Revision due to Strictures--Anyone?

mgamine
on 10/5/06 11:34 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi I'm at 10.5 months out from RNY on 11-22-06. I've lost 154 pounds so the surgery has worked. However, I am now having my 6th stricture with the last one being 2 weeks ago...and the one prior to that 4 weeks. I've been prescribed Reglan to see if that will help the food move through and am being scheduled for an Upper GI (hopefully today) followed by an EGD to yet again stretch me out. My surgeon has brought up the topic of a revision if these options do not work. The revision would be to redo the stoma so it is a bit bigger--my staple line is currently at 21 and he's talking about making it 25-27. This would involve removing the current stoma a bit above and below thereby removing a small portion of intestine and of the pouch. He has said the revision would be my choice for when I can't deal with this anymore...well, I've reached that stage, but am not ready to consider surgery again. As you can imagine I would be back at the beginning and this surgery would have to be open instead of lap...I had a difficult recovery from lap (low iron, massive bruising/pain, etc.). Understandably I'm hesitant that I will have similar. Has anyone had this type of revision and how far out from surgery? Anyone with anything similar???? Thanks chelle
CINABOBINA
on 10/6/06 1:45 am
Chelle can I ask who is the doctor ? you have a staple line ?
mgamine
on 10/6/06 6:19 am - Mesa, AZ
Dr. DeBarros and I'm not sure about a staple line. I know the stomache was bisected & the pouch made like normal. This is nothing from the doc.....it's my body. Seems there is a genetic thing in my family for over-development of scar tissue. chelle
Most Active