Protein Supplement Agony

MARY OTU
on 10/27/06 6:49 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I am 3 weeks out from RNY with Blackstone. I need help with the protein supplement requirement. I bought the Isopure Clear and just too much and too sweet. I bought a HUGE container ($35) of Isopure powder vanilla. Was able to tolerate it for about 1 & 1/2 weeks but now makes me gag just to smell it let alone swallow it. Today I tried World Wide shake and it is not so horrible except it is SO_O_O_O sweet! Has anyone found a supplement that is not too sweet and not too thick? I know I need to get my protein in but it is very difficult when I have to keep trying new stuff. Thanks, Mary
JRinAZ
on 10/27/06 8:48 am - Layton, UT
Mary, That trial period is awful. I wasted so much money on sampling things. I would recommend going to Nutrition Warehouse (3 stores in Phoenix area) and buying bunches of samples. I recommend the choc Champion Pure Whey Stack sample and the Syntrax (Nectar varieties) samples. Also, you can go to www.vitalady.com and order samples packets that can be her in 3 days. I order from her for the majority of my supplements since she is a veteran weight loss surgery gal herself and weeds through products first to find the best for post-ops. Good luck! Joyce
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/06 9:23 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Joyce. I'm not post WLS yet, but just thinking ahead, I guess you could say. I noticed you mentioned a protein supplement that is whey based. Out of curiousity, are most protein supps whey based? I ask because I'm REALLY lactose intolerant, and whey is a lactose byproduct. Should I start researching for a non-whey based one now? Just trying to get all the info I can before my time comes! -Nicole
JRinAZ
on 10/28/06 10:56 am - Layton, UT
Hi Nicole! The whey isolate proteins are fine for those of us who are lactose intollerant. I use a whey blend (Matrix chocolate) and do just fine. You might want to try some samples though just to see if it effects you badly or not. They containers usually mention whether or not it is fine for lactose intollerance. If you can....you should select whey. It's a complete protein. .......... Soy products are good healthy food choices but they are not complete proteins. Get samples at www.vitalady.com or www.bariatriceating.com Good luck! Joyce
Susanbs4
on 10/27/06 10:28 am
I am a Dr. B patient as well but a bit further out. She recommends the Isopure zero carb liquid for her postop patients. I loved it before my RNY and now cannot stand it. If you haven't tried it, it comes in about six flavors. The grape was my favorite. I got a bunch of samples of different powders and found that if I add some SF flavored syrup to them, I can whip up a pretty good tasting supplement. Again, she does not encourage using the syrups but I need to get it into me somehow. I don't know if people might bring different brands etc to support group but....you might ask someone there for just a scoop of whatever they like.
MARY OTU
on 10/28/06 1:06 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Does anyone know where else I can buy the samples? Thanks, Mary
auntnanan04
on 10/28/06 1:57 am - Tucson, AZ
Mary, Have you talked to Cassie about your problem? She usually has some good suggestions.I use to drink Isopure carbfree with lots of ice. It seem to help get it down. There is another protein supplement called Profect. It comes in a test tube shape bottle and has many different flavors. I have not had them but others love them. You can order over them the internet. Good luck! Phyllis
Sandy in Tucson
on 10/28/06 3:34 am - Tucson, AZ
I use Unjury...it is far from cheap to buy....you get it only thru the internet. www.unjury.com I am 200 lbs down...............I believe in Unjury. Sandy
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/06 6:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I use www.jayrobb.com proteins. I like Cho whey the best!! Yummy!!
lemarie22
on 10/29/06 1:22 am - Glendale, AZ
Mary, I never did find a protein shake that I loved, but I found one I could tolerate. EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Shakes in the Chocolate Fudge flavor were OK as long as they were very cold. They aren't thick, more like chocolate milk consistency and not as sweet as some of the others I tried. I usually bought a case from Sam's Club, but I think you can buy them individually from GNC or Hi-Health. The nutrition stats are below. Connie Calories 100 Calories from Fat 25 Total Fat 3 g Saturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 5 mg Total Carbohyrate 1 g Impact Carbs 0 g Sodium 240 mg Potassium 440 mg Dietary Fiber 1 g Protein 15 g Sugars 0 g
Most Active