ATTN Dr. Terry Simpson patients

Paula Prichard
on 11/10/06 11:08 am - Kingman, AZ
My surgey is Monday, and although I watched the online video, I am still unclear about the after surgery meal situation. How long are the liquids....and the video said liquids is sf/ff yogur****er, and broth...since when is yogurt a liquid? What were YOUR instructions and how long was each phase- liquids and then mushies? THANK YOU!!!
Stephanie W.
on 11/10/06 12:52 pm - Peoria, AZ
Paula, Here's the schedule. I'm copying it straight out of my pre-op binder: Day 1- clear liquids- broth, water, SF jello, SF popsicles, tea, coffee, and juices diluted with water. Day 4- full liquids- skim milk, protein drinks, ovaltine, frozen yougurt, cream of wheat, strained creamed soups, SF pudding, V-8. Day 11- soft foods- soft cooked egg, cottage cheese, string cheese, canned tuna, baked white fish, canned chicken with light Miracle Whip, canned vegetables, mashed taters, beans, canned fruits, oatmeal, crackers. Day 28- solids As far as your other questions: The pain was not bad. As soon as you wake up in Recovery, they ask you to rate your pain from 1-10. I said 3. They gave me pain meds right away. Unfortunately, they made me dry heave immediately, but I was expecting that. All narcotics make me sick. Since I was so sick, they decided to admit me for the night. Dr. Simpson told me I could go home anytime. Around 8pm, the pain meds finally wore off and the nausea went away, and I was out the door. I wanted to sleep in my own bed. I only did Tylenol after that, and I was fine. It's not really pain, it's soreness. I self-paid. Most people go home within a few hours, but you can stay the night if you need to. No one is going to run you out the door if you're not ready. If you are having your surgery at Maryvale Hospital, the nurses are great!!
Most Active