Doctor question

quiltz
on 12/6/06 11:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
I just got my date (April 5th!) That seems so far away. Does anyone know of any reason Dr. Blackstone has such a terribly long waiting list? Is there a problem with the practice or is she really that good?
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/06 3:51 pm - Yakima, WA
WOOHOO! Good luck! You should read Dr. Blackstone's member reviews. She IS very popular! http://obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+reviews+Robin+Blackstone+ghg.html HTH, ~Tooter
Darlene X
on 12/6/06 11:08 pm - Maricopa, AZ
She recently had several surgeons leave her... so she got back logged.... I know there are many faithful to her practice, who might jump on me for saying it.... but there are other surgeons in Phoenix who are amazing, just as good or better, that could get you in much sooner than April....
pwrightt
on 12/6/06 11:22 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Marcia: What I understand Dr.Blackstone has had some surgeons leave so she is backlogged. She has great reviews and her patients seem to love her. But I agree with Darlene. There are other surgeons in the Phoenix area that are just as good and not so backed upped. Read the bariatric surgeon post. Check out the reviews. Go to one or two seminars. This is a major decision and one you need to be comfortable with. If you decide on Dr. Blackstone then get all your clearances done and whatever paperwork is necessary and relax. This can be a very stressful time. Whomever you decide on good luck on your journey.
carolem
on 12/7/06 5:55 am - Austin , TX
Marcia, With all the testing you'll be doing and pre op classes for nutritian and educational, the timing will probably be about right. I don't know about other surgeon's leaving her practice, I wouldn't have wanted any of the other's anyway. She did my husband's Nov 6th and she'll do mine in Jan. One of the things that's so good about her process is knowing what to expect all along the way. You even get a binder at the pre op class that you keep and refer to when your home. I read so many posts on here from people that don't even know what to have in their cupboards and refrigerator when they come home from the hospital. Down the way as your menu changes your up to date with that information as well. Your not out there by yourself wondering what's going on. Dr. Blackstone herself get's rave reviews from her patients, she's one of the leading surgeon's in this field and is very committed to helping people overcome obesity. She's done more than a few hundred of them and is very careful to make sure you are healthy enough for this surgery. She doesn't rush you into it. She has a long cancellation list if anyone wants to move out theit date, plenty of people will step in to take your place. It's always your option to change doctor's but this is such an important surgery that will change your entire life, make sure you understand everything and not rushing into any of it. The medical testing is important as well, you will find out more about your health than you thought possible. These tests can take some time to complete. Good Luck CaroleM
Darlene X
on 12/7/06 6:46 am - Maricopa, AZ
From what I interpreted... she already has a surgery date which means she has done all her testing & has insurance approval.... So she has to wait 5 months for surgery.... even though she has all that stuff completed...
carolem
on 12/7/06 6:58 am - Austin , TX
It doesn't work that way with Dr. B. you get your surgery date then they line up all the appointments for medical testing and pre op classes. It could take her that long for ll the tests, the ins. spproval is the first thing they do. CaroleM
alligatorpgr
on 12/7/06 6:48 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Marcia, I'm also a patient of Dr Blackstone and she does have a long wait. My surgery is scheduled for March 21st, and I got approved November 16th so that's almost 4 months from approval to surgery. I originally chose SBC because of their location to me and Dr Blackstone's reputation. The office can be slow to get back to you, and when they do, they tell you a million things at once, so you need to write everything down. And you have to make sure you have everything in place or your surgery will get cancelled and re-scheduled for months later. I've actually thought about going with another surgeon probably Dr Fang or Dr Juarez, but according to their office, they are running 3 to 4 months out also. It's kinda discouraging sometimes because I see so many other people on the Main Forum who get approved, and the have surgery a couple of weeks later. Sorry about being so whiny, I just want to start my new life NOW!!! Best of luck to you, and keeps us up to date..
Nicole W.
on 12/7/06 6:54 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Everyone is loyal to their own surgeon and thinks they are the best... because really, look at it this way.... your surgeon is saving your life! Dr. Kohler left SBC in September to teach medical school (I had her in my initial consult and she informed me that her dream was to go back east and teach). Dr. Kieran left in August supposably for a military commitment. Dr. Blackstone told me that she is interviewing new surgeons, but isn't finding the quality she wants. SBC has very good pre-op educational classes, pysch support, excellent medical team and consistent support groups. But as other members stated that if you want a earilier surgery date, I would suggest going to another surgeon. My advice if you stick with SBC is get copies of all tests, reports, etc... also get them done early to avoid lost paperwork.
carolem
on 12/7/06 7:02 am - Austin , TX
Good advice Nicole! CaroleM
Most Active