Caffiene

Linda S.
on 9/18/06 4:23 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Can someone explain to me why caffiene is out. I suppose it means tea also, unless decaf. Thanks
Melissa P
on 9/19/06 1:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Linda, Caffeine is considered a diuretic. So you would have to drink 16 oz of a caffeinated beverage to equal 8 oz of water. After surgery you are going to have a hard time getting in all of your fluid. So it is important not to have caffeine because they do not want you to dehydrate. On my surgeons plan we are allowed 8 oz of caffeinated tea or coffee at 4 months out. So I am now drinking a glass of tea daily. Hope this helps. Thanks! Melissa
Linda S.
on 9/19/06 4:07 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks Melissa, I learned my lesson. I have been off caffiene for a few months, I did some tea yesterday, and I was up all night, I posted so many things, and was talking to the east coast OH members early morn. Now today, I am in the dumps, the downside of caffiene. I am so excited to get this show on the road, I hope my surgery date will be soon! I hope they don't give me one that is 2 months from now I am taking my cranky butt to bed!
JRinAZ
on 9/19/06 12:30 pm - Layton, UT
Linda, Some of the issues with caffeine: stimulant...trend is that it stimulates appetite, increases heart rate and can contribute to insomnia. dieretic ... can dehydrate you addictive.....(no need for explanation; we all know the dangers of any addiction) If you drink it as a post-op in the form of cola drinks, then the carbonation can be an issue.....(forces food out of your pouch) and the biggest reason we shouldn't be drinking caffeinated beverages: It is a POOR substitute for WATER!!!! Huggggz, Joyce
Linda S.
on 9/19/06 2:40 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks, now I understand. I did drink a strong cup of tea yesterday and I was up all night! So...its back to no caffiene. I should have my surgery date by Friday....... Good to hear from you Joyce, you must be super busy, haven't "seen" you around much.
JRinAZ
on 9/19/06 3:19 pm - Layton, UT
I can be up all night just by sipping chocolate protein drinks! I'm very very caffeine sensitive! It's crazy stuff! Yup! I've been crazy busy which is mostly the way I love to live life. But, I'm always shouting the "TGIF" thing when the week starts to wind up! LOL! ..... I work for Dr. Simpson (Lap Band) and he's been rolling in the patients lately! I Love it! It means that many many folks will be living a better quality of life through weight loss! I'll stay tuned for your big Friday announcement!!!! I suspect there will be fireworks going off in your neighborhood! Big Hugggz you way! Joyce
Most Active