New, and in Tucson!

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/06 12:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi there! I'm pretty new to these parts. I'm Nicole, 24, and I'm looking to have WLS. (Please see my profile for more info on me!). I live in central Tucson, and will be getting new insurance within the next few weeks. I'm looking for a PCP who is supportive of people looking to get WLS, and who is in Tucson. My new insurance will be Mercy Care (part of the ACCSHS group) and from what I've read, they are a very willing insurance company when the right qualifications are met. I've had 3 different PCPs in the past 3 years, all of whom have said I am "too young" for WLS, and I should just lose weight normally. Uhhh Doc? I've spent the last 14 years of my life on one long, impossible diet. I'm worse off than a lot of people. I need to do this because I know it'll be the right thing to get me back onto a healthy track. I'm not looking for it to "cure" me... just assist me in getting to the healthy, thin person I know is hiding inside me somewhere! Anyhoo, any words of wisdom or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance! -Nicole
Darlene X
on 10/26/06 12:54 am - Maricopa, AZ
Welcome Nicole!! Good luck with your journey! Too young my butt! LOL Im 24 too, and I had surgery March of this year. My sister in law was 20 when she had surgery. I hope everything goes smoothly for you! Darlene 338/203/170
tml
on 10/26/06 8:50 am
Hi Nicole. I too live in Tucson and hope to have WLS soon. And like you I have been on ever diet known to man. Nothing has worked. I will be getting a referral from my insurance to see a Bariatric surgeon on the 2nd of November. If you want I would be more than happy to tell you who I am seeing. Maybe that would help you out a bit. Tina
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/06 10:03 am - Tucson, AZ
Tina, that would be wonderful! There's only one surgeon in Tucson that I already know of, Monte Schwartz, and he's highly reccomended, but I'm curious if there are definately more here! Thanks again! -Nicole
tml
on 10/26/06 12:20 pm
No problem. I'm happy to help. And I will let you know who I am seeing as soon as I find out. lol. What part of Tucson do you live in? Tina
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/06 1:01 pm - Tucson, AZ
Central, near Speedway and Alvernon. We (meaning my fiancee and myself) just moved here from Massachusetts in February. Good news is, I've got an appointment on Tuesday morning to see if I can get approved for insurance. I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and whatever else I can, crossed! -Nicole
tml
on 10/26/06 3:56 pm
That's great news!! I wish you good luck. I live on the air base. My husband is military. We haven't lived here long. Let me know how the appointment goes.
mmswarowski
on 10/26/06 9:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hey Nicole....Welcome to Tucson. My surgeon is Doctor Schwartz....he was wonderful. Of course he is a highly skilled surgeon, but also he is sweet and kind and understanding. My pcp is his wife Dr Tisha Schwartz....however, she is out on maternity leave until Jan. She, as you can imagine is supportive of WLS. She is at River and Campbell...I think the world of her! You are not too young to have surgery....I so wish I had had mine when I was in my twenties....my life would have been so much better! Good luck in your journey...if I can answer any other questions for you please let me know. Maryellen
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/06 9:28 am - Tucson, AZ
She's out till January, eh? Bummer. She was at the top of my "potential PCP" list! I've got a few others to look into, that seem to be pro-WLS. I assumed since she was married to a bariatric surgeon, she'd be super WLS friendly! I doubt she'll be accepting new patients as soon as she's back from maternity leave, anyhow. Thanks for the tip! -Nicole
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 10/28/06 1:28 am - Tucson, AZ
I go to Dr. Lionel Duarte, Family Practice, and he is located at 22nd and Harrison. All I had to do was tell him I wanted to do the surgery and he gave me a referral.
Most Active