HELP: What to Eat 6 Weeks Post - Op?

cj29
on 10/1/06 7:17 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Well, on Tuesday 10/03rd I am 5 weeks Post-Op and will be allowed to eat real food. To be honest, I've tried some "real" food like 3 small bites of pasta and 2 bites of a shrimp taco and it came to see me again. Yuck! Those who are successful in your weight loss, what do you eat in an average day? I am having a very hard time taking in enough fluids, protein and getting all my walking in that I've stalled myself this last 2weeks or so and have a weight loss of 30lbs. I know, I know, when have I lost 30 pounds in 5 weeks. I also know I am not doing what my Dr recommends but can't keep up with the program. I also think it's my lack of having energy, I still stay up late and sleep in for 10-12 hours. I need to get on a schedule, but how? What type of schedule? Does anyone have any advise for this paniced girl? What to eat now? Thanks, Carrie
CKoehlerGMa
on 10/2/06 5:28 am
Hi Carrie First: Don't panic Second: It is rather normal to *stall* around 5 weeks. It happened to me also and other people I know. On my average day I will have 2 ounces per meal. I avoid red meat, I eat chicken alot and fish and seafood beans and cheese,(lowfat). I avoid pasta. For protein I buy Profect. It is a bit more costly but worth it to me. I have been known to eat a protein bar now and then. The lack of energy is very normal too. I was told that would go away around 2 months and it did. You will get it back very soon. So thats what I know ,. Hang in there, you sound alot like I did at that time. It really does get better. Good Luck, stay in touch with us here.
JRinAZ
on 10/2/06 5:41 am - Layton, UT
Hey Claudette, I have a zillion proteins that I love and have tried the Profect...thinking it was "o.K." ....But, the thing I like about it is that it can be packed in a suitecase or backpack and doesn't need to be temperature tended. .... Do you have a source that is reasonable? I know the Tucson folks do orders but wondered about something up here in Phoenix area? Thanks! Joyce
CINABOBINA
on 10/2/06 7:13 am
Carrie Try some cottage cheese, steamed shrimp with tiny bit of coctail sauce , My doctor does not believe in " normal food " for the first 6 months - your stoma is much like a baby's stomach and you need to baby it along , when you try heavy foods- they are going to come up ! Try chicken with light dipping sauce's , tuna with extra mayo ( light kind ) breads , pasta may be too heavy for your tummy ! You will be able to eat more complex foods later on . Also be sure to take your vitamins - "B's will help your energy .. Sounds like you tried to much too fast ?? My average day is 4oz cottate chees with a few chunks of frozen fruit . 2 turkey slices and some veggies for lunch , dinner is normaly 4 oz shrimp and sauce , green beans .. proteins shake once ina while for a mid afternoon snack . Make a Schedule and stick to it . try a 30 min nap over sleeping for 10-12 hrs , go out and get some exercise - will help boost your energy - pool ?? walk? go shopping ??
Tiffany McGee
on 10/2/06 8:05 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Carrie - I don't know if this will help you. But this is what I have doing, I'm 9 weeks out (soon to be 10 weeks). I haven't heard anything bad as of yet. Although I'm not 100% sure I am doing this right anyway. I also stalled at 5 weeks. Which completely freaked me out as well. I thought it was over. I agree you should put yourself on a schedule. Do you work nights? J/C, if not, you should probably start getting to bed earlier. The mornings are just to loverly to miss. I do walk a lot during the day (Job related) and during my lunch I walk about 1.5 miles for kicks and giggles. For your drinks, try "Water Sensations". They are really good and they make water tollerable. It is a no carb, no calorie, flavored packet you can add to your water that really helps. I'm having trouble with water right now, myself. Powder Protein makes me vomit, so I've been getting my protein from New Whey protein drinks. Any way - Here is a usual day in the life of me (Food wise). Wake Up - Multi Vitamin and B12 New Whey Protein Drink (100 Cal, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 25g Protein) Breakfast 4 oz Dannon Carb & Sugar Control yogurt (60 Cal, 3g Fat, 3g Carbs 5g Protein) with a 1/4 cup granola (90 Cal, 6g Fat, 20g Carbs, 3g Protein) Calcium Supplement Snack Cheese stick (80 cal,6g Fat, 0.5g Carbs, 7g Protein ) New Whey Protein Drink (100 Cal, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 25g Protein) Lunch 2.5 oz Tuna (100 Cal, 1.5g Fat, 0g Carbs, 20g Protein) w/ 2 tbsp of Miracle Whip(74 cal, 6g Fat, 4.6g Carbs, 0.2g Protein) (altho I sometimes have a crustless Quiche or a meat/cheese roll) 2 Multi Vitamins Snack Cheese Stick or Meat Roll or 1/4 Cup of Nuts (for fiber reasons) New Whey Protein Drink (100 Cal, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 25g Protein) Dinner 4 oz Dannon Carb & Sugar Control yogurt (60 Cal, 3g Fat, 3g Carbs 5g Protein) with a 1/4 cup granola (90 Cal, 6g Fat, 20g Carbs, 3g Protein) OR I eat 3 oz of whatever meat I've made for the rest of the family. New Whey Protein Drink (100 Cal, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 25g Protein) Iron and Vitamin C I also have a couple SF popsicles throughout the day as a treat for being good or bad or just being me. I really hope this helps. Tiff
vquigley
on 10/3/06 2:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Carrie, After we talked the other night I thought of a couple of ideas for you. One of the things that I have been eating is about 1/2 baked potato with a little butter and cottage cheese on top. Have you tried yogurt? Another thing that I ate was refried beans with a little cheese on top. I hope things are going better for you. Sending skinny wishes your way, Virginia
Most Active