Pregnancy and lap band?

surprisemommy
on 11/5/06 1:25 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Jamie, Im a newbie. I currently weigh 235lbs and am 5'3. My bmi is 41. I am 27yrs old. I already have a son who will be 3 in Februrary. : ) I am attending a seminar at Banner Good Sam this coming Tuesday evening. Dr Juarez is hosting it. I want to learn as much as I can about the surgery. My husband is really concerned because we do want another child in the next couple years. Does anyone know the guidelines for pregnancy and lap band? How long after can I get pregnant? Ive seen 1yr and 2yr doing internet searches. I guess I just get worried because it says fetal risks...I dont want to put a baby in harm. Anyone with any info please help me! Thanks Jamie : )
Darlene X
on 11/5/06 10:46 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Im pretty sure Juarez will say 1 yr before getting pregnant, that is Dr Fang's opinion, and they work together... but Lap band is entirely different, because if you do get pregnant sooner they just un-fill you. Check out the post-op pregnancy board, they could answer a lot of your questions, and there are quite a few pregnant lap banders around. You will have no isues, you can have another child just fine... and be healthier for it...
tweet-tweet
on 11/6/06 1:07 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 03/17/14
Hi. I had the lapband put in by Dr. Fang. The office does say 1 year. However... the PP is correct, if you get PG sooner, they can take some fill out and your pregnancy will be fine. The big thing is to not have an "oops" and not realize it right away. It isn't good for the baby to have you loosing a lot of weight while pregnant. Another reason they say to wait a year is so that you have lost most of your excess weight. When you are at an idea weight (whether from WLS or diet), the rates of pregnancy complications from obesity do go down. But, when I talked to my OB about that, he said that if I got PG while still a bit overweight, I wouldn't increase my risk that much....
Paula Prichard
on 11/7/06 1:37 am - Kingman, AZ
Hello! Come on over to the Post-Op Pregnancy board! I had an RNY and a tummy tuck prior to getting preggo. I just had to be more careful to eat right and take my vitamins. Other women on the board who have had the Band get unfilled so there is little to no eating restriction so they can have healthy pregnancies. It is suggested by ALL doctors that you wait 1-2 years. Good luck! I am 27, too, and my son is 7 months old.
Most Active