Any Arizona Lapbanders out their!!

soon2bnewme
on 12/13/06 9:34 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Michelle~ WTG on the new band. I thought of going to Mexico but I liked the support close by. I've seen many people who've had great success in Mexico on the main board. Jeanne~ You're also a newbie "WTG" Soon you'll be doing those solids like I said in the post earlier. Eleven pounds is awesome. Hi Carolem~ That's great how much weight your hubby has lost. I hate the fact that men can lose quicker than women. I couldn't imagine wanted to try a Big Mac after a fill. I'm so nervous the first time I eat the next day that I make sure it's not a meat. Plus they could stretch their pouch I would think. I had my third fill and I'm a little frustrated that I don't feel it as much as the second. But I'm watching what I eat and the weight is coming off about 2 pounds a week so I must be doing something right. I would lose quicker but I wasn't doing the treadmill. Hi Todd~Wow I'm going to have to check out your profile of the both of you if you have one. That's amazing. I keep trying to focus on where I'll be in a year from now not just today or tomorrow. I want to be a size 6 again. I even have a box of my wanta be clothes and some of them are a 6. I have read about a couple of people who are not following the rules of the band. I have to admit that I tested it the first month when I started to eat solids. And the nutritionalist told me it's people that fight the band that will be nowhere in a year from now blaming the band and not themselves. I still have to remind myself no nibbling and just three meals. I'm pushing the water better which is weird because before surgery I had no problem downing 2 gallons of water a day and now I forget to drink. I ate popcorn last week thinking it would make me feel very full and was horrified how easy it went down. I need to stay away from that stuff.. I'm learning. We're pretty close because I live near Riggs and Gilbert. It's a busy place out in Queen Creek as far as growth. Terri~ OMG!! 120 pounds that's incredible. Now I know that this is a great solution to my problem. Have you lived in Flagstaff for many years? I do daycare and babysit for a couple of families that grew up there and their parents still live in Flag. Small world isn't it. It's pretty chilly I hear up there this week. Burrrr... I think I covered everyone. Thanks so much and I hope that I continue to learn from all of you. Renee'
jeannearm
on 12/13/06 10:23 pm
Dr. Helio Juarez did my surgery. Has anyone else out there used this doctor? He did the band surgery at Banner Good Sam. I haven't been to any support groups as yet. My post-op is December 19th and I'm so hoping he'll give me the go-ahead to do water exercising again. Haven't done any exercising so far after surgery. I know walking is recommended but I cannot walk because of back problems. Hopefully in due time, my back will permit me to walk. It's great hearing from everyone and if I can be of help to you, please let me know and I will do the same. I'm sure we will all reach a "plateau" at one time or other and we can use each other's support.
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/06 11:15 am - Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? I'm waiting for my doc from Mexico to call back as I type. I'm on day #8 of being banded and I am miserable. Haven't been able to swallow so I can't get liquids down. Went to ER and received 2 liters of IV fluids last night. Today my stomach is hard, it hurts, I have mega heartburn, and now I started vomiting. What do I do?? I've been calling my doc's office for two days but I have a hunch he didn't get any messages until today. I finally called his cell phone and left a message. I am waiting for a call back now. I can swallow thick things so the office told me yogurt is okay. Today I have had yogurt and Gatorade. Doesn't matter, I vomit every hour or so. Please tell me this is not typical for life with a band???
JRinAZ
on 12/13/06 2:15 pm - Layton, UT
That is definitely NOT typical of life with a band! It sounds as if you had a "fill" at the same time that your band was placed (which is not typical either but is often done by the Mexico surgeons). ...... You need to be seen by a doctor/surgeon but finding someone nearby will be difficult since most can't take "out of country" patients. Can someone drive you back to Mexico to be seen? ........ I know that Dr. Simpson tells his patients to go back to full liquids for 24 to 48 hours after vomitting episodes so that the swelling can subside and THEN begin mushies again slowly. ..... Do NOT drin**** cold liquid as that may irritate the area. Drink room temp water and maybe warm/hot herbal teas or broth to sooth the gag reflex and to heal the area. I don't understand how you can get yogurt down if you can't swallow liquids? ..... Maybe you should try some protein drinks for a few days to help with the healing (protein heals) and to give you more nutrition. I'm sooooo sorry you're having such problems and sincerely hope you can find some medical help! Please keep us posted and let us know if we can help. You may want to post on the National Lapband site and see if someone has other suggestions. Take care! Joyce
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/06 5:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce... >>That is definitely NOT typical of life with a band! It sounds as if you had a "fill" at the same time that your band was placed (which is not typical either but is often done by the Mexico surgeons). ...... You need to be seen by a doctor/surgeon but finding someone nearby will be difficult since most can't take "out of country" patients.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/06 10:01 am - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce... Actually, that isn't accurate. There are many docs who do see patients that had surgery out of the country. Yours doesn't, but most do. However, for personal reasons I'm going to Nogales tomorrow to have things taken care of there. Sadly, there just isn't the privacy in Phoenix when it comes to this procedure. I considered the surgery some time ago and before I knew it, the office staff had told everyone and people I didn't want to know, knew what I was considering. Thus, I opted for Mexico. The confidentiality is maintained much better. I didn't have a fill, most Mexican surgeons do not do fills during surgery however, just like the states I am sure there are some that do. My surgeon did not. Thanks for the emails.
JRinAZ
on 12/14/06 1:09 pm - Layton, UT
Jsut my personal experience from having received many calls from out of country patients who have been unable to find follow-up care and are seeking it Also, direction was given via malpractice insurance to surgeon's to "not" take them because of liability. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and hope you get the help yoiu need. Joyce
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/06 12:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce... Actually I just got back from Mexicali a few hours ago. I was going to go to Nogales until I discovered that Mexicali isn't nearly as far as I thought (I flew for the surgery). My "bad" experience isn't with the doc, hospital, or surgery. It turns out it was something different. He gave me some IV Decadron and all is well now. I still adore my surgeon and would suggest Dr. Aceves for anyone wanting the procedure. As I wrote earlier, I did my research before the surgery. I could have had it done in Mexico or the US. I chose Mexico because of Dr. Aceves and my experience this weekend merely reinforces that opinion. When I got to Mexicali I just went to a hotel as it was 8PM on a Friday night. I wasn't going to go to the hospital and bug them after hours. It was quite a surprise when Dr. Campos showed up at my hotel room. He wanted to make sure it was safe for me to wait until the morning to go to the hospital or if I needed to go there that night. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos (asst surgeon) both gave me (again) their cell phones and other phone numbers to reach them in case of an emergency or if I merely have a question. I just can't find that kind of care and consideration from the docs I researched in the US. Dr. Alberto Aceves rocks! I guess the important thing is that we all have positive experiences, we do what is right for each of us, and we lose weight safely.
soon2bnewme
on 12/14/06 4:54 am - Chandler, AZ
I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time since your band has been placed. I know that three days out of surgery I got strep throat and felt miserable for a couple of weeks but nothing compared to what your going through and mine wasn't band related. One thing I didn't know right after surgery was DO NOT drink anything cold because it will hurt like a stinker and it just made me feel sick. Once I realized to make my water almost warm then it started to feel better. I was such a cold water person that I thought it was just the way I had to have it. I agree with Joyce that you should go back on liquids and probably clear for a day or two so that you won't irritate it and see how that goes. But definitely check with your doctors office. The yogurt is probably cold and so is the gatorade so try to have warm stuff. It did help with me. What part of Arizona are you located in? Keep me posted on how your doing and if you have any questions feel free to email me. Renee'
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/06 5:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
Renee... Thanks! You are a sweetheart!
Most Active