Great example of why we do all the pre-tests

justcuz
on 11/29/06 9:17 am - Maricopa, AZ
As we go through all the testing pre-surgery we are hating it. Making all the appoitments, collecting tests to show we are healthy enough to make it through the surgery. However, sometimes, the test come back and take us down a path we were not expecting. This is what happened to me. I was suppose to have surgery yesterday. However, I got a call the week after my pre-op tests that my Dr needed to speak to me about one of the tests. He asked if I knew what they found during my ultra sound. (I didn't). He had to tell me that I had a large cystic mass growing and it was about 12 inches wide. WOW. I was at a loss for words. All I could think about was... "what now". Obviously the surgery would be put on hold, but I didn't know what to do or where to go. Dr Fang and his nurse got me in for a CAT scan and blood work that day. They got me set up with a OBGYN/Oncologist for the following Monday. I was in shock most of the day. Picturing this thing inside growing. All this time thinking I was just getting fatter. Fast forward to this week. Turns out I have a cystic ovarian mass the size of a basketball. Can you believe that? Amazing. I am so thankful they did do all those tests, without them, it would not have been found since I have not had any of the normal symptoms. So why you are going through all the tests and hating them, just know that they might just help you find other issues you never would have imagined.
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/06 11:33 am - AZ
Tammy I just saw your message. I am so sorry to hear about your cyst. I just sent you a message. I thought your surgery was yesterday. Wow a cyst the size of a basketball. It's not cancerous is it. If you need to talk to anyone, just message me and I will try and check the site every day. Again I am so sorry and I wish you the best in your recovery. Talk to you very soon... Take care..Erin
justcuz
on 11/29/06 11:47 am - Maricopa, AZ
Thank you Erin. The good news is, we are about 99% sure it is not cancerous. Of course they will only be 100% when they take it out, but all the signs are good. I appreciate the kind words and may take you up on it one day. For now, I'm doing good. They are looking at possibly combining the two surgerys since I will be cut open already. Right now I'm just waiting for both Drs to talk to decide if they are both comfortable with that. I should know in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. till then, I just think positively
carolem
on 11/30/06 1:39 am - Austin , TX
I agree Tammy, the tests area a pain, but my husband and I have both found out things about our health that we're better off knowing as a result. I also had a large cyst in my ovary. Mine was pressing against a couple of discs and causing extreme pain. This was 2 years ago before what I'm doing now, my surgery isn't until Jan 26th. My husband had his on Nov. 6th and is doing great. My cyst also had to be removed so I had a complete hysterectomy. I was sent to an Oncologist in Phoenix who told me right away he didn't think it was cancer. The pathology proved him to be right. It's still no easy surgery but not life threatening. You are fortunate it wasn't causing any problems, the wierd thing is, they do not know what causes these cysts. I haven't had any problems since and am looking forward to WLS. Hormones do not work in our favor after a hysterectomy, I gained about 25lbs. So it's good that your headed for WLS after. Take your time to recover, it takes awhile . Good luck Tammy. CaroleM
Most Active