Question regarding Pre Op Nutrition Meeting @ SBC

CK777
on 10/21/06 8:15 am - Avondale, AZ
Hello I was wondering if anyone could let me know if they feel having someone with at the pre-op nutrition class would be beneficial or really not necessary? My surgery date is finally nearing (well a month away Nov. 21st) and my pre op nutrition class is this Wednesday. Thanks Cathy
Susanbs4
on 10/22/06 1:00 am
I had my surgery with Dr. Blackstone on 9/13. While it is always nice to have someone with you, I attended the class alone. They give you plenty of handouts that you can review as you get closer to your date. I went over them with my husband just he knew what was going on. Good luck with your surgery. I am 5 wks out and 32lbs lighter.
Linda S.
on 10/22/06 3:40 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I think it is nice to have someone along if you can. A 2nd set of ears are always good. Also, if this person is going to be involved with you through your post operation time, it will help them understand more. Good luck with your surgery, the date will come before you know it.
Nicole W.
on 10/22/06 4:53 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Cathy, I too went to went to my Pre-Op class alone... only because my mom didn't want to get up at 7am! They do have room at each table for your support person, so feel free to bring someone with you, but you get your binder that has EVERYTHING in it and you can go over it with your family later on. I was there from 7:45 until 2:30pm that day so sitting was bugging my back after a while. Definately, bring a sweater... it got very chilly in that room!
Nicole W.
on 10/22/06 5:01 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Cathy, Forgot ask in my previous post... but is this just your dietician visit or your Pre-Op class that is in the hospital on the Bariatric unit? If it is your Pre-Op Class... you will see a few different people. The floor nurse, respiratory therapist (and get your incentive spirometer), fitness, relaxation therapist, pyschologist and the nutrionist. Administration will also come in and tell you what is going to happen the day of surgery and then they will start the Pre-Admission processes. So its a busy day and informing day!
CK777
on 10/22/06 2:45 pm - Avondale, AZ
Hi Nicole I believe it is my Pre-Op class, it is from 7:30-1:30 (or so it states that on the paper). I have already breifly met with the dietician a while ago. I would hate to have my husband miss a day of work if it isn't necessary (for the Pre-Op Class) but he already has it requested off (and approved) but maybe he should save it for the day AFTER the surgery? So there is other Pre-Op's in the class at the same time...........is that correct? I tried to look for you at the Support Group last Wednesday but I didn't see you, plus it was my first one and I didn't realize it until later that there is more than one room for these meetings! I was hoping to see/meet you. I don't know how often I can go to these meetings, not that I don't want to but they are so far from my house! My next appointment after that is November 6th for my Pre-Op appt. with Dr. Blackstone and then I think that is it until surgery. I have all my tests done so now it is sit and wait. I am so excited and not a bit nervous (is it normal not to be nervous?). Gosh, you surgery is coming up right around the corner! How exciting! Well, thank you everyone for your advice on wheter or not to bring someone with to the class I think he will be coming with unless work gets really busy. Cathy
Nicole W.
on 10/22/06 4:17 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Cathy, I would have your husband save the vacation day... you are the classroom with other Pre-Op patients, so you will have people to talk to and they are all having surgery within a few weeks of your surgery, so they are in the same boat as yourself! I think Katie might be there with you this week... not sure thou. Cassie or one of the nutrionist will come in and go over all the vitamins, diet and so on in detail and then you can ask all your questions. I went by myself and I was fine... but it is totally up to you. The day goes pretty fast because so many people are coming in and out to present their part. Best part was the relaxation and pyschology part. As for the support group... I usually always end up in the second room. This past time we (Katie, Melissa and I) waited and saw which room Buddy (the cute pyschologist) went into and was moderating... because he is just so damn nice to look at. Let me know the next time you go and I will meet you outside. It's difficult for me to go also since I work evenings, but sometimes I can rearrange my schedule to attend. I am going to try my hardest to go the week after surgery... but we'll see!
carolem
on 10/23/06 6:52 am - Austin , TX
They combined ours with the main pre-op class so we wouldn't need to come back a 2nd time. You do get a binder, I've already looked at it several times. You even get a fun little box lunch that is a sample of how you will be eating. It was surprisingly good! I think life after surgery is going to be exactly what we make it. If you want to get creative after your able to eat real food, then you will make it fun. I think initially I plan to keep it pretty simple for the first 30 days, which is what they recommend. It's the not drinking before or during that concerns me, but other's are having no problem with it so I think it's just what you convince yourself of! Your surgery is right before mine. I'm 11/29, your probably a little nervous about it all, it's suppose to be normal, I think this website helps a lot. Carolem
alligatorpgr
on 10/23/06 1:22 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Cathy, if your pre-op nutrition class is this Wednesday then I might see you in the waiting room. My first appt is scheduled for this Wednesday, and I am very excited. I've heard from other people that you get a lot of information in the pre-op classes, but I also read a book called Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, and it was very informative as well. Good luck with your appt on Wednesday, and let the countdown for your surgery begin !!!!
CK777
on 10/23/06 1:51 pm - Avondale, AZ
Hi Alli Yes, the Pre-Op education class is THIS Wednesday so maybe I'll see you? What time is your appointment? If I remember correctly I think I have to go somewhere else though but I could be wrong (I have to check my paperwork). I'm glad you got your appointment, this is one of the first steps, are you also doing the psych eval? I didn't have to do the sleep test or cardiac clearance so I'm glad about that. I did have to have the Pap, Mam, chest x-ray, EKG and the bloodwork (which is all done). Did you make the support meeting last Wednesday? Well, good luck Wednesday and if you need help with anything just let me know. Cathy
Most Active