Surgery 11/8-what do you recommend I buy for food, vitamins etc.........

KT300
on 9/30/06 6:12 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hello there, I'm having my surgery on Nov. 8 and was wondering what kind of things I need to stock my kitchen with??? Favorite protein liquids or types of vitamins??? I always think referrals from others who have walked before me are the best. I read something about a pill cutter, baby medicine dispenser and Carnation Instant Breakfast. Any suggestions would be great!!!!! Katie
tweet-tweet
on 9/30/06 11:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 03/17/14
Water, water, water. Crystal Light or SF Kool aid (I personally like CL - Tangerine strawberry, Strawberry/bannana/orange) SF popsicles SF pudding broth variety of protein powders - I got a bunch of sample packs so that I can figure out what kind I like before I buy a big container. I'm still looking for this in stores, but at the hospital, they had SF italian ice. Yummy! Baby medicine dispenser - I personally prefer the syringes to the spoon. When you pick up your perscription at the pharmacy, they should give you one for free.
melodieangela
on 10/1/06 12:32 am - phoenix, AZ
Centrum makes and adult chewable vitamin. I had lap band on Sept 25th my sister made me chicken soup and stained everything out of it except the broth. It was wonderful, and tasted so much better than what you buy. Make some and freeze it in ice cube trays, when you are ready to eat them pop them out and put in the micro wave. Good luck on your surgery. Melodie
KT300
on 10/1/06 6:45 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks soooooo much for the great tips!!! Where do you get protein powders, HiHealth? Thanks again, Katie
JRinAZ
on 10/1/06 8:14 am - Layton, UT
Katie, The protein experts have all found resources for almost wholesale prices. My Chandler Support Group gets all the Syntrax proteins at cost and does big bulk orders. That would be all the Nectar flavors, the Matrix flavors and the Champion Pure Whey STack. Locally, you can find a great selection of the protein's that "we" should have at Nutrition Warehouse. The owner, Steve, caters specifically to Weight Loss Patients. In fact, if you tell him that you are a WLS patient then he will give you a 10% or more discount of your total purchase. I'd recommend ordering samples from vitalady.com or the PVL Whey Gourmet's are to die for delish in flavors like caramel dip, cookies n cream, pina colada breeze, blueberry, choc chip mint, white choc, etc. You can buy these samples at bethboutique.com or order the tubs at http://www.a1nutritionproducts.com/buy/pvl/whey_gourmet My favorite protein drink is the Matrix chocolate. I drink it as a gourmet "hot" chocolate by mixing 1 scoop into about 2 oz of warm tap water with a whisk. I add a shot of sugar free Torani chocolate syrup and a shot of Torani sugar free caramel OR peppermint and whisk....Then I top if off with boiling water to make about a 20 oz delicious drink!!!!! It is very satisfying and is my first taste of the day and my last taste before I go to sleep at night! My 2nd favorite is the banana scream from Chamption Pure Whey Stack. I like this one made a little thick (less water) and poored over Sonic crushed ice! Yummy! Enjoy! Joyce
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/1/06 6:06 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Katie! If you're not on a special diet your surgeon has given you, I'd suggest you go out and eat ALL your favorite foods now that you think you might have a craving for after your surgery. You won't be able to eat red meat, noodles, bread, rice for awhile. This was suggested to me and it helped me get through this past 11 months. Good luck! Sheryl 320/186/160 Oct. 28th, 2005
KT300
on 10/1/06 6:50 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Sheryl, I do appreciate hearing that, 'cause I fear deprivation, I am slowly checking off my favorite foods, they do want me to lose 15lbs before surgery if I can, so trying to limit how many of my favorite foods. My 12th wedding anniversary is coming up and I want Italian, last meal etc.....have you had cravings post op? Thanks, Katie
JRinAZ
on 10/1/06 8:23 am - Layton, UT
Katie, I have a very different take on this "last meal" = deprivation idea! I seriously think you shoudl reconsider trying to fit it all in as if you are a dying soul going like a lamb to the slaughter! That feeds into our mental instability and sets us up for failure as a post-op! You WILL enjoy food post surgery! You WILL enjoy eating out with people! You WILL enjoy some old favorites and may learn how to be creative with making them low carb, low fat and lower in calorie. You WILL have a fantastic lifestyle! Our HEAD issues can never be addressed if we feed our brains like they'll soon be starving to death. And, y'know it's the brain you're feeding and not your hunger! How about spending some of that prep time hunting for yummy healthy alternatives to some of your current likes? Search the internet for recipes. I just fixed low carb crepes this morning with ricotta, a little Splenda and a bit of strawberries. I used a scoop of protein powder instead of the flour and it was sooooooooo yummy! NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS!!!!! Look forward! Don't mourn the present! Be grateful for this chance at health and new energy and a better quality of life! O.K......I've probably ticked every one totally off! Big Hugggggz and skinny wishes to you for a safe and uneventful surgery! Joyce
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/1/06 8:55 am - Prescott, AZ
As you can see -- I'm not a failure at this and I did feed my cravings pre-op. i did have cravings post-op but came to realizations such as: I like the sauce instead of the macaroni -- so I spread a little spaghetti sauce on a cracker. Fixed that one.\ hugs! Sheryl 320/186/160 Oct. 28th, 2005
JRinAZ
on 10/1/06 10:26 am - Layton, UT
Sheryl, I wasn't taking any shots at you; PROMISE! I think you've done an amazing job post-op and love hearing your enthusiastic posts! You definitely aren't the only one who had a few "last suppers" ! I just know (working in a weight loss surgery practice) that the biggest mind game we can play with ourselves is that weight loss surgery will "cure" our eating disorders! And...cravings and giving in to binges is definitely an eating disorder that will bite you on the post side of surgery as badly as on the pre side of surgery. Those of us who are out of the "honeymoon" phase of bypass surgery (not lapband) will be battling our eating disorders forever! It's an amazing tool if we allow our minds to work with it and not against it! And, she did say she needed to lose a few before her surgery date......So, I'm for suggesting a nice big yummy Salad (minus the spinach!!!!) Don't be mad at me! ....In fact, your recreation of your "flavors" is a perfect example of what we can do to hit the spot and stay healthy! Big Huggggz, Joyce
Most Active