How much protein per day is right?

horizontallychallenged
on 9/17/06 10:34 am
Ok, my last question of the day here ... How much protein per day is good? I've read a lot of "thoughts" on the total grams per day, is it actually written down somewhere? Do the doctors tell you or the nutritionist? Is it grams per kg body weight, grams per pounds weight, grams, what is the actual amount we should be getting total per day?
JRinAZ
on 9/17/06 11:00 am - Layton, UT
The teaching on protein is that our bodies can NOT absorb more than 30 grams per nutrional intake. Body builders often shoot for over 200 grams per day and most hospital programs recommend that their post-ops target between 60 and 100 grams per day. The ASBS council (big pow wow of Bariatric surgeons) have recommended 100 grams per day for post Weight loss surgery patients. So, a typical protein drink is usually 23 grams per scoop; which is just about right for one intake. Some protein drinks that are ready mixed are 40 or more grams. The medical teachings suggest that we would then flush away teh balance of those programs that are not absorbed. Sooooo.....you can take in more than 30 at one time but it most likely is getting flushed away and not being used by your body. When you get hooked up with your hospital program then they will give you exacat directions to follow! You'll be good to go! Huggggz, Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 9/17/06 12:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
I drink 3-4 protein drinks a day at 22 months out. I like Unjury. You buy it from the internet only. It has no carbs...no fats...low caloried....whey isolate protein. Sandy
Most Active