New to site

chrisaf
on 10/3/06 2:19 pm - Kingman, AZ
Hello, My name is Christine and I have a surgery date for Nov. 6th with Dr. Fang. I have to say I am a bit more than scared. When I first found this site a few months ago a patient had just died from complications from the surgery. I have so many questions and everyone in here seems to be so nice. I am from Kingman so I will be traveling for the surgery. I guess my biggest question is I am wondering if everyone was as afraid of this surgery as I am. Im in the medical field so sometimes I think that too much knowledge is not such a good thing. Anyway this is where I will start with my questions. Thanks Christine
Melissa P
on 10/4/06 1:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Christine, What you are feeling is perfectly normal. It is a scarey thing. I am not sure how to make you feel any better about those feelings. But I just wanted to let you know that being scared is a normal emotion. It is a major surgery and a life changing surgery. Just go into with a good attitude and ask lots of questions. That is what helped me. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Melissa
Darlene X
on 10/4/06 4:10 am - Maricopa, AZ
Hi Christine!! I was very scared when I had my surgery-- When Hubby had his I was afraid he would die... me, I knew I wouldnt die, in my heart I knew things would be fine.. I was just afraid of pain! Things worked out just fine. You are in VERY good hands, I just LOVE Dr Fang! Darlene Me: 338/211/170 EJ: 520/276/220
chrisaf
on 10/4/06 12:47 pm - Kingman, AZ
You know what is funny is when I started this about 1 1/2 years ago, I did not have a fear in the world. I was ready. With my declining health and my increased immobility I just knew this was what I had to do. I was not afraid of the pain or fear that I would not be able to eat again nothing. Then my husband told me of his fears and I started to reconsider my decision. We have a 6 year old daughter and I started to think that if I died she would be alone without a mother. This scared me until someone recently said to me, "Yes your here but you cant do anything with her." Its true and that is why I have decided to go through with the surgery. Thanks to everyone for there kind inspiration and thoughts and as soon as I can I will post a pic and keep in touch. Christine
CKoehlerGMa
on 10/4/06 10:02 am
Hi there In my case I looked at it from a different angle. I was not afraid of the urgery as much as I was afraid what would happen if I didn't have it. My health was severly effected by my weight and was not getting better. I knew that for me there was a choice, do it and maybe have complications or don't do it and know that it will kill me in time for sure. I chose to live and I haven't had a single regret yet. I have never felt better and I would do it again if I had to. The way I feel now was worth the way I felt after surgery. Just keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Theres alot of friendly people here. Claudette
vquigley
on 10/4/06 3:00 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Christine, Welcome to this site! I had surgery a couple of months ago and have lost at least 42 pounds and now have a completely different outlook on life. I can honestly say that I was not scared of the surgery--I was more scared of what would happen if I didn't have the surgery. Before surgery, I just existed and after surgery, I'm finally starting to live again. People now tell me that I have a sparkle in my eyes (guess I wasn't looking too well before surgery) and I can now walk around my office which was a challenge before surgery. One of the things that helped me was to make a list of the things I wanted to do after I lost weight (and believe me, I referred to that list the day of surgery). Good luck to you, Virginia
ROBERT E.
on 10/5/06 12:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Christine, PLEASE - - - buy the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." It will answer all your questions before during and after the surgery. This is a great resource guide. Bob
Most Active