Just some advise please.. RNY vs. Lapband

Lisa_Rene
on 11/27/06 11:16 am - El Mirage, AZ
Hi everyone, Well, It's been awhile since i've posted but i've been keeping up on postings. I've just completed my 6 months of diet information and went for a Cardiologist visit today. I'll have my stress test pretty soon and then I guess I just wait and see what happens with the insurance. I've been going back and forth as to whether to have RNY or the lapband surgery. It seems like I change my mind everyday. I guess I just want to hear some one on one stories and see what has worked out best for you. Thanks for the information and help. I'm still worried as to whether or not I'll get approved, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Thanks again... Lisa
K B (Tucson)
on 11/27/06 11:34 am - Tucson, AZ
You should try the OH lapband and bypass forums and view each forums issues and concerns. I have the lapband and am of course very biased in it's favor. Most of the posters on the AZ forum seem to have had RNY and naturally love thier surgical choice. Uninformed people may tell you that you will or can't loose much weight with the band and that the wl is very, very slow with the band, but that is not true. I have lost 117lb in exactly one year (surgery 11/22/05) and am 10-15 lb to goal weight. Not everyone loses as fast as I have with the band, but an avg. of 10lb a month is very possible. People with even higher BMI's than I have lost over 200 lb and tend to lose very quickly. I personally like that the band is reversable (although not ment to be removed), does not require cutting major organs and does not work by malabsorption of food. You are not dependent on nutritional supplements with the band and you can eat most every food. The band works by restricting food intake. Do your homework and you will decide which wls is for you. Good luck.
Nicole W.
on 11/27/06 11:51 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I originally was going to do the Lap Band but after some long thinking and after speaking with the surgeon I decided on RNY. I knew after a while I would find work-arounds to the Lap Band... being able to eat what I wanted and the quantity I wanted over a period of time. Also the idea of the port grossed me out for some reason... and I am afraid of needles and didnt want to get fills monthly or however frequently they occur. So after some more research I decided on the bypass! So far, so good! Being dependent on the vitamins is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I would definately speak with your surgeon and get his/her input on what they would think is best for you. Congrats on your 6 months of medical supervised weight loss... I hope your insurance company approves you! ~Nicole
JRinAZ
on 11/27/06 1:28 pm - Layton, UT
Lisa, I think the real story could be told by folks on the Graduate site. Unfortunately, many Rny patients are lined up for revisions. Sometimes they fail the surgery and sometimes the surgery fails them. The same can happen for the LapBand but the difference is that a fix for a Lap Band involves 10 minutes with an office visit where an Rny fix is a major surgery and usually means having even more of your intestine removed. Very few insurances will cover a revision. .....Those who are delighted with their Rny's are usually under 2 years post-op. The numbers begin to diminish once those honeymoon months are past. There are certainly Rny post-ops who are 5 years from their surgery and are still in their goal range and are happy. They are compliant patients that stay focused and on track and do a lot of gym time. I'm not trying to be a downer for the Rny patients because I am actually one of them....but, I think too often we wear rose colored glasses with great promises from surgeons who prefer the bypass over the lapband because of the fast results and the bigger income for their time spent in the O.R. In fact, many surgeons do a "bait and switch" where they say they'll do all types of surgeries but then "encourage" you to go with Rny vs Lap Band. I am trying to get my insurance straightened out so that I can have a revision to a Lap Band. I was all set in November and got cancelled by UHC! .....I know I can get tweaked (a fill) when my losing plateaus or when I have some (more) regain. It's a lifetime of possibilities. I'll still have to maintain my strict regiment of vitamins, supplements, etc because of my original Rny but the average Lap Bander does not have nutrition issues.; just the multi plus some calcium like any "normie". Doing research is key to making a good decision for you. Many patients go to 3 or more seminars until they click with the right surgeon. ..... Also, if you are leaning towards a Lap Band, make sure your surgeon's program includes pre and post programs/support for just Lap Banders. Mixing it up is often very frustrating and post-op issues are very different. Good luck! It's definitely a lifechanging decision but whatever you choose will make you an amazing LOSER!!!! Huggggzzz, Joyce
Lisa_Rene
on 11/28/06 11:21 am - El Mirage, AZ
Thanks Joyce for your opinion. I was actually going to just email you and get your thoughts but I decided to go this way instead. I admire your honesty with your answers. I had written you quite a few months ago asking for opinion and you always so helpful. I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I listed another post and I think I'm really leaning more towards the lapband if I get approved. I guess I'll just wait to see what happens after my stress test and my request is sent in. Have a wonderful week and thanks for all your help! Lisa
angel4you
on 11/27/06 10:03 pm - tempe, AZ
Hi Lisa, I am going through the same process as you, but after going through the conultation and seminar information I chose lap band. I actually heard the contrary about being able to cheat, I heard that after year 2 and on your way to year 3 after gastric, the stomach stretches and if you are not staying in support groups you can gain back some weight, the doc explained with the lap band, if you start to gain they add more fluid. Its really a personal decision. My reasons for choosing the lap band are: shorter operating time, less likely to open me after 4 c-sections and scar tissue )gastric may require me to have an open procedure because of those other operations, no overnight hospital stay, could be completely reversed if a problem arises, less recovery time, lower complications. I really loved meeting with Dr De Barros in Tempe, he has never had a death and only one complication and the band was removed and the person is fine now. He performs 30 a month. Also, I am not sure about your insurance situation, but I went to my first appointment on Friday and the doctor thinks my surgery date will be in 6 weeks from now. I never expected it to be this fast. Keep in touch and God Bless in your decision. Danielle
carolem
on 11/28/06 6:04 am - Austin , TX
Lisa, since I haven't had lap-band yet, but my husband has as of Nov 6th, I can't really give you a reference from my own experience. My husband is doing great, down 30 lbs, feels wonderful, etc. From all the advice I've seen on this board I would listen to what Joyce had to say. She's not only had personal experience but works in the field. She's involved in support groups and hears things we haven't! The whole idea of the RNY, just kind of bothered me and made me think there were too many things that could go wrong. I wanted to keep it simple and I just felt lap-band was the best choice. Good luck with your choice. CaroleM
pwrightt
on 11/28/06 10:15 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Lisa: I believe everyone goes thru this. Which surgery is best for them. Personally I went back and forth every hour. You have to do what is best for you. Changing your mind everday is not unusual. This may be one of the biggest decisions of your life. For me the one thing that scared me about the lapband was the fills. I did not relish being shot in the stomache every couple of months. I understand once they get it right it stops. But how painful are the shots? How often do you have to get one or more? That was my biggest concern. I am scheduled for RNY on the 27th and believe me I am nervous. I need to loose a lot of weight and for me RNY seem to be the best. As you can tell some serious complications can occur, even death. To this day I think I could still change my mind. Good luck and make the right decision for you.
Lisa_Rene
on 11/28/06 11:16 am - El Mirage, AZ
Thanks everyone for the replies. It has helped out alot. I guess I'm leaning more towards the lapband. I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he made me think about a few more things. A friend at work had the RNY and she is thrilled with it. So, like everyone has said, we have to pick what works out best for each of us. This is just a great sight to gather information and get help when we need it. Thanks again! Lisa
Most Active