Nausea and vomiting... am i alone?? Seriously HELP!

JRinAZ
on 12/27/06 9:05 am - Layton, UT
Melissa, You need to get to the hospital! You are most likely dehydrated and you may have some type of leak, stricture or such an irritated surgery site (swollen) that you can't heal because of the continued vommitting. I'd put myself on liquids completely for 24 hours or til I could be seen by my surgeon and try sipping warm broth, warm/hot herbal tea, etc. Your journey is not normal and you deserve to lose your weight with healthy eating and healthy days. I'm soooooooo sorry you're miserable! Keep us posted and let us know if we can help! Big Huggggzzzzz, Joyce
M. clarke
on 12/27/06 11:22 am
Thanks everyone. I'm doing better. I've got some medication that is helping now with the naseau and doing the follow up with the doctors. They don't think it is a stricture as i can keep things down some times and not the next. I have been doing the on and off liquids since the surgery. 72 hours on liquids, then back onto our regular diet, and back and forth again. I have some medications that are helping now with the nauseau but I am not sure how long my insurance will pay for them as they are $50.00 a pill. I will keep my fingers crossed. This morning I was able to eat an full ounce of food for breakfast. The most i have eaten in two weeks. Then this afternoon I threw up a pill. So there is no rhyme nor reason to any of it. Of course everyone here can appreciate that. I personally just think it is what it is. Nausea and sickness and it will pass when my tummy is healed. But until then i will let the docs run the tests and see what they see Thanks all. Will keep ya posted if they find anything.
chrisaf
on 12/29/06 1:15 am - Kingman, AZ
Not that I am an expert but I have to disagree that you dont have a stricture. I have had 2 and with both of them I could keep some foods down and not others. It was the change in my N/V status that made me curious as to if I had a stricture or not. I started eating smaller amounts and it would totally not really matter I ate just sometimes I was able to keep things down and sometimes I was not. I think you should push for an endoscopy to make sure you dont have a stricture. Christine
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 3:23 am
Christine, Thank you Christine. I don't mind the disagree. I'm looking for help from everyone. What is an N/V status?? The nurses don't think I have a stricture. I'm not 100% convinced, but there are some other things i am following up on. I am however eating again. Yesterday i actually ate three meals. That is the first time since before thanksgiving i was able to eat more then once, much less three times in a day. So much improvement. Today I threw up pills and water, but managed to get down an half an egg and a green bean. So nothing makes sense. I have an appointment with a food allergist on tuesday. Might be something there. I broke out in hives right out of the hospital and I had dumping on turkey and some types of cheeses so I might also be having some bad reactions to some of the foods. Also might be a urinary tract infection, gull bladder, all sorts of things they are still ruling out. They say lots of things can cause nausea and thowing up. Can you have a stricture that dosen't completely close? That just partially closes? I don't completely understand what happens with those.
Nicole W.
on 12/29/06 3:39 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Christine, I don't think you have a stricture. That would be the first thing they rule out. Katie and I both had strictures... we were both very different. I got to the point where I couldn't keep yogurt down and then it was water on Thanksgiving... I was at 3mm when they did an endoscope the first time. Katie could keep down water and yogurt and other soft foods, but anything thicker she would bring up... and she had a stricture. So, the stricture can possibly close completely and or partially... vomitting increases swelling so I have been "resetting" myself when I have a day of alot of vomitting with just fluids and protein drinks for 24hrs. My second one... I was able to keep down some foods, but not all. Then I was having problems with everything one day and it was back down to a 4mm again. If you were able to eat 3 meals yesterday, I strongly doubt it's a stricture. But you never know... but now that you mention the gall bladder, that could be a possiblity too. Do you have discomfort at all? They say that the pills do take some time to get used to keeping down, maybe cut them in half. I take a Fish Oil pill and its been horrible, lots of sticking! Lately I have been experiementing with foods. I love the Broccoli Cheddar soup from Chili's and the Cream of Broccoli soup from Coco's. Last night I think I had a bit too much of the Broccoli Cheddar soup and dumped a little bit and brought a little bit of it up, but it lasted about 30 minutes. You can have chicken soup, just no noodles. Have the veggies, chicken and the broth. I personally do better with eating at resturants than at home... I think its the way the food is prepared, not sure! As for the support group, it will be on the 8th. Since New Year's is next Monday. I hope to be there, just don't know if I can leave work that early, but we'll see. Hope you start feeling better! ~Nicole
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 3:51 am
so we can eat soup? i wasn't sure about that. How do we know. Just as long as it isn't milk based i guess right?
Nicole W.
on 12/29/06 3:57 am - Cave Creek, AZ
When I asked they said no... but I did anyway! So far no problems!
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 5:21 am
Nicole! LOL LOL. I just went and bought stuff for soup! Oh well. I bought tons of veggies. I'm going to eat some soup. Hey. Eating someting is better then nothing. I don't know that these would be approved off either because they do have some brown sugar in them however I have found that Emerils chicken and apple smoked sausages are staying down. I figured they said the Turkey sausauge was okay so i would give this a try. Of course I couldn't eat the turkey sausuage ended up dumping on that, and thew up the turkey and chicken. But this i boil for a few minutes to get rid of some of the sugar then throw it on the bbq to get rid of some more of the sugar then eat only the inside..because it seems most of the sugar goes to the skin part of it. And it is very sweet and yummy and has stayed down 3 times. The ingredients are: Chicken, water, dehydrated apples, brown sugar, honey. My thinking was the brown sugar was comparable to the bbq sause they let us dip the chicken in and that was my rationalizing in trying it. They are 12g of fat, 7g of Carbohydrates, 14g Protein. They are on sale at Fry's this week also They are also really good cut up in soup. Thats what i'm doing with them now.
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 6:52 am
Nicole! I just had the soup!! It was soooo good! Thanks!!!!!!
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 6:53 am
Now i'm off to the store to go get fruit for the protien shakes!!!
Most Active