Where do we buy the best protein drinks?

carolem
on 11/16/06 6:50 am - Austin , TX
Maybe I'm not asking the question quite right. I know everyone has a diffent opinion on what's the best source of protein. I need someone from SBC to respond so we stay within their guidelines. My husband went to his prost op class but didn't come away with that information, except to say GNC sells it. They sell a lot of them so that didn't help! I'm not even sure at this point he can have them. He's a lap band patient and his surgery was Nov.6th. We just want to vary what he can drink. He's not going for vegetable broth anymore. What about sugar free popsicles? Isn't there something about the artificial sweetner that is a problem? You all know the answer's to these questions. Waiting for a response.... CaroleM
Nicole W.
on 11/16/06 8:07 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Carole! I ended up getting Isopure for the first week... that was one thing the dietician's told us in our one week class. However, the flavors are really, really sweet and have a after-taste. He can dilute it enough and get plenty of his water intake in. I got so sick of them over after day 4... but each person is different. So I emailed SBC and Cassie told me to try World Wide Protein Shakes that they sell at Sprouts... SO MUCH BETTER! They have 35 grams of protein and come in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and banana cream. They taste like Slim Fast shakes. Also, Mary told me last night at support group that she bought some of the vials from "The Vitamin Shoppe"... I guess they are having a 40% sale this month. So I am going to go check them out probably tomorrow. But you can get the Isopure at Hi-Health, GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. I am pretty sure he can have sugar-free ice pops... I was eating them after I came home from my surgery... they were soothing and just something different. Have him read his binder again... al the info is in there. Also... feel free to email the girls at the office. They will respond in the morning... [email protected]
K B (Tucson)
on 11/16/06 11:26 am - Tucson, AZ
The "best" protein is the one that you can tolerate. I personally don't like the sweet ones like Isopure or the fake choclately ones either. I do like the no-taste ones that you can add to real foods. My best advice is to buy samples of several brands and flaavors, then buy the ones you like. Do remember that your tastes will change over even a short period of time, so don't buy too much at one time. I personally get my protein from bariatriceating.com, but others like the GNC and local health store brands. Find what you like. I do try to get the kinds that have the most protein for the least amount of calories. That is why I chose to buy protein designed for bariatric patients.
KT300
on 11/16/06 1:16 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hey Carole, I second Nicole's vote on the Wordwide protein drinks at Sprouts. We're not supposed to have artificial sweetners, makes your body want more real food and people who do they say consume an extra 500-800 more calories a day. I miss them and I'm not sure about Lap Band patients as I believe you guys can eat more types of food than bypass. But I would email the dieticians at SBC as Nicole said. I've been drinking herbal iced tea and Starbucks has a plain herbal tea, no caffeine/sugar/sweetner that I have iced, Passion that I like. Best of luck. Katie
Most Active