Bowl Prep

ChrisOR520
on 1/11/07 12:29 pm - Tucson, AZ
Does any find it weird that my Dr. doesnt do a bowel prep before surgery??? Only thing is no food or drink after midnight the night before surgery. And a 2 week pre op diet with 2 protein shakes a day and a 500 calorie lunch.
pwrightt
on 1/11/07 12:48 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
WOW: I can see good and bad. The good is that stuff is horrible and you will never forget the taste. So you will bypass that. You know what the bad would be. I've never even heard of that type of diet before surgery. Maybe because you will be on a very restricted diet prio to surgery you may not need it. Every doctor is different so I would follow his orders. Good luck. Pam
RoosMom
on 1/11/07 12:54 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
That does sound a bit different but like Pam said every doc does things differently so follow the orders of yours and it should go alright. I did hear of one other person who said their doctor didnt do a bowel prep and he also let them eat regular foods right after the surgery if they could tollerate them. Sounded different to me but who knows. hehe Good Luck with yours.
M. clarke
on 1/11/07 1:32 pm
Ouch that kinda sucks the two week preop diet. My doctor wanted her patients to lose 10% of their weight before surgery to help shrink the liver so everyone had to do some sort of diet (or was supposed to..my mom got cancer and I ended up gaining 10%...ooops...). Is that why the preop diet? Or is this 2 week preop on top of losing weight? If so that really sucks!
Nicole W.
on 1/11/07 1:36 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I had to drink Magnesium Citrate the day before surgery... it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have heard people being on a 3-4 week liquid diet prior to surgery... that would drive me up a wall. Maybe a few days before your surgery eat light foods for lunch, I would imagine with food in your bowels and then all the medication they give for pain could cause massive constipation. But your surgeon knows what he or she is doing, so I am sure they are doing this for your best interest. Doing a bowel prep the day before yourself wouldn't hurt ya, its up to you!
M. clarke
on 1/11/07 1:51 pm
Nicole you are always so positive about everything It took everything I had to drink that stuff. LOL.
Nicole W.
on 1/11/07 2:14 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I just gulped it in one swallow... I guess my days of drinking and doing shots helped! haha! I even had my mom take a picture of me doing it!
CINABOBINA
on 1/11/07 9:38 pm
your all too funny - I drank that damn stuff mixed with 7-up.
horizontallychallenged
on 1/11/07 11:41 pm
If I was you, I would be calling my surgeon's office to double check that. It would be a real bummer to get into the hospital-all ready to go and find out you should have done a bowel prep. They aren't cutting your bowel but they are cutting the intestine so it is possible your doctor doesn't find it necessary but I would still make sure I didn't get misinformed if it were myself. It's only a phone call to the front desk, maybe they forgot to tell you.
AZdove
on 1/12/07 12:33 am - Tolleson, AZ
I have had to take that "garbage" a number of times and there is no way I can stay positive about it!...Nicole is amazing! I have found little tricks to make it "do-able". Have the mag citrate really cold...really really cold. Put a straw directly in the glass bottle and swig...fast! The bigger the lumen to the straw the better (I have found that McDonalds straws are the fattest!) as it will bypass a number of crucial taste buds. The night before my original surgery date I had already done the bowel prep. I guess that was even worse than doing before a procedure, I did it and then had NOTHING done, the surgery was cancelled! How ironic!
Most Active