Out of pocket costs at SBC?

paulacohen
on 11/11/06 2:40 am
Hi to all, As I read thru some older posts I see several references to high out of pocket costs, ie for diet, etc, at Scottsdale Bariatric. As I start this journey, this is concerning and I want to be prepared. Anyone care to share? Thanks, Paula
Sandy in Tucson
on 11/11/06 3:36 am - Tucson, AZ
I have no clue about that program. I am a patient of Dr. Fang.........I pd $150 co-pay total for my surgery 2 years ago. I like Dr. Fang...not sure if St. Lukes is all that wonderful....but I do my own research......come to this message board...search the internet....many of my friends now are WLS people....and never expected the surgery to do the 100% of the work---now at 2yrs out it does maybe 10% of the work...Trust me WLS was one of the toughest things I ever did in my life, because I wanted success sooooooo bad...Sandy RNY open 347/147/140
CK777
on 11/11/06 6:43 am - Avondale, AZ
Paula I have UHC Choice and here is what I paid out of pocket: Psych Eval & Test with Dr. Messer was 325.00 Initial consult at SBC was my copay of 25.00 Initial Nutrition charge I paid out of pocket 92.00 My surgery is November 21st and my copay will be 100.00 I believe that will be it for charges for my out of pocket? SBC use to have a 1000.00 fee for your support issues like nutrition and support groups but that has since been dropped. Hope this helps a bit. Cathy
paulacohen
on 11/11/06 7:02 am
Thanks ladies - appreciate the info - that's not so scary -- Cathy, when did you start the process? Thanks again! Paula
CK777
on 11/11/06 3:22 pm - Avondale, AZ
I went to SBC's seminar on July 9th and started the process. In the meantime I went to my PCP for my annual check up and told her I needed a letter of medical necessity which she wrote up for me. I then received a call from Terry @ SBC to set up my initial consult and that was for August 3rd, I also took my psych test that day. I went back on the 15th of August for the psych eval I was approved on August 27th and scheduled surgery on the 28th. Not too awful!! Cathy
Nicole W.
on 11/11/06 7:47 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I think I paid $475 for the pysch eval, dietican visit and the initial consult. They dropped the $1000 fee for the support package. One of the many things I love about Scottsdale Bariatric, is the support groups, classes and the availbility of the resources. Plus, Dr. Blackstone is AWESOME! Good Luck with your decision!
KT300
on 11/11/06 3:02 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hey Paula, In addition to the $400+ for the psych, nutritonist, etc.. I did pay $350 for 6 mos for Dr. Emmerschad, the diet dr. who helps people lose 10% of their weight which my ins. comp. did require for approval but doesn't anymore. It would've been $500 but my ins. picked up the balance. I have United EPO with the State of AZ. Good luck! Katie
MARY OTU
on 11/12/06 11:51 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Paula, You have had a lot of response but one more should not be a bother. While I love Dr Blackstone and the support groups, after care, etc., the office staff and billing department have been a nightmare. I do believe it is shaping up though. Here is what I would suggest: Make sure that EVERYTHING you pay for is billed to your insurance whether you are told they will pay or not. At least get them to consider it. This way you will get a response from the insurance company directly. I also went to my own PCP for the 6 mth weight loss (cost $90.00 in co-pays only) and found a Phych. covered by my insurance (cost $15 co-pay) to do my eval. Even though SBC will "encourage" you to use the SBC providers you DO NOT have too. I just argued my case on this as I felt I had the right to choose my own Doctors. They gave in when I did this. One last note: If you feel that you paid too much or are due a refund Put it in Writing and e-mail SBC for a response. That as worked for me. Lots of luch. Mary PS I have City of Phx CIGNA HMO. Approved in 4 days. RNY 10-04-06
paulacohen
on 11/13/06 12:03 am
Thank you - that is good advice - I do have a therapist that I've seen in the past whom I really, really like, so I'll see if that will work out...thanks again, great advice... Paula
Most Active