Almost There!

Chaplain
on 12/2/06 11:23 pm - Panama City, FL
I had my surgery on February 24, 2006 (360 pounds). As of today I have lost 150 pounds (210 pounds). I am no longer a diabetic and my blood pressure is normal. I went from a size 48 pants to a size 36, heading for a size 34. I went from a 4X shirt to a large (16 - 16 1/2 neck). I am only 15 pounds away from my goal weight of 195 pounds. All this in less than a year. I really appreciate all the support from this website as it is good to know there are others out there going through the same things. -Bill_
pwrightt
on 12/3/06 1:20 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Bill: WOW. Its great to hear stories like this especially before surgery. I am scheduled for the 27th of Dec. and getting very nervous. But after hearing successful stories like yours it makes me realize one day it will all be worth it.
Chaplain
on 12/3/06 5:25 am - Panama City, FL
Hi Pam, I will be praying for your surgery on the 27th of December. You have made the first step on your new journey to a new and improved you. God Bless -Bill-
Sandy in Tucson
on 12/3/06 11:12 am - Tucson, AZ
Once a diabetic...always a diabetic. Now, your diabetes is in control. Diabetes never goes away....it will be waiting till you stop exercisng...or start eating wrong...and it can rear its head again.....Sorry, no cure for diabetes. Sandy
Chaplain
on 12/4/06 4:11 am - Panama City, FL
Wow, Sandy thanks for the encouragement. While I realize once a diabectic always a diabetic and that it never goes away. I will not stop exercising or go back to the way I was. Prior to my surgery my doctor was going to put me on insulin and now I do not need any diabetic medication. I think it would be better served focusing on the positive of someone reaching their goal rather than the negative to which we all are well aware of. -Bill-
JRinAZ
on 12/4/06 5:33 am - Layton, UT
Bill, I've been reading this board for a very long time and I just have to say a little something about our Tucson Sandy. She is AWESOME!!!!!! She speaks truth and doesn't beat around the bush and is always available to help folks out with pieces of information. I doubt if she meant to discourage anyone BUT....it's quite common for all of us to wear rose colored glasses in regard to our honeymoon stretch as wls post-ops. No one wants to hear that diabetes can come out of remission and no one likes to hear that we might have regain and no one likes to hear that Rny may cause anemia, hypo glycemia, osteoperosis, etc. But, sometimes the telling of it can be the reminder that someone needs to be diligent with their program, their exercise, their supplements, etc. Congrats to you on your journey! You've done amazingly well and no one is making you get to the gym to exercise but YOU! So, it's definitely engrained in your mindset to continue on the road to good health! Keep up the great job! Joyce
Chaplain
on 12/5/06 6:59 am - Panama City, FL
Joyce, Thank you for your encouraging words and comments about Sandy. I have no doubt that Sandy wasn't trying to be mean with her comments, but sometimes being so honest can be very discouraging to some. My comments was we need to be careful with what we say as it could discourage some from continuing on with their journey. If Sandy would have taken time to read my profile she would have understood that I have struggled with my weight for a long time and that I researched the gastric bypass completely before going ahead with my procedure. The truth is always a good thing, but sometimes it is in how you approach someone with the truth that will either lead them to the light or push them backwards. I am not on my honeymoon stretch and do not wear rose colored glasses as this journey has been and continues to be a struggle for me, but I have determined in my life that I will not go back to where I was eight months ago. Anyone who has had gastric bypass or the lap band surgery knows that their diabetes can come out of remission and hear that they might have regain some weight or that Rny may cause anemia, hypo glycemia, osteoperosis. I feel this is something that their doctor and in my case the nurse who calls me on a monthly basis checking on my progress is for. The bottom line here Joyce is we need to be more thoughtful of other feelings than to be so brutally honest that it causes hurt and discouragement to the reader. Once again thank you Joyce for your kind words of encouragement. -Bill-
JRinAZ
on 12/5/06 10:01 am - Layton, UT
No problem Bill. We can always find negative if we're looking for it and I guess I was looking for it in your post! Sorry about that. My alarm goes off when I think someone is being picked on. Joyce
Chaplain
on 12/5/06 10:12 am - Panama City, FL
No problem Joyce I too do not like it when people are being picked on. It is just that I have come long way in such a short time. I am always on my guard about my weight and being so careful as to what I eat. I have read a lot post of those who are discouraged and on the verge of giving up. My post wasn't to brag about what I have done, but only to encourage others that it can be done if they stick to their doctors plan. I know it is not easy to do, but with the support and encouragement of this website helps a lot. -Bill-
Sandy in Tucson
on 12/4/06 1:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
Sorry, if you took it wrong. I just state the facts. I just wanted you to realize you are still diabetic even though its under control and your off your meds. To many people who have had WLS believe surgery Cured their diabetes.............ok. I worked 16 hrs straight today. I am tired. I work another 16 hr day tomorrow. Sandy
Most Active