Post Surgery Needs

msnd67
on 11/28/06 5:02 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi Everyone, I was just wonder about my post surgery needs I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec 20th and have to make sure I have everything before I go into the hospital because I don't have anyone to run to the store for me if I forget something. I know about the Centrum Chewable, B-complex and Calcium Citrate but, is there anything else? What will I be drinking/eating right after the surgery? I want to make sure I have everything on hand. Also should I be taking pre-vitamins now before the surgery? I'm worried about my hair falling out.
carolem
on 11/28/06 5:51 am - Austin , TX
You didn't say what surgery your having, lap-band is different than bypass. Your doctor should have given you post op instructions in detail. Your eating is different for each as well. My husband had lap-band and could have soft protein after 4 days. The first 4 is strickly liquid, like chicken broth, I think for both you will need chicken broth and sugar free jello. No red jello! They don't want you having anything red in case there should be a problem. But don't take what I'm saying, call the doctor's office so your prepared. I would be a little concerned having this surgery and not knowing this info, they didn't prepare you very well. We had binder's to take with us after a pre-op classroom session that lasted pretty much all day. My doctor is Blackstone in Scottsdale. CaroleM
MARY OTU
on 11/28/06 6:01 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Sandy, Like Carol, I would need to know what surgery you are having and who your Dr is. Mine is Blackstone and we had a VERY extensive pre-op education program as well as support groups 2 x month to hear all about what we can expect. Good luck and don't hesitate to re-post with your specifics. When in doubt call your Dr's office. I am sure they have a nurse who can answer all of your questions. Mary
msnd67
on 11/28/06 6:39 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanks I'm having a revision RNY, I have Dr. Fang. I will call the office to make sure what I will need.
pwrightt
on 11/28/06 9:52 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Sandy: I believe the Tuesday before surgery you will go to a class that will tell you the do's and don't. I understand you will be given a book (which someone described a bible) with all the information about eating and post op care. I'm scheduled for the 27th and have not received anything yet so I'm also waiting. Good luck on your surgery
AZdove
on 11/28/06 10:11 am - Tolleson, AZ
Dr. Blackstone is my surgeon and I am tentatively being rescheduled for surgery in February 2007 but I have already purchased all the stuff I had been instructed to. The one thing I think is missing from your list so far is Pepcid. That was on the list that Dr. Blackstones office provided me. Also I have liquid Vicodan (2 huge bottles). This was a prescription I had to have filled prior to surgery (originally scheduled 11/22/06 but cancelled at the last minute). Do you think this liquid will still be okay if I have to wait all the way to February?
Nicole W.
on 11/28/06 10:40 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Your vitamins and liquid Vicodin will be fine for at least 6 months.
JRinAZ
on 11/28/06 3:36 pm - Layton, UT
Nope! I'd sell it! LOL! ........and I am just sleep deprived and full of bologna right now too! I'm sure your pharmacist can give you the right answer to that Ellen! Glad you are back to posting and looking forward to your new date! Huggggzzz to you! Joyce
Most Active