Pre WLS Post Christmas Shopping Dilemma!

AZdove
on 12/27/06 8:27 pm - Tolleson, AZ
Okay I admit it. I was born with a Masters Degree in bargain shopping. However yesterday afternoon I believe I failed my first test in 51 years! I am a grandma to a herd of children, natural, foster and acquired of varing sizes. I love the Christmas season but I crave the after Christmas sales. When can you purchase something you have had your eye on for weeks for at least 50% off! And use a gift card you received from St. Nick to boot! One of the little guys will be able to wear or use the item. Anyway, standing in the store going through the mounds of Christmas t-shirts and dazzling sweatshirts already marked down 75% I ran into a personal road block. Even if I had made the trip down the yellow brick road I don't think the man behind the curtain could have helped me. You see, I wanted a very ornate sweatshirt for myself. It was bright red, lots of the glitz like you see on the ladies at Talaquepacque in Sedona or on someone strolling through the malls in Scottsdale. Regal but flashy...just my style. The sweatshirt in question was an XL. I currently wear a 3X-4X! I am scheduled for WLS on 2/7/07. My dilemma was in believing enough in what I was going to be doing on 2/7/07 to buy this wonder of wonders to wear during the next Christmas season. Somehow I could not believe that a 265 pound woman 10 months after WLS would really be able to wear an XL sweatshirt. So my cherished red, sequined and soft sweatshirt was placed back into the pile for someone else to purchase and enjoy! I have been totally bummed since then. I have however made the decision that if by next year I really am able to wear a XL or maybe just a 1XL I will pay FULL price for the darn thing the day AFTER Thanksgiving and wear it till it rots!
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 12/27/06 10:25 pm - Tucson, AZ
You should be happy you didn't purchase it. I had surgery in Sept. At that time I wore a 3X. I can now wear XL and it is only 14 weeks since surgery. Just something for you to think about.
Susanbs4
on 12/27/06 10:49 pm
I agree with Becky...be happy you didn't buy it...I had RNY in Sept...I have gone from a 3x to an 1x already...You may be paying FULL price after Thanksgiving but it is very doubtful it will be for a 1x or XL....
M. clarke
on 12/27/06 11:38 pm
Ellen.... I think you did the right thing.. after all.. it's more likely you'll be buying a wearing a medium sweatshirt next year after thanksgiving!
M. clarke
on 12/27/06 11:45 pm
I take it back.. after reading your profile and seeing your goal weight... you'll probably be in an an extra-small sweatshirt by next thanksgiving!... And there will be lots of great sales and many cute sweatshirts in that size
JRinAZ
on 12/27/06 11:50 pm - Layton, UT
Ellen, Go back and by the LARGE....the XL will be too big on you by then! Big Huggggzzzz! Joyce
AZdove
on 12/28/06 2:26 am - Tolleson, AZ
All of your responses have been fantastic! My mood has lightened! I will pay FULL price and enjoy the wearing of the sweatshirt. I haven't worn anything smaller than a 3X for over 25 years! In college, yes I wore a XS and wore boy jeans (they fit better) but it is hard to imagine that will happen again. The dream is wonderful however! I hope in 365 days I am reading this and laughing my head off! Maybe I will be in Munchkinland again!
paulacohen
on 12/28/06 6:18 am
As someone just beginning the journey, I find it impossible to comprehend that in 14 weeks you can go from 3X to XL - wow!!
vquigley
on 12/28/06 12:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Ellen, Just wanted to give you a little encouragement and am chiming in with everyone else. I started out wearing a 30-32 and am now down several sizes. My daughter bought me sweater for Christmas, size 2X, it fits but it almost too big but it is very pretty. I'm just 5 months out. Next year I bet you won't even recognize yourself! Wishing skinny wishes, Virginia
AZdove
on 12/30/06 3:40 am - Tolleson, AZ
Okay I went back and got the BLUE sweatshirt just like the red. But it was 60% off instead of 50%! I bought a medium. Oh I can't wait until next holiday season to wear it! Now I need to think about accessories...earrings...maybe a cute long stranded necklace...isn't it amazing how saving 60% on something I am not even able to wear until next year makes me want to shop even more. Maybe this shopping addiction will replace my food addiction after surgery?
Most Active