HAVING SURGERY IN TWO WEEKS

jlmusbah
on 10/16/06 5:01 am - gilbert, AZ
Hi everyone, I am going to have the lap-band surgery on Ocober 23rd with Dr.Blackstone. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. I have a few questions. Most of my worries is the change of the eating and the chewing. Can you still eat most of the foods you used to eat? but just a little bit at a time correct? My big questions is the chewing is this going to become a bother for the rest of my life? Does it become normal after awhile? what if you are hiking and you want to drink a whole class of water at once would this be impossible or what? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to feel like I have a handicap. Are most of you happy that you did the surgery? I am 250 now want to be 145. I live in Gilbert. Thanks God bless Jackie
jlmusbah
on 10/16/06 5:10 am - gilbert, AZ
Terri M.
on 10/16/06 9:13 am - Pinedale, AZ
Hi Jackie, I was Banded almost 2 years ago and I am VERY HAPPY!!! I am down 119lbs!! The chewing for me became a habit. I really don't have any trouble with it anylonger. At first Yes, I would forget but my band soon reminded me and it did become just another part of my eating habits. I am tighter in the mornings so I make sure I don't eat anything major until lunch. I usually just have a Protein drink for breakfast and some fruit a little later on. Since my last fill I can't eat breads, cakes, muffins or the likes. But who needs the carbs anyways, Right? A lot of my bandster friends are the same but not all. Some can still eat breads. With everything else as long as I chew, chew and chew I can eat it. As for drinking I don't have any trouble with it, but once again it has to be a little later in the morning. I can drink some when I first get up but just sips. I am up at 4:00am and by 8:30am I can drink pretty normal. That is when I drink my protein drink and take my vitamins and pills. Again, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY BAND!! It was the best decision I ever made. I call it my best friend. Would I do it all over again? IN A HEART BEAT!! I see you live in Gilbert? I use to work at the Sunrise Preschool in Gilbert. On Burke. I worked there for 12 years. I now live near Show Low. Congratulations on Your surgery date. Your Great journey to a new and healther you is just around the corner. Good luck, Terri Mully
K B (Tucson)
on 10/16/06 2:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
Ditto. I am also a bandster and life is mostly normal food wise, but no bread or pasta for me. I have lost 111 lb in just under 11 months and am close to "normal" weight now. The band is a great wl tool.
Nicole W.
on 10/16/06 12:30 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Jackie, Congrats on your upcoming surgery... 23rd is not far away at all. My surgery is on the 30th with Dr. Blackstone. Have you met with Cassie or any of the dietician's at SBC? Or done some of the behavior modification that you were instructed to start? Or if you read the binder that we received in our pre-op classes, it gives you an outline of what you can eat and when (only clear foods for the 1st week). From what I understand is that our eating and chewing habits have to greatly change after the surgery... small bites and plenty of chewing otherwise your pouch won't be able to tolerate it and it will come up. I am sure once your body gets used to the surgery and the amount of food it can take in, you can eat some old stuff, that is healthy! Gotta remember, this is a life changing procedure... it will take a lifetime of dedication... otherwise you will just regain your weight if you don't follow your new diet. If you haven't already I would attend the next support group meeting on Wednesday... there is some great information in those meetings! Good Luck!
jlmusbah
on 10/17/06 1:00 am - gilbert, AZ
Thanks Terry Mully and Nicole W for your wonderful response. It is so nice to know we have friends out there and we have never met. It is so important to support one another. Nicole you mentioned there is a support meeting this wednesday where at? Cause I will go. I know Scottsdale has them but I thought at the first monday of each month. Question again; Can I still have decafinated coffee in the morning after a week or so? Thanks again for your responses.
MARY OTU
on 10/17/06 8:51 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Jackie, Hi. I am Mary. I had bi-pass 2 weeks ago and aside from pretty tired most of the time I am doing well. The support group meets at Scottsdale Shea Hospital conference room on Wednesday at 6pm. See you there. Mary
Nicole W.
on 10/17/06 11:56 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Jackie, Scottsdale has their meetings the 1st Monday and 3rd Wednesday of every month. Next meeting is tomorrow at 6pm... located in the same place as the seminar. The 1st two rooms on the right are for Pre-Op to 4 months out. Hope to see you there! Nicole
carolem
on 10/17/06 8:38 am - Austin , TX
Hi Jackie, We share the same surgeon, my husband is having the surgery Nov 6th and I'm on the 29th. We will have to keep in touch and check in with each other's progress. I think both my husband and myself have all sorts of concerns about post surgery. Most of it is probably things that will never come up. I think you have to focus on how much of a quality of life improvement it will be. I would be more than happy to chew my food a little longer and maybe sip water instead of a big glass of water all at once. I think after a few months when you do want to go on a hike, the water won't be an issue. I don't know about you but I feel handicaped with all this extra weight. I'm not getting nearly enough exercise because I get short of breath and my lower back kills me. It's put a definate damper on all the clothes shopping at the malls I use to do! I wish I could say I've saved a lot of money without the mall shopping, but I discovered internet shopping and catalogs! There's always a way. I hope we can keep in touch, I just discovered this web site and am so happy to find local people. I live in Gilbert and work in Chandler, I've met a couple of other local people as well. Maybe we can get out own support group going. Good Luck with your surgery, they tell us we're in good hands with Dr. Blackstone. Your new friend, Carole
jlmusbah
on 10/18/06 1:40 am - gilbert, AZ
Nicole and Terri i will be at the support group meeting tonight hope to see you there. Thanks for the tips. Carole Moorhead thanks for your reponse I live in Gilbert as well We all should meet some time at the Danna Park where AJ's is. Valvista/ Baseline beautyful place to sit outside and chat. We should pick once a month where we all meet and talk about our progress or concerns. I too am very happy I found this site. everyone is so support of. Jackie M.
Most Active