Nausea and vomiting... am i alone?? Seriously HELP!

M. clarke
on 12/26/06 7:04 am
Hi everyone. Perhaps we just don't discuss such matters as they are not favorable, but it would be nice to know if anyone else was going through something similar. I am approximatly 8 weeks post op. I have been having nausea and vomiting since about 3 weeks post op almost daily. Every time i throw up i swear it is the last time i will ever eat. However with in a day or two I find myself digging into the refriderator for that yogurt or egg or tuna to give it another try again. Unfortunatly the results are usually the same. Still... i try! Nausea... The Phenergan didn't work so still working on a solution to that. Everyone in the office is being great so far. They have called me in prescriptions and are doing the medical follow up needed. However just looking for someone going through similar situation so we can exchange helpful and posts. Anyone out there???? I've heard word of mouth of a few people who went through similar situations.. but no one i could talk to myself. Emotionally .... the last person to say to me.. "WOW! Your getting skinny and you have a beautiful glow" " NO kidding!!! all you have to do is forget you ever liked food. Turn your tummy inside out every day. Live on your knees in the bathroom (Where by the way i just permantly keep a pillow now) and consumed only water, tums and isopure! So glad you like my glow" ... Okay... That was what i was screaming in side.... my actualy comment was. "Thanks.. must be my new blush" But in truth. I do get weary of the comments. I want to lose weight because i am eating right and getting good habits. Not because i'm not eating at all. And every time i get a shocked look from a friend or relative that hasn't seen me in a week it makes me feel weary and fearful. I don't own a scale. So i have no idea how much i've lost. I lost 40 pounds the first 4 weeks. My next follow up is on the 9th unless it gets moved up. Will know then. Okay.. enough.. if your out there and going through the same please post. Thanks! Great luck to everyone. I will try to make it to the next support group. So see some of you there. And will try to get my profile up and going soon.
K B (Tucson)
on 12/26/06 9:47 am - Tucson, AZ
You need to be talking to your doc asap. Vomiting and nausea is not normal and needs to be investigated. Perhaps you are eating too big of a bite or overeating solids. perhaps it is a medical issue. Whatever, the doc is there to help you and you must talk to him/her about this. I have the band and I too was vomiting a lot for several weeks and found out I had a slip that was easily treated but if I had continued to ignore the problem could have caused me to lose the band and continue to deteriorate my health. Don't delay.
M. clarke
on 12/26/06 11:40 am
Thanks KB. i am RNY. I am talking to my docs. i've tried the smaller bites, bigger bites. Overeating not an issue. Can't get more then a table spoon of food down in a setting. LOL. Thanks for the post! Nice to know people listening.
kelliea
on 12/26/06 11:02 am - LUTZ, FL
If you are eating too soon or to solid foods that is the problem. For the first 3 months I was on semi-solids and soft diet. I could not eat eggs or tuna for at least 4 months. This is how the surgery works.As a behavior modification you are nauseated and do not eat if you eat you vomit. I know it is hard but you have to learn to modify your actual intake and not give into the food cravings it is usually psycological not a physical need. Try going back to a soft diet and bland for the next month. This should eliminate Nausea and Vomiting. I am down 140 lbs. and actually I can say that nothing taste as good as thin feels now. 8 months ago I could not comprehend this at all.I just thought I needed solid food at that time. Now I could care less and eat for nutrition and not cravings. Good luck.
M. clarke
on 12/26/06 11:36 am
Kelly, Thank you for your post. I am not giving into any food craving. I have no food craving. I do get hungery after i have not eaten in a few days. I agree with you that it is completely about nutrition which is a majority of my frustration of not being able to keep myself properly nutritioned. My Doctors list of foods: Eggs, Yogurt, Cheese, Fish, Chicken, Turkey. Of those Yogurt, Egggs, and Tuna seem to stay the best. Meaning 50% of the time. Chicken is 0%, Turkey is 0%. They have also added some fruits and vegetables since then however have to eat three bites of protein to 1 bite of the fruit or vegetable so i havne't had a chance to add them yet. What foods were you able to eat from your doctor after surgery? I know everyones doctor is different.
