoenix doc is way to busy and it would take months to get into him. But Simpson...not sure how long that takes. I would go to Dr. Simpson. At least check it out. His biggest supporter is a member of the boards and his staff person, Joyce. Call her and ask her if there is someway to get everything switched to him. Are you paying via insurance? Check with your insurance co and see who you *can* go to.
Nicole W.
on 1/12/07 4:17 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Can I ask why you would go to Mexico versus using Dr. Simpson, since you stated Dr. Blackstone is too busy? Not stirring up the pot, but from what I understand Dr. Simpson covers most insurance and my friend had her lap band done within 3 weeks of her intial consult and she paid cash also, which I am assuming you are doing by going to Mexico.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/07 4:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
I didn't say Dr. Blackstone is too busy, that isn't the reason I ruled her out. I preferred the Mexico surgeon because he had at least x3 the number of lap bands peformed vs. the US docs, his track record is fantastic, he teaches the US docs the procedure, he proctors US docs (as a Tijuana doc proctored Dr. Simpson), he had the type of support system in place that I want, he requires two days in the hospital for lap bands vs. outpatient, he requires five days in the hospital for bypass and one more in a hotel, his staff are great and supportive, they actually cared about keeping my medical records confidential unlike US offices, I have his home phone, his Mexico cell phone, his US cell phone, his Asst. Surgeon cell phone, and all the staff's cell phones. I can call 24/7 if I need, and the list goes on. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing. It only cost me about $2K more than had I had it done w/insurance in the states. It was worth every penny.
JRinAZ
on 1/12/07 4:59 am - Layton, UT
Nope! No longer on his staff but definitely a supporter in the way that if you want a great surgeon who provides lifetime supoprt then he's definitely a good option. Juarez also does Lapband as doe Debarro. Joyce
Nicole W.
on 1/12/07 4:14 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Carole, I emailed you about this situation... I would wait until Monday or Tuesday. I just know as a former secretary when something like this happened we were in the dark for a few days. God forbid someone died, who knows when Dr. Blackstone will be back. So give it a few days... I strongly doubt your surgergy date will be cancelled. Hopefully, they can just have see Melissa or Randy for your pre-op and clear you for surgery. I am sure they are developing their back-up plain as we speak. I know Dr. Blackstone is stretched REALLY thing, being the only surgeon on the office and it is to only get better in the spring time but she is the one of the best out there and you have seen the results in many of us and especially your hubby. I understand your fustration. ~Nicole
pwrightt
on 1/12/07 5:50 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Carol: I have been emailing Danielle who was actually canceled the night before surgery with Dr. Blackstone. I can fully understand both of your frustrations and rightly so. OK, here goes. I love Dr. Juarez. MY PERSONAL opinion is that he's the best. I came out of my surgery great and so has everyone at my job who also had there surgery done by him. Now saying that I DON'T think you should change. Reason: You have a great history with Dr.Blackstone. What I understand she did the surgery on your spouse and everything was fine. You are very comfortable with her and I would assume you trust her a lot. That is so important. So I know its easier said then done but give it a few days and see what happens. Stay on top of her staff. Make sure there is a backup plan. Try not to get yourself too stressed. I know that is easier said then done. Please know there are plenty of people out here for rooting for you. Pam
Sandi F
on 1/12/07 6:45 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi Carole, I haven't had surgery yet and I am in the middle of completing the 6-month physician supervised diet that my insurance requires. The surgeon I have selected is Dr. Alexandar Villares. I have met with him and feel extremely confident in his skills as a surgeon. He answered all of my questions, and I had many! From what I understand, he is not that far booked out, at least the last time I checked. I have read many good review about him but would be interested if anyone had a differing opinion. Dr. Villares is associated with the Banner Bariatric Center but does not work in the same office as Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your surgery date does not get moved forward. Take care, Sandi
sassyznaz
on 1/17/07 12:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
try Dr John J. De Barros 1492 S. mill ave suite 201 490-829-6100 he also has a web site www.wliaz.com or dr simmon here in phoenix his is on the oh site good luck Sheri
MichelleInAZ
on 1/26/07 7:40 am - Mesa, AZ
I wouldn't go to anyone else but Dr. Blackstone...I think she has one of the best programs available, and she is awesome! That's why she and her office are so busy...it's because they are well worth the wait. Good luck to you whatever you decide!! Michelle
Most Active