I hiked 1/2 down the Grand Canyon...Sunday

Sandy in Tucson
on 10/2/06 10:35 pm - Tucson, AZ
I am home and on my way out the door to work. I hiked 45% down th Grand Canyon on Sunday. It was not that hard. The trail was so wide it felt like a freeway. I was with a ranger 1/2 the way on the south kaibab trail ....then I went on more by myself. so, many people alone on the trail...amazing. Going up was tough....little over 2,000 ft elevation gain. It is 7,000 ft at the rim...where I went...Skeletons point is 5,000 ft......then I went down abit more-about 7.5 miles total in lenght. Anyways, total time was just under 7 hrs round trip. If I can do it at 56 yrs old...anyone can. I had good hiking equipment---trail running shoes on....a camelback for water....hiking poles...and a good hat----good cushioned hiking socks and mole skin on my feet. . It was fun---going back in Dec to go even further down. Sandy
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/3/06 4:21 am - Prescott, AZ
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You continue to amaze me!!! That sounds so great -- I am trying to build up to hike. Sheryl
Darlene X
on 10/4/06 4:13 am - Maricopa, AZ
Sandy, that is so awesome!!! Im in awe! I can't wait till Im able to do something like that! Darlene
Linda S.
on 10/4/06 4:41 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Sandy, you are such a high energy, love to read your posts.
Sandy in Tucson
on 10/5/06 3:34 am - Tucson, AZ
My energy stinks...I have low-normal iron issues. I have been on ferrous gluconate 324 mg Rx from Dr. Fang about 8 months now. It is helping....still tired. I drink 3-4 protein drinks per day still....that helps. I use Unjury protein from the internet. I believe it is the best quality.
Sandy in Tucson
on 10/5/06 3:31 am - Tucson, AZ
trust me you could do it now. I am dead serious. The bright angel and south Kaibab trails are like 6-8 ft wide....not rocky---flat---like a highway. Pleanty of places to sit down and rest. I did the south Kaibab trail with a park ranger 7:30 show at trail head...you got to use the shuttle to get to the trail head...no cars. Then I went on alone to Skelteon point after we left Cedar point. Trust me...........walking up is not that hard. I suggest a hiking hat.....Camelbacks.....good snacks....good shoes---I have trail running shoes----got them at speciality running store in Tucson (fleet Feet)---they are a chain...may have one in PHx...I took my hiking poles...not necessary. The trails are for the donkeys.....so they are wide...flat and dusty....hardly any rock. Go to a hiking store and buy a few books on the Grand Canyon. Barnes and noble...has a few---like Falcon guides---etc. There was 70 year old men who left the top on the bright angel trail---6 am and were back to the rim at 4 pm....they got one mile from the river.......I was to scared to try that far down the 1st time. Many people hike solo out of the canyon since....it is an individual thing with cardio pulling you and your pack up....but it is not that hard. Not many people were in groups...biggest group was of 2 people together.....people spread out...rest...at different times. I rested only 2 times with a 2000 ft accent.....the rim is 7,000 ft...If you need a guide.....I will go with you...Sandy
JRinAZ
on 10/4/06 12:02 pm - Layton, UT
You are my hero!!!! You are a total mountain goat and you ROCK!!!!!...........I tell patients about you all the time and how you have worked your weight loss surgery to perfection! You do supplements, protein drinks, support groups and EXERCISE!!!!! = Recipie for Sucess!!!! Big High Fives and Huggggz, Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 10/5/06 3:39 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce dear----you are to kind. I just woke up from surgery determined to win the battle of obesity.....forevr. I lived a hermits life to long........I sat on the side lines---eating myself to misery and beyond. I allowed myself misery. Now, all I want is happy days....and happy days can be obtained if you want it bad enough. Let's go hiking.....seriously. I have several books on hikes in the Superstitions....I plan to hit the State park soon and hike ther. Piccacho peak...is another option....you wanted to do it last year. Maybe Darlene...Ej and you would like to try it----and anyone else. Picchaco is tall bec. it is all out there by itself....but really......moderate hike. It is getting cooler out.....I have state parks pass Sandy
JRinAZ
on 10/5/06 1:12 pm - Layton, UT
Sandy, I want to say .........let's DO IT!!!! But...I have filled my platter to overflowing right now! I teach music lessons, work for Dr. Simpson, direct a church choir, facilitate a support group, work out regularly at the gym, ...............and the list goes on...........and so, you're wondering what my excuse is? !!!!.....you're right! I don't have one! Let's plan a hike to the top of Piccacho Peak!!!! After the Holiday rush though, K????? Hugggz you way! Joyce
Most Active