Nicole W.
on 12/26/06 1:45 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Melissa, I am 8 weeks post-op too and same surgeon So I know exactly what you are eating... I have had problems with strictures more than anything. Having the pressure behind my sternum really makes me want to bring the food up and I usually do because if after 10 minutes it doesn't pass I know its just going to come up anyway. Usually after a throwing up episode I drink some hot tea. I know at the support groups they say peppermint tea is the best for naseua... I never tried it, I just drink what I have in the house... Berry Zinger I think. But I notice the hot tea helps a great deal. I also have been drinking tea when I first wake up... seems to help get things going. Last week when I had another stricture, Randy told me they are considering taking chicken off the menu since so many people seem to be having problems with chicken. It gets way too dry and pretty boring. 2 more months and we can have anything we want!!! Our pouches will be healed. I have been really trying to follow the 3:1 with the protein/veggies, but sometimes the veggies just taste so damn good I eat more than that... If I don't get enough of the protein in, then I drink a protein supplement. I have been really bad with my vitamins... I must admit. Especially my calcium citrate, I just keep forgetting!!! I really do hope things get better for you... hope to see you at support group! ~Nicole
M. clarke
on 12/26/06 2:24 pm
Nicole, You are so upbeat and inspiring! Thank you. That sucks about your strictures. My mom works with a girl who got four of them. I hope this is your last one. I've been drinking the peppermint tea. Also adding some lemon to my water has been helping a bit. I took a bite of green beans a few weeks ago. They tasted really really good. And watermelon on the 9th (Watermelon..my version of birthday cake). I read your reply about toast and popcorn. Brave girl! I wanted bread on Christmas. Only because there were so many kinds being passed in front of me. I went to a movie a few weeks back and after leaving kinda thought.. its not quiet the same without the big popcorn and soda. The movie was wonderful... but the experience just wasn't quiet the same. But it sure was a heck of a lot cheaper! I'm so afraid of throwing up i won't waiver at all from the list. LOL. I realize the irony of this as everything on the list makes me sick, but you know what i mean. Not throwing up, but dumping. I had three of those so far, and don't want anymore. I've been pretty religious about my vitamins down. Dosen't mean they stay down. LOL. But i try very hard to get them down there. I tried to take one of those Citrcal petites they were talking about in one of the support classes and it went down really hard, it got stuck for a while. Are you able to take those? I went back to the chewable lemon ones. I have everything except the liquid vitamin B and Citrcal chews in pill boxes or i could never remember. I bought 4 of those week supply ones and set them up for a month with my pepcid and everything. I'm hoping to make it to the next support group. My understanding is that The 1st Monday has been changed to the 2nd monday for January due to New Years Day? Someone told me that in the office, but she didn't sound sure of herself. Thanks again! Look forward to seeing you again in the support group. And i will work on getting a picture up here so you know who i am there.
kelliea
on 12/26/06 1:52 pm - LUTZ, FL
Soup, without any milk or high fat base it was either chicken noodle or vegetable.I did eat cream of wheat ok without any fat added. Yougurt had to be sugar free and low fat. I did well with small amounts of egg drop soup after about 10-12 weeks. High protein drinks that were sugar free and jello. I also did the high protein sugar free pudding as well got it at GNC. Mashed potatoes without butter, I had this for dinner many a nights.No cheese too high in fat made me dump. I could not eat any real meat until about 4-5 months out and only in small amounts and often 1 bite to big or not pureed by chewing I would vomit. Over all soup was the easiest on my stomach. I have to admit the first 4 months were pure h_ll. I thought I was going to be sick from lack of solid food that I was going to get severly malnourished. Well all labs have been perfect 13 months out now and down 130 lbs. I know how frustrating this can be but hang in there it will pay off. My suggestion for you is to go to the grocery store and look at all of the varieties of soups and try a couple see how you do with them. You should also let your Dr. know. I have a friend that is a Dietitian and she has worked with bypass patients and was shocked at how fast they advance the diets these days. Her thoughts were 2 months liquids and then 1 month soft, 1 month of semi-solid before touching any solid foods. I have to admit when I took this approach I did much better and was able to tolerate food better. Good luck and best wishes.
M. clarke
on 12/26/06 2:50 pm
Kellie. That food sounds lots softer. We don't get carbs or red meat added back into our diet until after four months. So no chicken noodle or mash potatoes for me Wish we could they sound yummy and sound like they would go down much easier! Thanks.. i'm doing the hanging in there part. I guess its all i can do. I know in my head it will pay off in the end, just hard to say its worth it today. It's mostly been good to be able to vent about it. Thanks for listening.
Darlene X
on 12/26/06 10:55 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Have you had an endoscope to see if you have a stricture??? This sounds exactly like Hubby's stricture symptoms... you should NOT be this way.... I'd bet anything you have a stricture that needs to be stretched and corrected.
Most Active