Nervous and Emotional

pwrightt
on 12/9/06 9:04 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Is it common to get really nervous before your operation. Even some self doubt? I have myself so worked up over this coming week and I'm never like this. On Wednesday I do my upper GI and whatever else they do before sugery inlcuding the dreaded blood gas. Thank goodness for Under Tall who has calmed me down about that. I know it will hurt but I'm working myself into a panic. Over what? I think its all nerves over the coming operation. I'm also pretty emotional right now. Geez tell me this will pass. I hate myself right now.
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/06 9:27 am - AZ
Pam, take a deep breath and try and relax a little. I know it is hard but if you are stressed, sleep deprived and a nervous reck, you may not recover as quickly. I learned in my pre op that mediation or relaxation techniques are really good for you. pre-op and post op. My surgery is right around the corner, but I am realativly calm. I am excited but not nervous. Try a relaxation cd, and use it you'll be surprised how it will work. Hope this helps!! Erin
Nicole W.
on 12/9/06 10:21 am - Cave Creek, AZ
The arterial blood gas test doesn't hurt that bad... it is different than a regular blood draw.. maybe a little more of a "pinch" But nothing to stress over... It is normal to be nervous... but don't get yourself in a panic. I know... easier said than done. I was pretty calm up until the morning of surgery... because my mom was worried enough for the both of us. I was more nervous about the pain after, but it wasn't that bad. Trust the fact your surgeon has everything under control and will make sure you are fine. Maybe go for a walk and get some fresh air when you feel pretty emotional... I found that it helps! Good Luck to you... your surgery will be here before you know it!
horizontallychallenged
on 12/9/06 10:52 am
Pam, Don't deny yourself fear, YOU GET NERVOUS, that's normal. Just remember - YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER IT. My moto is "THE KEY INGREDIENT TO FEAR IS THE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE", fear makes you learn, try new things and overcome!! I'm here for you. Look up the procedures for the upper GI and the ABG, look them up in multiple sites to make sure you get a rounded view. I've had the upper GI and the blood gas, we can talk about every detail. I don't think that's what you're really nervous about though, it's the whole thing, nothing specific isn't it. St. Lukes does many (every day) RNY surgeries and so does Dr. Juarez, I am so excited for you, this is going to be a GLORIOUS change for you!! Go buy yourself a really nice outfit, a small one, that you can fit into by Spring. You are welcome to phone me anytime you feel like it, I will give you my home and my cell phone numbers. We can talk about everything, nothing, whatever comes to mind. You can't panic, you have to be MY ANGEL!! LOL ((((((((((((((((((((HUGE HUG)))))))))))))))))))))
horizontallychallenged
on 12/9/06 12:13 pm
Here's a thread from the main board that is going, you might like to read the comments from people that would or would not change their type of surgery. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/action,replies/board_id,4856/cat_id,4456/topic_id,31653 84/a,messageboard/ If this doesn't link up, it's under the main board and it's titled something like "IF YOU COULD, WOULD YOU CHANGE THE TYPE OF SURGERY YOU HAD" or something such as that.
pwrightt
on 12/10/06 4:32 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I think you're right. So many emotions start running thur you. Like what if I die? Who will take care of my family and so on. I think just letting it out and telling someone I was geting nervous has made it better. I did look at the post and it seems a lot of people go thur the nervous thing before surgery. Usually I'm a tuff old broad so I think this kinda of surprised me.
Chaplain
on 12/10/06 9:13 am - Panama City, FL
Pam who wouldn't be nervous before any operation? You are not alone feeling this way. However, for me the surgery was not a problem. I came out of it with no ill effects. I can understand your being emotional about it all, but believe me it will be far worth it when it is behind you and you can continue your journey. You have a lot of people praying and there for you. God Bless you. -Bill-
carolem
on 12/11/06 4:55 am - Austin , TX
Hi Pam, I think I would worry if you were not nervous! There isn't any way around it, I wish I knew Yoga, I think serioius relaxation would be great just before surgery. We have so much more to worry about as far as dying by not doing this. So many health issues would be ahead, not to mention mobility issues, and quality of life is a big one. Truthfully, every day I get on the freeways here I fear dying! No kidding, and I'm from California, land of the crazies! But the way people drive here is nuts! I've never seen so many just plain "stupid" things done on the road,so my fear is not without some merit. I'm sure when I get closer to Jan 26th, I'll be right where you are with nerves, we just have to keep a positive attitude and know that we made the right decision. Afterwards your going to say, "that was not bad" I did this. Just keep moving forward girl, we'll make it. CaroleM
Randi D.
on 12/11/06 2:18 pm - Peoria, AZ
Pam, I think everyone experiences this when it comes time for the surgery. By the time I was in the waiting room waiting for the nurses to take me back to prep me, I was like, "Can we get this going already." I am so happy I had this surgery. I now weigh less than what I have lost. It's a great feeling. Randi
Stephanie B.
on 12/14/06 6:44 am - North Port, FL
Oh Pam it is totally normal! You are about to go through a major life changing event! Do yourself a favor, keep educationg yourself, make sure you are prepared with everything you need THEN PAMPER YOURSELF!!! Honey if you see my old profile you will see I FREAKED before hand for a day. Totally normal! Oh and here is something cool your "new" birthday is my 34th birthday! It is a great day to have a birthday and you will do great!
Most Active