Tucson Fills TERRIBLE experience

taywill
on 11/26/06 9:17 am - Suffolk, VA
I recently moved from VA where I'd had lap band surgery in Jan. 2005. After quite a bit of research on Southern Arizona weight loss doctors, I emailed Burpee's practice and asked if they did fills and aftercare for post-ops from other areas. I got a nice reply email from Dr. Chaisson saying that they do offer after care for lap band patients; he outlined the fees and invited me to call for an appointment, so I called the number and made an appointment with Dr. Burpee. During that first meeting, Dr. Burpee told me that he doesn't like the lap band and that he doesn't think it works and that weight loss is really a mathematical equation of calories in versus calories out. He then told me about some other practice out of Pheonix that has better success with lap bands. I was floored and frustrated and almost started to cry because I felt like I was in the wrong place being lectured for a surgery decision I'd made two years earlier. I explained to him that I'd emailed his practice and was told by the other doctor that they do lap bands and that they offer aftercare for lap band patients. It was a terrible experience that left me feeling confused and chastised and $700 lighter.
AvasGrammy
on 11/26/06 2:21 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Laura, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience! I am going to a wonderful doctor in Phoenix named Dr. Terry Simpson. I do believe that he also comes to Tucson and does appts and fills there as well as here in Phoenix. If you are interested you could give his office a call and they could give you the information. I switched doctors from where i had my original surgery to Dr. Simpson and I am so happy that I did! He is fantastic...laid back and easy to talk to...and he is very knowledgable about the band etc... Hope this helps you! LuAnne
Arizona_Sun
on 11/27/06 5:36 am - Gilbert, AZ
Check out Dr. Simpson. He has a web site with contact info on it at http://www.drsimpson.com/. I met him recently, I am an RNY post-op and not his original patient, and he was very helpful and concerned about my particular complaint. He gave me plenty of time with my appointment and I left with a most favorable impression of him. He does go down to Tucson on a regular basis to conduct support groups and other things. I am sure that if you contact his office you will be able to get answerst to your questions. Sandy
K B (Tucson)
on 11/27/06 7:57 am - Tucson, AZ
Dr Chaisson or his partner (I can't remember which) presented at the Tucson OH conference this spring and I definitely got the impression that he did not support the band. He talked to another girl at the conference and tried to persuede her to get gastric bypass. I love my band and have lost 117 lb in exactly 1 year. I am 10-15 lb from "normal" weight. The band is a great wl tool. You do have other choices in bariatric support in Tucson, but it is limited. You could call Monte Schwartz, the new doc on the scene. If your insurane does not cover fills, then his price for fills is very steep, but likely less than what he will charge patients who were banded in Mexico. It seems few docs want to fill patients banded in Mex. You could also try Simpson in Phx, and there is a nurse who comes to Phx once a month to do fills and charges only $100 from what I am told. Email me privately for this info. Also, did you know that some of us Tucson bandsters have started a monthly get together to meet each other? I can give you this info as well if you are interested. Good luck.
Most Active